Chapala.com Webboard

Copper cleaning

Happyjilin

My grandmother lived in a village where the kings favorite  lived in the 16th century and for some reason my grandmother ended up owning engraved glasses the king had offered his mistress as well as 4 eaux fortes.. that had really damaged edges.. My grandmother removed the damadged edges and had the prints framed. WHen she died   we found out that the prints had lost of their value because the edges had been cut ..

On 4/26/2022 at 7:18 PM, bmh said:

Happyjilin

My grandmother lived in a village where the kings favorite  lived in the 16th century and for some reason my grandmother ended up owning engraved glasses the king had offered his mistress as well as 4 eaux fortes.. that had really damaged edges.. My grandmother removed the damadged edges and had the prints framed. WHen she died   we found out that the prints had lost of their value because the edges had been cut ..

yup value loss. and to clarify eau forte is an etched metal plate that maybe produced your grandmothers "paper" prints. There are 3 other techniques that could have been used.

On 4/26/2022 at 3:57 PM, Mainecoons said:

Well that's the way it would have looked originally.  Even from here you can see it is a real beauty!

Yes it would have and when I acquired it in 1976 it was not an antique,classification vintage. and the first thing I had to do to it was remove the "gold" metallic paint some fool had done to it.