Chapala.com Webboard

"Rain Birds"

Just had 3 minutes of almost heavy rain, and maybe small hail balls. At least that is what it sounded like. The rain cloud was quite small. I could see dry areas in most every direction.

I guess we are just having a little more crazy weather, which I like :) 

9 hours ago, mkshawn said:

For the last week or two? Surprised that no one had raised the fact? And it rained last Night

Last year, Mainecoons/Mod2 had a great: "guess the date" for the official start of the rainy season.

Unfortunately I was the second or third person out last year. 😕 

I am always close because I know it starts in and around the 15th of June, give or take a day or two.  Its amazingly like clock work every year. Kind of like how the "real" rains mostly always come at night.  Sometimes it starts on the 13th or the 17th but always in and around the second week of June.  I want to say I said the 16th but too lazy to check.  And also too lazy to check when Maincoons gave the results and what they were.  

• Like 1

In eastern Raquet Club in previous years their noise was overwhelming. This year in central RC I have heard  no sound from them. Just a few drops of rain last night.

On 4/11/2022 at 4:02 PM, lakeside7 said:

Climate Change????

Probably it isn't as dry in central RC as all the neighbours water extensively. The rainbirds seem to like drier areas.

rainbird respond to heat first . We have them in the mediterranean area of France and we do not have them where it is warm and humid- They like it hot and dry and for a couple of months and then with rain... So rain is not the only thing they are after..

I am sure it depends a lot on the species of cicada.  I am originally from North Carolina where it is never hot and dry, there when it is hot it is extremely humid and muggy and the cicadas there seem to sing all summer long.  Here in México the cicadas or "rainbirds" always seem to peter out right when the rains come.

On 4/10/2022 at 11:17 PM, dichosalocura said:

I am always close because I know it starts in and around the 15th of June, give or take a day or two.  Its amazingly like clock work every year. Kind of like how the "real" rains mostly always come at night.  Sometimes it starts on the 13th or the 17th but always in and around the second week of June.  I want to say I said the 16th but too lazy to check.  And also too lazy to check when Maincoons gave the results and what they were.  

It usually starts June 12th at 11pm. 

• Haha 2

I finally heard some rainbirds in central Raquet Club. When I lived in eastern RC they were too noisy for me to read outside. They sounded like loud buzzsaws.