Chapala.com Webboard

Traffic

RickS

For some unknown reason traffic was great today - Weds.

Around 10:30 AM I sailed past the five lights at Superlake and Walmart, drove through La Floresta and was only stopped briefly at the Tianguis.

I shoulda bought a lottery ticket!

SunFan

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have said for about the past 5 or 6 yrs that you can hardly tell when the snowbirds arrive or leave because traffic is permanently bad now that Ajijic has been found by babyboomers from the north.

It is not about the local governments tying things in knots, as Mainecoons claims.  IT is the shear number or volume of traffic and people now living in the Lakeside area.  You cannot blame the government when we have no real room for infrastructure improvement when the carretera is between the lake and the mountains.  Tough situation.

I feel sorry for many of the poor Mexicans who cannot afford the price of gasoline. We gringos are to blame for the traffic gridlock.

• Like 1

I think that it would be interesting if a 'count by nationality' could be done. Just for fun.

What percentage of drivers on the carretera on a given non-weekend day are gringos and what percentage are not. Then count on Saturday and Sunday.... for the obvious reason.  Might be a surprising count on the weekday. 

I agree with mexijims1... only so many cars can run down one 2-lane road before it comes to a virtual standstill. And that number of cars here reached a breaking point several years ago. Can our version of Hoy No Circula be far away?!

Hoy No Circula doesn't work. People just got another car with a different license plate. The fact that they can is just another example of the growing middle class in Mexico coupled with the ability to purchase vehicles on credit. I have found that the traffic moves along the best when the majority of the lights are flashing yellow.  Exception for the needed red lights and arrows at the Walmart intersection. 

• Like 1

Don't forget Rick...... the construction BOOM between west Ajijic and San Juan Cosala has meant things will never be the same unless a magic fairy appears and makes a new minimum 4-lane road.   And don't hold your breath on that one either.....

When we first moved here in 2005 the family that works for me  had four kids and one vehicle.  Now all the kids are grown and have kids of their own.  The over all group has around 6 vehicles and 2 motos.  That story is replicated in the community and explains a lot of the increased traffic.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, bournemouth said:

When we first moved here in 2005 the family that works for me  had four kids and one vehicle.  Now all the kids are grown and have kids of their own.  The over all group has around 6 vehicles and 2 motos.  That story is replicated in the community and explains a lot of the increased traffic.

Now that is realism! It boggles my mind how many ferners here believe their insignificant #'s affect things like this around here.-SNORK!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Now that is realism! It boggles my mind how many ferners here believe their insignificant #'s affect things like this around here.-SNORK!

I agree. Many foreigners I speak to have an inflated opinion of how much impact and significance they have in Mexico. Keep motoring and keep your head down..

SunFan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

Foreigners definitely increase traffic 

jajajajajajaja. Have you deluded yourself into thinking that a smattering of ferners driving around here are more responsible for increase in traffic than Mexicans who outnumber you in THEIR  country by zillions. That's like saying Mexicans are responsible for mucho mas traffic in California.-SNORK!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

Foreigners definitely increase traffic but also increase the economy. Many restaurants benefit from foreigners and other businesses by foreigners supporting them. 

Vehicles increase traffic no matter who is driving them.  Businesses benefit from anyone that supports them. 

9 hours ago, mexijims1 said:

I have said for about the past 5 or 6 yrs that you can hardly tell when the snowbirds arrive or leave because traffic is permanently bad now that Ajijic has been found by babyboomers from the north.

It is not about the local governments tying things in knots, as Mainecoons claims.  IT is the shear number or volume of traffic and people now living in the Lakeside area.  You cannot blame the government when we have no real room for infrastructure improvement when the carretera is between the lake and the mountains.  Tough situation.

I feel sorry for many of the poor Mexicans who cannot afford the price of gasoline. We gringos are to blame for the traffic gridlock.

Sit at an intersection for a while & check who is driving the cars.. Easy to see 90% are Mexicans driving those cars in heavy traffic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Any thoughts if most people are passing through the town, live here or visiting??

What is the Lakeside inventory of the homes for rent. Have rents increased, have home sales increased? I was told by a realtor the the average price of homes sold has increased, which I think means more expensive homes are/have sold...Any realtors out there to comment???