Chapala.com Webboard

Will you stay if your spouse/partner/significant other, Die??

Recently a couple of Canadian friends whose spouse (husbands) died decided to return back NOB. A couple of others who lost loved ones have decided to stay. Most of those "going back" wished to be closer to family, kids or grandkids. The stay behinds gave having no medical coverage and or "no" family .

How very different from the Mexican culture who seem to include 2nd or 3rd cousins as "close" family. I wonder how many on this board even remember and stay in touch with  a 2nd or 3rd cousin?

Would stay, absolutely.  No family left up there and I don't need the craziness either.  Mexico may be corrupt and inept but they generally leave you alone and practice live and let live.  Mexicans for the most part cherish family and respect the elderly, things that have been lost NOB.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I do have family in Canada. But, it was hard enough to get to see them when we lived there because they all lead such busy, active lives. I stayed after my hubby died. I like the independence and convenience of living here not to mention that snow is worth nothing unless you can ski on it. Everyone's different.

• Like 6

I'd stay.  The last and only visit we made in 2010 for a family funeral shocked us seeing the changes in attitudes and the stress in general. I hate to think what it's like now.

Our family is spread all over the U.S., so the only time we see them is when they come here for visits.

• Like 4

I really do not think about it too much.  Negative energy all that worry about something that is not here and now.  Mexicans know how to live in the moment, gringos tend to overthink everything.  If and when the time comes, I will take out a piece of paper and write two columns down, pro and con of a potential relocation.  Then make a decision.  YMMV

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Kiko said:

I really do not think about it too much.  Negative energy all that worry about something that is not here and now.  Mexicans know how to live in the moment, gringos tend to overthink everything.  If and when the time comes, I will take out a piece of paper and write two columns down, pro and con of a potential relocation.  Then make a decision.  YMMV

Over thinking is a survival mechanism--My over thinking is in overdrive----I think things through, to a fault---HA

I am staying. Left France 5o years ago..do not see myself going back..Left the US 20 years ..

I speak with my sister on a daily basis my mother weekly , my cousins on a regular badis but they  have their lives and i have mine

So.Mexico it is.

• Like 2

I guess as I get older and still dabble in construction and still experience the "same excuses/reasons for lateness or plain old broken promises" from work people as I did 20 years ago, I realize have have not acclimated to the Mexican lifestyle. At long last( after developing stomach ulcers) I have accepted  I can not change them and they can not change me

For folks who are getting older (me) and can afford their services the new Medical providers that have come to Lakeside, their services is a big plus, but "The Traffic" , noise and congestion is the pits. And one has to question how long before we are annexed by Guadalajara 

Realistically, we have already been annexed by GDL.  That, plus the utter incompetence of the local traffic "engineers", accounts for most of the traffic problem.

At least where we are at, the noise has decreased over the last several years.

Still beats the heck out of any place I ever lived in the U.S. including New Mexico.

• Like 1

I don't sweat the little things and most things for that matter. We discussed this without obsessing,kiko, because with my major COPD[imagine being out of breath just putting your clothes on]  and other medical issues, it has been determined that my demise will be in roughly +/- 5 years from now, so I have been preparing esposa with how to do all sorts of things that have been my responsibility. Just practicing due diligence like I did researching where to move to from Canada.

• Like 4

We really miss Mexico. Five months ago, had to leave because there were no blood banks there, and I had to have three units a week, for a reoccurrence of cancer treatments.  By the way am now in remission.

Never did we think we could sell our home in one day, but thanks to Chapala Reality it was done.  So now here in Florida, sort of happy, but miss my Mexico.

As to the question would you stay, well it sort of was like that way!

• Like 2

We left in 2019 for health reasons... We moved to Texas which after living here for four years was an abrupt adjustment. We were closer to family (15 minutes) but they have very active lives and we only saw them for birthdays etc... So we decided to bite the bullet and moved back... We are happier here and life is good... I think I would stay but my child bride might wish to return... We will have to see when the time comes... That will certainly come after I have plowed money into changes in the house.