Chapala.com Webboard

Dog walker needed in Ajijic Centro

20 hours ago, Bandol said:

Good dog Greta needs a reliable dog walker because her owner´s knees are shot.  Greta is a medium/large leash-trained German Shepherd mix.  

My walker charges 240p an hour. I only use him usually 3 times a week. Interested?

240 pesos an hour to walk a dog.. You have to get kidding. That is what I pay a mason for the day in Chiapas,. I know there is a big differnce between the 2 states but still.. A housesitter is 250 pesos a day and for one hour walk 240 pesos.. Sorry to say but it is crazy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, johanson said:

My full time gardener of many years makes  $63.75 pesos per hour.  $240 pesos or about $12 US per hour to walk a dog seems way out of line.

Sister-in-law in California pays $21.50 an hour, so $12 an hour here seems about right, no?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

so $12 an hour here seems about right, no?

No.

And why are you comparing it to California? You should be comparing it to the going wage for other labor here. You are definitely being ripped off for someone to walk your dog- it's not like it's skilled labor.

• Like 2

Actually, it's very skilled labour. I don't trust my dogs to just anyone to walk them. Most of you are missing the point entirely. We'd rather walk our own dogs and not pay anyone but that is not always possible. If you want to take your car to a cheap mechanic that is your choice. I want my beloved dogs in much better hands.

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Actually, it's very skilled labour. I don't trust my dogs to just anyone to walk them. Most of you are missing the point entirely. We'd rather walk our own dogs and not pay anyone but that is not always possible. If you want to take your car to a cheap mechanic that is your choice. I want my beloved dogs in much better hands.

More money does not mean better hands.

Do you really think it's just about the money? It's like hiring anyone. You check references and get referrals. Value gets rewarded. Furthermore, I have seen some of the "dog walkers" around Riberas. Somebody is paying somebody to stand on a street corner and play with his cell phone while the two dogs sit looking up at him. That's throwing away money. I've seen somebody else "walking" the dogs on a bicycle... small dogs very close to the wheels and a great Dane having to take such short steps that his legs must have ached when he got home. Your dogs can't talk. Do you KNOW what you're paying for???

• Thanks 2

Yes, obviously a dog walker has to be good with dogs and care about them, not playing on their cell phone when they are supposed to be providing the dog with an enjoyable outing. But it isn't something I would call skilled labor, i.e. having to study and work at for years  to be proficient at.

And Bowie didn't mention how long his dog walker takes his dog out for. But 240 pesos to take the dog for a walk seems all out of proportion to wages in Mexico. Guys hump 5 gallon pails of cement on their shoulders up a ladder for 8 hours a day for 300 pesos. How is taking some gringo's dog for a walk for an hour or whatever worth 240 pesos? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Yes, obviously a dog walker has to be good with dogs and care about them, not playing on their cell phone when they are supposed to be providing the dog with an enjoyable outing. But it isn't something I would call skilled labor, i.e. having to study and work at for years  to be proficient at.

And Bowie didn't mention how long his dog walker takes his dog out for. But 240 pesos to take the dog for a walk seems all out of proportion to wages in Mexico. Guys hump 5 gallon pails of cement on their shoulders up a ladder for 8 hours a day for 300 pesos. How is taking some gringo's dog for a walk for an hour or whatever worth 240 pesos? 

And, others clean house for 480 pesos for 6 hours. Not near the physical labor, yet pays more. Maybe it is the "training" that makes the difference?

Just one more thought, how many or these walkers do you think are picking up the poop? Particularly when there are multiple dogs being walked at once or are on a bike or on the phone. I was in my car behind a walker with multiple dogs who was dragging one little dog behind him. I tooted my horn, he turned and said the dog was OK. I told him no it wasn't it was trying to poop and he was just pulling it along. In the case of dog walkers you do not always get what you pay for.

• Like 1

Speaking of poop.  I rarely see anyone picking it up.  We live on a corner lot in Riberas and every day I find these small and large presents left for us.  We have a tall perimeter wall so I don't see when it is done but when I am out walking I see people walking dogs and it is the rare person who is  picking up the poop.  I am not anti-dog as I have a good one at the ranch but I am anti-dogs in restaurants and pooping on my grass. It would be nice if these dog walkers took care of the poop but the ones I've seen don't carry the essentials to do this.

• Like 1

Considering the number of dogs that are loose on the streets in Riberas, I suggest you talk to the dogs. Seriously? My dog walker carries a roll of pick up bags in his clothing. On the other hand, my girls are too fastidious to poop while out walking. They head for their grass mats to poop and pee the second they get home. Clean up is a daily job but I don't allow my girls loose on the street.  Cleaning up after your dog(s) allows you to monitor one aspect of their health easily. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ferret said:

On the other hand, my girls are too fastidious to poop while out walking. 

My dog, who I sadly had to have euthanized in Oct, was like that. As I live in the countryside, close to the arroyo, she had been free to roam the area from the time she was a puppy and became very private about her business. She wouldn't even pee in my yard. I would see her trot off to the back of a big empty field behind my house in the mornings for that, never near where anyone lives. 

It was a hassle when I took the one and only car trip to Canada with her (after that I got a house and dog sitter), because I would stop to gas up, and take a driving break every 3 hours. I would put her on the leash and walk her around, but she wouldn't pee or poo while on a leash, which had never occurred to me.

Instead she would just hold it and wait until I stopped wherever we were going to spend the night and I had to find a safe place to let her off-leash. She'd run 50 or a hundred yards away in some empty lot or field, squat down and pee for like 5 minutes, walk around a bit and then do her pooping.

I agree it's important to check their excrement from time to time. I almost never saw hers, as she was so private about it, but she would sometimes go when I took walks with her down my country roads. Once I was shocked to see scores of one inch flat white worms. She had  tapeworms, who knows for how long, and I didn't even know.