Chapala.com Webboard

My Great Dane needs a new home.

My 6 1/2 year old Great Dane needs a new home.  We are going back to the USA for medical reasons. She is beautiful, black with white points.  She is a house dog, but does not get on furniture or sleep on the bed. We have had her since she was a puppy and it breaks our hearts to leave her here. 

So sorry to hear this. Several suggestions: post pictures, post on the local Facebook page for rescue pets. I don't have a link but maybe someone else does. Good luck, Danes are such great dogs.

The Ranch is really full, so try other resources first. 

12 hours ago, court0503 said:

Unfortunately For obvious reasons (though great dogs) it is very difficult  for rescues to find home for Great Danes 

This is why contacting the various Great Dane Rescue organizations may be the answer. In the US there is at least one rescue group for each breed of dog, this goes for cats too. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, court0503 said:

Obvious reason - size 

I guess for "little dog" fans it would be. On the other hand there are those who ONLY like really big dogs. And Danes are about he most placid couch potatoes of all the large / giant breeds.

• Like 2

Our last 4 Great Danes lived eleven years, but I think Ziva will not make it that long. Large dogs are much more stable emotionally than the little ankle biters. Most small dogs being fearful of their own shadow and yap, yap near constantly. Remember that Danes and other large Mastine breeds just laid in front of the fireplace and slept in the dukes bedroom at night They don;t yap at nothing at all. Plus they're a big deterent for break-ins. Another salient fact that many don't know is that  Great Danes come in Wet mouth or dry mouth. The classic square muzzle and the hanging jowls do drool. In recently Danes have been the last couple of decades they have bred Danes with hound muzzles and "dry" mouths. Ziva is just such a pointed muzzle dry mouth.

• Like 3

Ziva fell on the stairs to the garden while atll under the effects os anethesia (6 hours latter) frim removing a small begnine fatty tumor. She is now afraid to climb up inoto the Expedition

and I nor my spouse can lift her into the SUV. Due to my health it will take us 6 days to get to a hotel we will be staying while searching for a house to buy. That would require her to be lifted in or out 5 0r 6 times a day. Don't know that she would put up with that from some stranger we might find on the roads. She would then have to be vet kenneled for several months until we could find and close on a house. Just don't see that as possible.

2 hours ago, geeser said:

She is now afraid to climb up inoto the Expedition

and I nor my spouse can lift her into the SUV. Due to my health it will take us 6 days to get to a hotel we will be staying while searching for a house to buy. That would require her to be lifted in or out 5 0r 6 times a day.

Use a ramp. And there are hotels that accept dogs.

I don't understand abandoning one's dog because taking them would be inconvenient.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Taking a liberty and telling all who genuinely cared........ and hope Mom and Dad are not offended.  Ziva is in the  very best  home possible..... people she knows,  neighborhood she knows, and a doggie house-mate/friend she also knew prior. She's a HAPPY dog, even tho' might still be a little confused over the big change.  But all that familiarity will help her with that a LOT.

Some will judge Mom and Dad.  Don't. The situation was worse than they told in many ways (extremely familiar with it) , and this really was the very best thing for all...... on 2 legs and on 4. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4