Chapala.com Webboard

Which is the Best Funeral Home for Pre-Death arrangements?

Meli

Hi Everyone,

I think this is my first post here  after living here for 4 years and this is important to me as a 60+ year old, as my 80+ year old parents have just moved here. 

Before that my S.O. and I were thinking of making arrangements, as we're been told that you need to have those in place before you die.  And  we've also been told over and over that, whatever you do, when a death happens, don't call the police!

Someone recommended the San Francisco Funeral home in Chapala.  Any comments on that or on any other good locations?

Thanks for the help.

SS

Several friends went to 3 different locations.  Prices are different but need to look at all options offered.  San Francisco funeral home could not answer all questions.  Moreh was so so.  Chapala Funeraria was more informative   Family run, and if you need casket no problem, if you want cremation, they pick up the body and wait at the crematorium in Guadalajara and take ashes back.   For our  Group,   this was the best option.  We had several people send us information but it is your decision.  They were very informed of what is needed from the consulate and they get it for you. 
PM me if more information is needed

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bmh said:

San francisco is family rum..has beem for over 50 years.

My husband was incinerated last week and San francisco was fabulous. They will do.all the papwrwork with the consulate if you report you are a US

Citizen

Sorry for your loss.  Back in the day your husband was one of the best posters on this and other local boards.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bmh said:

San francisco is family rum..has beem for over 50 years.

My husband was incinerated last week and San francisco was fabulous. They will do.all the papwrwork with the consulate if you report you are a US

Citizen

OMG did Bob pass? 

Yes San Francisco was great. My mom past away in 2012 at the Casa Nostras. The doctor came and handled the paper work. I still smile at what the Doctor was doing as he was showing me where my mom had all her aches and pains as if I was a medical student. Then came San Francisco employees, 2 young kids still wearing their football gear. 😊. Total cost including cremation from memory around 6000 pesos. (my moms ashes are in her garden in Ontario as well as my first Golden retriever which was my moms love).

bmh, sorry for your loss sound like your husband was like minded like you.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Does anybody know how difficult it is to obtain a burial plot in the Chapala Panteón?  Just asking because not everybody wants to be cremated.

It looks pretty full and sad.

After watching a friend experience the unexpected loss of her spouse, she was told there aren't any burial plots in Ajijic nor Chapala and that Ixtluacan was the closest option.

She's had to have his body embalmed, flown to the U.S. and will go from there.

Apparently there's a relatively new Jalisco state law that says if a death is anything other than from "natural causes", one must bury the body for 5 years before cremation is an option.

Clearly, this is very upsetting and problematic for Ex-Pats in Mexico who would like to have cremation for their loved ones. Sadly, this law doesn't spell out exceptions for victims of clear accidents. I understand when a death occurs and there could be potentially troubling circumstances but when a car/plane/ATV accident causes a death, it should be clearly noted on the death certificate and the loved ones should have freedom to have cremation done.

Just my .02 worth,

Val Jones

• Like 2

yes it is upsetting but it is also a saftey  measure. If the cops accuse you of murder or accuse someone of murder if the body is cremated there is no way to check anything so burial seems like a good option for a while.. I wonder if there is a choice. by State.

A friend of mine had a niece that was murdered in a horrible way and the girl was burried but the family refused to have an autopsy and let the cops near the body. IThis happened in an indigenous community so that may have been under Usos y costumbres but I wonder if in the rest of that state,  people who want to be incinerated could have the body released and incinerated... I guess your statement says no but I wonder .what they do if the people do not want to press charges and do not want the body to be autopsied for whatever reason if they would prevail.   I bet it is a no but who knows.

bmh,

I don't know the answer to your question. Dr. Leon was unaware of this new Jalisco state law and I certainly didn't know about it, either. I now need to amend my will so my remains can be repatriated to the U.S. for cremation. It's an expensive and additional step for my remaining family members to have to take but I don't see another option under the current law.

Stay safe and healthy!

Val. :)

2 hours ago, thevalerieleigh said:

bmh,

I don't know the answer to your question. Dr. Leon was unaware of this new Jalisco state law and I certainly didn't know about it, either. I now need to amend my will so my remains can be repatriated to the U.S. for cremation. It's an expensive and additional step for my remaining family members to have to take but I don't see another option under the current law.

Stay safe and healthy!

Val. :)

Try amending your living will wishes.  I had to name a specific person to receive my ashes and I did it by revising my medical power of attorney.

bmh, thanks, will do. There's absolutely no problem with cremation if a death occurs due to "natural causes." The problem of cremation arises if the death was due to an accident or other causes.

Val

• Like 1