Chapala.com Webboard

Connecting your cell phone to TotalPlay wifi inside your house

I have never gotten a good Telcel signal in my house. My cell phone automatically used the Telmex wifi available from its modem. Since a week ago Monday, my Telmex modem has been out of service. Even my i.d.i.o.t phone won't work when plugged directly into the wall which is my usual back up when the Telmex internet is down. So, for the last week, I've had no phone whatsoever except for the voip from TotalPlay.

Yesterday, I kinda gave up on Telmex even though I have a work order in place and was told it would be fixed in four days. Famous last words that I am getting so tired of hearing. When I unplugged the Telmex modem, all of a sudden, my cell phone started offering other choices to connect to via wifi. One of them was my TotalPlay modem wifi. Got connected in less than five minutes and the signal is STRONG... modem is at the front of my house and I was in the bathroom at the back of my house to receive a phone call. Clear and without static.

Since I've had TotalPlay for two months (along with iLox and Telmex), I cannot say enough good things about them. The iLox wifi signal never was great and got weaker as you moved away from the modem. Telmex is, well, Telmex. Still acting as if they are the only game in town and that anything that goes wrong must be the customer's fault not theirs. It's always been a problem on their end for the record. I get an e-mail within five minutes from TotalPlay when I pay my account at Oxxo saying "Thank you for your payment". Wow! Customer appreciation in full swing. Telmex can't even get their downloadable bills available the day before they are due.

I have used Telmex for 27 years in Mexico, never had a problem with them until we moved here in 2012. I'm done. Buhbye Telmex. I've already dumped iLox.

You should have been able to switch your cell phone to another provider without unplugging that Telmex modem. You have to go to your network settings and peruse all the networks that are active in your area and change it to the one you want it to connect to automatically. 

Are you saying no other networks came up until unplugging the Telmex modem? That sounds strange.

That's exactly what happened. No other networks showed up UNTIL I unplugged it. Since Telmex and Telcel are owned by the same entity, it wouldn't surprise me that there is a preference for a Telmex wifi connection if it exists. I never had to tell my cell phone to connect to Telmex wifi in my house. It did it automatically.