Chapala.com Webboard

Stray dog

My landlady gave me a small dog that she said was a stray. I had the dog for 4 days when I found the owner. The owner puts the dog out on the street all day. So everyday the dog comes to my gate crying and howling to get in! I don't know what to do or if there is someone to contact. Ideas...?

You, or someone else like your landlady if your Spanish isn't good enough, needs to talk to the owner. Explain that the dog is too small to be a street dog and if the owner doesn't want it in the yard or house, you will help find it a new home. You could also call one of the dog rescue organizations to help explain reality to the owner if necessary. Please do not steal the dog. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its the mexican way unfortunately.  Many put their dogs out at night to find food as they dont have the money to feed them.....there is no law to keep them from doing it....at least it is not enforced.  I had one like that and asked the woman if i could have her she said yes it is a gift to you and i gave her $200 pesos.  Ive had her ever since......

• Like 2

Actually, many let their dogs out during the day and the dogs return to their home in the evening and then guard their property. I do not know if you are familiar with the dogs outside the butcher by the Ajijic plaza every morning. These are not homeless or strays, they just go down there for their morning snack. When I lived in upper Ajijic I recognized many which lived in my barrio. Some were pretty chubby, lol.

5 hours ago, MtnMama said:

You, or someone else like your landlady if your Spanish isn't good enough, needs to talk to the owner. Explain that the dog is too small to be a street dog and if the owner doesn't want it in the yard or house, you will help find it a new home. You could also call one of the dog rescue organizations to help explain reality to the owner if necessary. Please do not steal the dog. 

Absolutely do not take the dog.

• Thanks 1