Chapala.com Webboard

Be aware of doing business with ATT in Ajijic

Do not go to AT and T Ajijic. Similar to the other reports of theft on this thread, I paid for 2 years service. They also told me their credit card machine wasn’t working so cash would work. After 6 months my phone stopped working and the employees said the person who did my contract was fired for scamming. I’m going back tomorrow to see what the manager says but I’m not optimistic based on the way the employees were behaving. My wife’s contact was entered in their system as 6 months shorter than her written contact also. All together we would be out about $500.00  I have had previous problems with AT and T engaging in unscrupulous practices and I would highly recommend staying way clear of this company and especially this branch. 

I feel for you Djangoplayer. Thanks for your warning. I've discovered that AT&T Mexico and AT&T USA are run completely differently, and completely separate from each other. And there is no AT&T in Canada. AT&T Mexico is run by distributors representing AT&T so it's quite possible to run into shady distributors or distributors that go bankrupt and so there's no recourse with AT&T corporate. To update my dilemma with AT&T I discovered that it's best to just pay online because then there's paper trails and you're not likely to get scammed, but this is only after you've initially established an AT&T plan in Mexico. I got back into Mexico on the first of November and went to an AT&T store in Saltillo Mexico and bought a 6 month plan with the help of the manager there who, luckily for me, spoke English. It was a big store so I hope they don't go bankrupt, but even if they do I will receive online notices, one month before plan expiry, from several different independent AT&T distributors to renew my plan online, and I will do so then. AT&T worked good for me, through Rogers, in northern British Columbia, Canada. I discovered the reason that I couldn't renew my plan online in Canada was because this was a policy of AT&T Mexico. Frustratingly it took dozens of hours to discover this fact. So now that I know I can renew my plan online, while in Mexico only, I'll do so with a longer plan so that I'm not in Canada when a plan term expires. Now that I'm familiar with AT&T Mexico I'm hesitant to switch to another carrier for fear of finding out inadequacies or shortcomings in there operations. I discovered that I can phone Canada several times with unlimited hours of calling there. AT&T will cut me off after 2 hours of phone talking but I can then immediately phone back and talk for another 2 hours, and so on.

Regarding a different matter: I drove my car down from Canada to Chapala (5600 kms). Within 10 minutes of crossing into Mexico (Colombia Crossing, Texas) I was almost killed by a big rig semi truck who was driving unsafely. Luckily neither me nor my car sustained any damage. Then, closer to Chapala, while accidentally traveling on hwy 54, I took a curve (more like an unmarked U-turn!) slightly too fast and almost crashed. My summary of driving in Mexico: it's far more dangerous than any perceived threats from the cartels, so this encompasses the poor roads and the aggressive drivers in Mexico. For those of you who dare to drive in Mexico there is a good  Facebook group called "On the road in Mexico" which is very helpful.

AT& T is just not a responsive, customer service company.  In Mexico, the philosophy of the business always seems to keep to keep the customer's money no matter who is responsible for a problem.

I got a message on my phone that my service would end in one week when my contract states I paid until June of 2023.  They are such $%&/()s there.  They said my complaint was against the employee (Girardo Marquez Flores) who handled my transaction.  Of course, I said that the problem was with the company and the theft of their employee is not my problem, but theirs.  They said they could not modify the information in the computer!  How ridiculous is that!

It seems I will probably file a complaint with Profeco.  In the meantime, I really have no option, but to start another contract.   I will not go with Telcel as they are equally dishonest.  One month they cut off my service claiming I made too many calls although I paid for UNLIMITED calls.

20 minutes ago, mexijims1 said:

Back to Ana near Alex's Pasta.  She is the worst. Changes her story constantly when you return there and is as rude as hell !

I now go directly to TelCel in Laguna Mall and at least they are professional and honest.  More than I can say for the above person. 

Just to be sure...  is "Ana near Alex's Pasta" located on the side street opposite the entrance to the indoor parking lot of Bugambillia Plaza, or on the lakeside lateral/service road of the Carretera, in the first block west of Plaza Bugambillias (Juan Alvarez) ?

53 minutes ago, Oatsie said:

Just to be sure...  is "Ana near Alex's Pasta" located on the side street opposite the entrance to the indoor parking lot of Bugambillia Plaza, or on the lakeside lateral/service road of the Carretera, in the first block west of Plaza Bugambillias (Juan Alvarez) ?

She is next door to Alex's on the left as you face the restaurant. 

Back to Ana near Alex's Pasta.  She is the worst. Changes her story constantly when you return there and is as rude as hell ! She is on Juan Alvarez next to Bugamvilla Plaza, where El Torito is located.

I now go directly to TelCel in Laguna Mall and at least they are professional and honest.  More than I can say for the above person. 

I too have used Ana several times with good results. Once observed her being "short" with some old gringa who didn't have a clue about phones and wanted Ana to hold her hand and teach her how to use it. Wasn't spending but 100 pesos or so as I recall.

Ana was very helpful in getting us up and running when we returned to Ajijic... She could use some additional help to handle the large number of customers that treck to her door...If she was doing something wrong there would be less traffic... People vote with their wallet...

• Like 1