Chapala.com Webboard

Riberas Del Pilar proposed sewer plan

There was a Chapala government sponsored meeting yesterday which was to discuss the sewer issue in Riberas.  Lots of officials from San Antonio, Chapala, SIMAPA, etc. and lots of glad-handing.  I think about 150 folks in attendance all hoping, but not really expecting, a real plan could be the result.  The property owners would have to pay one half of the cost in advance and within forty days before construction could begin.  Fees based on property size.  Plans call for a water treatment plant near the lake probably near San Lucas or San Mateo streets.  Plans call for all of the streets to be torn up at the same time so the project can be completed in six months (?.)  No plans to do water pipe delivery improvements, pot hole repairs, or rainwater runoff improvements.  No mention of improving transitions between the highway and local streets.  No mention of how folks who have septic tanks in backyards or under the house are going to get tied into the pipes in the streets.  I'm guessing at their own expense and inconvenience. 

Basically it seemed to me to be a political ploy so they can say they tried to do the right thing.  A better plan would be start with a treatment plant and connect the blocks nearest to the plant first, get things working correctly, and expand out from there so street access is not so adversely affected.  Paying for it could come from a state fund, since Guadalajara draws water from the lake, or federal fund since the lake and it's shore are federal properties.  Even if residents were to pay part, it should be a special assessment added to the annual property taxes over a period of years with an end date based on projected revenues from the increase.  Lastly, residents should have a vote before anything that expensive and intrusive is begun.

NOBODY trusts the local government to get the job done by residents paying in advance.  Neither do we expect it to be done in a timely manner.  Nobody expects it to work correctly when (if) completed.  Nobody thinks the government will respond when complaints about these issues are voiced.  This is just based on previous experience with local government entities. 

Alan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I agree as to the need to get it done.  There are probably more homes lakeside that don't save sanitary sewers connected than those that do.  Very few water treatment plants and homes are close together so not much room for leach fields.  That means not infrequent septic tank pumping.  For that reason there are many homes that run gray water from washing machines, kitchen sinks, dishwashers, etc. right out on the street.  That adds to pot hole problems, mosquito problems, bad smell from stagnant water, and just looks bad.  I just don't think that the proposed solution is ever going to fly.  Come up with a better funding method, a better logistical plan, more details for individual homeowners based on their particular situations, and have a public vote before proceeding.  If the streets are torn up anyway just go ahead and fix the potholes, street transitions, and rainwater drainage issues and maybe even the fresh water supply pipes.

Alan

• Like 3

Alan pretty much nailed it.  The density of housing in Riberas is totally unsuitable for the use of septic tanks.  How this would be dealt with NOB is an improvement district would be formed, the government would put up a portion of the cost and sell bonds for the rest, the bonds are paid off with a sewer assessment added to property taxes usually for 15 to 20 years and participation is mandatory, there is a period of time during which households must hook up and connections require inspection.

Expecting people to write checks up front to an unreliable local government is a non starter IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sadly, there is a mindset (justifiable) based on previous experiences of local, state and federal use of "tax" payers' monies. A lot of "ifs"...If it was to be completed in a proper and timely fasion. I guess it needs a Local Leader with creditable. But never say never, lots of new people around and this time it could fly

23 hours ago, barrbower said:

There was a Chapala government sponsored meeting yesterday which was to discuss the sewer issue in Riberas.  Lots of officials from San Antonio, Chapala, SIMAPA, etc. and lots of glad-handing.  I think about 150 folks in attendance all hoping, but not really expecting, a real plan could be the result.  The property owners would have to pay one half of the cost in advance and within forty days before construction could begin.  Fees based on property size.  Plans call for a water treatment plant near the lake probably near San Lucas or San Mateo streets.  Plans call for all of the streets to be torn up at the same time so the project can be completed in six months (?.)  No plans to do water pipe delivery improvements, pot hole repairs, or rainwater runoff improvements.  No mention of improving transitions between the highway and local streets.  No mention of how folks who have septic tanks in backyards or under the house are going to get tied into the pipes in the streets.  I'm guessing at their own expense and inconvenience. 

Basically it seemed to me to be a political ploy so they can say they tried to do the right thing.  A better plan would be start with a treatment plant and connect the blocks nearest to the plant first, get things working correctly, and expand out from there so street access is not so adversely affected.  Paying for it could come from a state fund, since Guadalajara draws water from the lake, or federal fund since the lake and it's shore are federal properties.  Even if residents were to pay part, it should be a special assessment added to the annual property taxes over a period of years with an end date based on projected revenues from the increase.  Lastly, residents should have a vote before anything that expensive and intrusive is begun.

NOBODY trusts the local government to get the job done by residents paying in advance.  Neither do we expect it to be done in a timely manner.  Nobody expects it to work correctly when (if) completed.  Nobody thinks the government will respond when complaints about these issues are voiced.  This is just based on previous experience with local government entities. 

Alan

"Bull Dog" Alfaro was in town in the beginning of this week so I guess this was part of his grand tour (maybe). 2 years ago or so he was in my neighborhood of Chapala to announce that he was going to improve the road that connects the Libriamento to upper Chapala. Great job, it went from being a donkey path to a cattle path...Maybe its time he has a couple of late night drinks at one of Puerto Vallarta up scale bars. 😉