Chapala.com Webboard

How do I change my Social Security direct deposit bank from here in Mexico?

I am wanting to change my direct deposit from my bank in the USA to one here in Mexico. I  have just opened a new account at BBVA and was given 2 numbers 1 called a No. Cuenta is only 10 numbers long ,the second is called the Clabe interbancana and is 18 numbers long. Which one would I give to Social Security for my deposits? The girl at the bank said she believes that the Cuenta number would be given to someone from outside of Mexico. Can anyone verify that? Also what is the correct process to change my deposit?

Thanks

Michael

18 minutes ago, MichaelB said:

The girl at the bank said she believes that the Cuenta number would be given to someone from outside of Mexico.

"The girl at the bank" is not who to ask. You have to ask the entity that is sending funds what they require. 

Normally international money transfers use the Clabe, so the girl at the bank has no idea what she's talking about. 

The Clabe actually contains your personal account number and the bank branch numbers within it. 

But I'm not American, so can't tell you what Social Security requires.