Chapala.com Webboard

Usual wait times for various healthcare services

5 hours ago, ibarra said:

Isn't this the same post that Pedro de la Fuente posted and was subsequently closed by our moderator?  

Again a first time poster (joined less than an hour before post) re posting a message from 3 other first time posters on a thread about wait times..  PERSONALLY I DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD OF IT

It would take a miracle for so many new people to find this board to post this at the same time. 

• Haha 1

I find it highly suspicious. The woman didn't have her own Doctor to go to for checking the INR? Age of woman? When in 2019 was operation performed? How frequently was INR done? (since it takes a while to get the dosage correct and that's assuming that everything else in the body is working correctly such as the liver).  Too vague by far.

7 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Again a first time poster re posting a message from 3 other first time posters.  PERSONALLY I DO NOT BELIEVE A WORD OF IT

It would take a miracle for so many new people to find this board to post this at the same time. 

I am sure that you have lived in Mexico long enough to know that miracles do happen.

Take the times the Virgin of Guadalupe visits..the lake level goes up

For my GP, if it is an urgent matter, I call to find out if he is in, and if so, I just go in and wait. Otherwise, I make an appointment within the week. I have never waited longer than that.  He has also made evening house calls when my husband could not travel to his office, and it was not "ambulance/ER" worthy.

For my orthopedist, if I use the one at the Ajijic Clinic, it's dependent on the day of the week that he is there and his surgery schedule. Usually a week, because he is there 1x a week. 

For my GDL orthopedist who is either in his office or in surgery, it depends on his schedule. For non emergencies, 1-1.5 weeks, and they will call me if there is an opening earlier. 

Dentist - We schedule cleanings, etc., in advance, but in an urgent need, she will open up her office immediately. It helps that she lives in the neighborhood behind us, but I have heard the same about most dentists. For routine fillings, crowns, etc., an appointment is usually available within the week. For more complicated work that requires the assistance of an oral surgeon who will come n from GDL, usually a week.

My ophthalmologist can usually fit a person in within one week, at most 1-1.5 weeks. He does surgeries and on occasion has emergencies. I had a retinal detachment in progress and he saw me withiin 30 minutes, asking the room full of patients heading to GDL for surgery to please be patient, that he would be about 40 minutes late for all of them, but it might save my eyesight. It did. He saw me on a Friday morning and I was in surgery the next Monday morning. Had I not eaten breakfast, I would have been whisked to the eye center in GDL and operated on ahead of his cataract patients.

Hope that helps .

• Like 1

Please act according to the information given on your website, You people show Hospital San Antonio del Lago de Chapala is one of the best hospital and the care of the patients is taken at very high level, which is not true. Being admitted to the private ward, if the facility is given as same as general ward then it is of no use to get admitted in Private ward. I hospitalized my son two months back and faced many such issues. I had to shift my son to another hospital due to your staff’s carelessness. 

I have decided that I will never visit San Antonio del Lago de Chapala nor I will even suggest anyone to come here. You people charge a huge amount beyond the capacity of a patient but do not give any importance to the patients and the facilities. No basic attention given, no changing of bed-sheets and when asked to do so the reply we get is it can't be changed now. The hospital charges a decent amount at a time of admission from insurance availing patients and giving assurance that it will be refunded if there is no use of non-surgical item. But at the time of final bill you people add extra money in that and give the patients a hefty bill. If a person is having low BP and you people get him admitted, immediately after 24 hours you people discharge him and makes a ransom bill without doing any check-up, then it is not fair. There are many such complaints which you people do not focus. This is a poorly managed hospital in Chapala, Mexico.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Rosa Barerra said:

Please act according to the information given on your website, You people show Hospital San Antonio del Lago de Chapala is one of the best hospital and the care of the patients is taken at very high level, which is not true. Being admitted to the private ward, if the facility is given as same as general ward then it is of no use to get admitted in Private ward. I hospitalized my son two months back and faced many such issues. I had to shift my son to another hospital due to your staff’s carelessness. 

I have decided that I will never visit San Antonio del Lago de Chapala nor I will even suggest anyone to come here. You people charge a huge amount beyond the capacity of a patient but do not give any importance to the patients and the facilities. No basic attention given, no changing of bed-sheets and when asked to do so the reply we get is it can't be changed now. The hospital charges a decent amount at a time of admission from insurance availing patients and giving assurance that it will be refunded if there is no use of non-surgical item. But at the time of final bill you people add extra money in that and give the patients a hefty bill. If a person is having low BP and you people get him admitted, immediately after 24 hours you people discharge him and makes a ransom bill without doing any check-up, then it is not fair. There are many such complaints which you people do not focus. This is a poorly managed hospital in Chapala, Mexico.

Yet another FIRST TIME POSTER  (who joined an hour ago) FOUND THIS THREAD and has a problem with a certain hospital. .  AMAZING  and for me UNBELIEVABLE 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've been using Dr. Carlos Garcia since I came to the lake part time each year in 1997. I believe he is the lead GP at the San Antonio clinic/Hospital.  Is he perfect? No, I do not think anyone is. But I would highly recommend him and shall continue to use him during the 9 or so months I am lakeside, each year.

So in short, I, as a patient thereof, would HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE SAN ANTONIO CLINIC/HOSPITAL.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, johanson said:

I've been using Dr. Carlos Garcia since I came to the lake part time each year in 1997. I believe he is the lead GP at the San Antonio clinic/Hospital.  Is he perfect? No, I do not think anyone is. But I would highly recommend him and shall continue to use him during the 9 or so months I am lakeside, each year.

So in short, I, as a patient thereof, would HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE SAN ANTONIO CLINIC/HOSPITAL.

Give them hell Pete, one recommendation from PJ is worth than 100  negativos  from a troller like me :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Pretty hard for THAT Virgin to come here since she resides permanently her own Basilica in Mexico City.

You are correct

The Virgin that visits the lake is from Basílica de Nuestra Señora de Zapopan.   Not the Virgin of Guadalupe in Mexico City

It is made of corn cane paste and was brought by Fray Antonio de Segovia from Pátzcuaro to Jalisco lands in the year 1530. It is an image that represents the Virgin of Zapopan, pregnant Virgin, or also as it is known of the expectation . She measures 34 cm from head to toe and has an oval face. She has her hands folded in an attitude of prayer and her eyes are large, fixed and open, greenish blue. 

Our Lady of Expectation of Zapopan , Our Lady of Zapopan, or Virgin of Zapopan is venerated in Zapopan , Jalisco . She is also known as La Generala , La Reina y Madre de Jalisco , La Estrella de la Evangelización , among other names that she has received from the people of Jalisco. She is the Universal patron saint of the Archdiocese of Guadalajara , her pilgrimage is on October 12 and her festivity is on December 18. 

• Thanks 3

I truly respect Pete, but this is one time that I disagree. I can accept that he's had good experiences there, but I also know why. I can't be specific about any one doctor - for all of the obvious legal reasons - but I will say that what certain doctors believe you have ($$!!)/or don't have (-$) will make a HUGE difference in how they treat you.  Yes, this is true anywhere, but more so here. I don't say this lightly but from direct, personal experiences (Note:  plural).  And in many cases, "first time" posters aren't, but they choose to use a 2nd name because they get attacked if they don't goose step along with the popular opinion. I've had several folks tell me their own horror stories, but they will never post here for that very reason. Quite frankly, some of the stories are scary as hell. I grew up in a medical family; I understand that not everyone is going to get well or have a perfect ending but there is a huge difference between health care and health scare. While I take some of the "newbie" comments with a large grain of salt, I also believe that sometimes people are so incensed that they come to this forum in frustration to write of their own experiences. 

2 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Give them hell Pete, one recommendation from PJ is worth than 100  negativos  from a troller like me :) 

And I will take my own experiences, but YMMV.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Here is my experience.  It was not good.  I had colonoscopy there.  I was left in a cold hallway waiting outside the OR.  I told them I was cold.  No one make any attempt to get a blanket.

After the procedure, I was put in bed and neglected. Bed was not cleaned. I asked for help three times.  I was then told them had staff shortage.  Not my problem.  I am paying a high price (for Mexico) for care.  I was also placed on a bed near the emergency entrance so everything was open.  Only bathroom nearby by was one everyone used.

I will never go there again voluntarily.

I also want to comment on Dr. Carlos Garcia.  When my spouse was alive, we got scripts from him for pain.  He made a mistake so that it would not be filled.  That of itself is not good, but can be corrected.   I went to his office to get a new one and he was incredibly rude and kept me waiting while he saw two other patients.  He knew this was an urgent need and could easily excused himself,  just re-written it and given it to me.  He was angry with me when I stopped in before he took yet another patient.  I want to add that I was very calm and polite with him.  I was not angry when I got there, but really, he was aggravated that he got interrupted. This was a prescription for Morphine, so it was urgent.

I can say two more things and I am sure someone will not like it.  This week a friend overhead him say "we need to stick it to the gringos."  Also, another physician told me that Garcia really didn't care about patients, only making plenty of money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Tingting said:

I've posted at least twice on RMC. My experiences were good and excellent. It would be nice to hear from others. 

I had an emergency about a month ago and had someone take me there.  The care was pretty good, although my case was simple.  One criticism I do have of their procedure and that is, that the guard should not be stopping people to get their information when they are going to the Emergency Entrance.  The can get your name once you check in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zeb said:

Here is my experience.  It was not good.  I had colonoscopy there.  I was left in a cold hallway waiting outside the OR.  I told them I was cold.  No one make any attempt to get a blanket.

After the procedure, I was put in bed and neglected. Bed was not cleaned. I asked for help three times.  I was then told them had staff shortage.  Not my problem.  I am paying a high price (for Mexico) for care.  I was also placed on a bed near the emergency entrance so everything was open.  Only bathroom nearby by was one everyone used.

I will never go there again voluntarily.

I also want to comment on Dr. Carlos Garcia.  When my spouse was alive, we got scripts from him for pain.  He made a mistake so that it would not be filled.  That of itself is not good, but can be corrected.   I went to his office to get a new one and he was incredibly rude and kept me waiting while he saw two other patients.  He knew this was an urgent need and could easily excused himself,  just re-written it and given it to me.  He was angry with me when I stopped in before he took yet another patient.  I want to add that I was very calm and polite with him.  I was not angry when I got there, but really, he was aggravated that he got interrupted. This was a prescription for Morphine, so it was urgent.

I can say two more things and I am sure someone will not like it.  This week a friend overhead him say "we need to stick it to the gringos."  Also, another physician told me that Garcia really didn't care about patients, only making plenty of money.

Why do you want to cloud the reputation of an excellent hospital because of your experience with 1[ONE] doctor. Yes I  know he is a financial partner in HSAT

I call BS on the rest of your alleged experience base on my wife's,several friends and my experience at HSAT

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I do not very often post on this webboatd   for several reasons .. mainly because  of the snarky attitudes and comments, sometimes ‘attacks’  made by others when they express their opinion or describe their particular experiences within  the   topic  being discussed such as this one, which is different than another  persons opinion / experience .    I feel that many people feel the same way, and do not want to expose  themselves  to this behavior when they post  on this or any  other board.. so many people remain ’silent’ .

As to this topic, I fortunately have not had to use any of the two urgent care facilities mentioned in this topic.    As a friend to several people who have had to use these services, their experiences are unique like they are and the circumstances that they were dealing with.   Within the last two months, two different  friends  have  had  medical  situations  and utilized the services of  RMC.  One friend  had  a  medical  emergency in the early hours of  a Sunday morning and frightened about the seriousness of  the problem  and arrived at the ER. The guard seeing that this person have limited mobility assisted her inside, and she was seen immediately by the ER doctor on duty. The doctor  actually listened to what the person  said,  [ sometimes this  is a rare trait ]  asked questioned to obtain more [ valuable ] information , answered questions and  explained what the treatment plan was to be done . She  returned home, with follow-up care instructions, a way to contact the  treating ER doctor if there  should be  any further questions to be answered, etc.. In summary  the  care  was appropriate and very good , did not require  a bank loan to pay the  bill,  and the  person felt if they had an emergency again  the future  they would return to this 24 hour care facility.  The other person, who has in the past been hospitalized in the States [ so  has a point of reference about  in-patient care treatment standards  ]  was an inpatient at this facility for a week of medical treatment, and said that the care as excellent, from nursing staff  and physician care, and if  circumstances should  ever occur  again and needed to be hospitalized locally would return to this facility.

Now. these two people had positive experiences with RMC, possibly someone else has not.   That  however  does not make their personal experience and opinion  invalid.       It is their experience,   as  you  have had   your  own experience under  your set of circumstances   forming your opinion.  

I listen to the person who is expressing their own  unique personal experience and set of circumstances,  ask questions   to better understand each unique situation , consider the   source,  think,    and form       my own opinion as  to who  to see and where to go if I need medical care, which I  have done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not a realistic comparison. The Riberas hospital stands alone. The San Antonio hospital is virtually a shopping center with two hospitals, a farmacia or three, at least one restaurant, an eye glasses office and the list goes on. It is full most of the time. Lots of shoppers there. Not the same at all. Not even similar.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

Not a realistic comparison. The Riberas hospital stands alone. The San Antonio hospital is virtually a shopping center with two hospitals, a farmacia or three, at least one restaurant, an eye glasses office and the list goes on. It is full most of the time. Lots of shoppers there. Not the same at all. Not even similar.

Only hospital there is HSAT. Quality care is not a hospital. Yes there are a few businesses including a lab there but there sure ain't a lot of shoppers as you suggest.