Chapala.com Webboard

France Lyon to Paris - help

fishcake

11 hours ago, bmh said:

Whatis your question? My brother lives in Lyon I was raised in paris, went to the Sorbonne  and my sister lives in Paris

Perfect.  Although I have use Trip Advisor & travelled many cities in Europe I have some confusion about this connection.  I am arriving on river cruise in Lyon & have a room on Rue de la Harpe 5th arr. Paris..   I have been told to go to the airport in Lyon & take the train to the main station Paris Gare then taxi.   I have found on Rail Europe TGV INoui #6612 That leaves Lyon Part Dieu at 10 AM arr Paris Gare de Lyon.  It would sound perfect for me but I have had negative comments about that line.   cost is About 1400Mx for 2nd class or 2000Mx for 1st class.  Is 1st class better for viewing the countryside?

thank you

You can buy French wines here and frankly considering the price , better buy chilean wines. Most of them are made in the French style and some by French and Spanish firms.

Fred driving and taking the train is somewhat difference,the train does not go through many scenic areas.. The trip is ok but at least it is fast.

View is the same as Fred says and not that great from the TGV. First class is more comfortable but it is all very pedestrian nowadays, the advantage is the speed.

What is the negative on Pardieu? That is the route I take. My sister had a good answer on the view, same window same countryside from 1st or second class , sometimes the differnce in price is minimal.  I would take Prt Dieu , Gare de Lyon and uber in Paris. to rue de la Harpe which is near St Michel if you go by subway.

Where do the cruise end up?  

many train leaving Perrache go by Part Dieu anyways so just go to Part Dieu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmh said:

You can buy French wines here and frankly considering the price , better buy chilean wines. Most of them are made in the French style and some by French and Spanish firms.

Fred driving and taking the train is somewhat difference,the train does not go through many scenic areas.. The trip is ok but at least it is fast.

View is the same as Fred says and not that great from the TGV. First class is more comfortable but it is all very pedestrian nowadays, the advantage is the speed.

What is the negative on Pardieu? That is the route I take. My sister had a good answer on the view, same window same countryside from 1st or second class , sometimes the differnce in price is minimal.  I would take Prt Dieu , Gare de Lyon and uber in Paris. to rue de la Harpe which is near St Michel if you go by subway.

I am on Uniworld from Avignon to Lyon, then on to Paris  I went ahead & booked the ticket as the stations were most convenient.  I originally land CDG then 2hrs later to Marseille.  The following 3 days in Cassis with friends from Cabasson. Then train to Avignon.

My grandmother lived in Marseille for many years and I learned how to swim in Cassis, you are in my territory . The area has changed so much.. Have fun

Not sure why people recommend going to the airport when upu land accross the river from Par Dieu or Perrache..just take UBER to the station of your choice  or is there more to it and there are good connections from there to the airport? It sounds a little strange to me..

45 minutes ago, bmh said:

My grandmother lived in Marseille for many years and I learned how to swim in Cassis, you are in my territory . The area has changed so much.. Have fun

Not sure why people recommend going to the airport when upu land accross the river from Par Dieu or Perrache..just take UBER to the station of your choice  or is there more to it and there are good connections from there to the airport? It sounds a little strange to me..

Yes, it sounded very strange after looking at map.  There are authorities everywhere.

On 3/15/2022 at 2:27 PM, bmh said:

My dad was a member of the "Academie du CEP". Am guessing the wine cellar probably had over 3000 bottles. Up until my 40th birthday I always had a bottle of Saint Emilion 1957 (year of birth). I no longer drink much wine since I was spoiled when living in Switzerland. Forgot to mention French cuisine, probably the best on this planet. (Traveled a lot in France with the guide Michelin 😊).

3 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

My dad was a member of the "Academie du CEP". Am guessing the wine cellar probably had over 3000 bottles. Up until my 40th birthday I always had a bottle of Saint Emilion 1957 (year of birth). I no longer drink much wine since I was spoiled when living in Switzerland. Forgot to mention French cuisine, probably the best on this planet. (Traveled a lot in France with the guide Michelin 😊).

Thanks. enjoy your input.

Honeybee 1957 was a terrible vintage year . I would not brag about drinking that vintage for years because it sure did not get better as it aged. I also had the msfortune of beign born in a terrible year so I do not celebrate my birthday with a 46 vintage either. SO I settled for 1945 for my birthday..but I only had it for a few years because the price just got too much for me..

well  I franfly doubt he would have disagreed with me as I was raised around wine and worked in cellars as a teenager followed by 30 years in the wine business. My last employer was Christian Moueix , a famous chateau owner from Bordeaux.j My father was from Bordeaux and my mother from the Loire Valley.. 

You may disagree with my knowledge of wines but thanks to the wine business I was able to retire extremely well at age 55..  So I may have some knowledge of wine..   I even sold Swiss wines...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/15/2022 at 2:27 PM, bmh said:

I am glad to hear you say this. I learned to love Chilean Carmenere and Argentinian Malbec while in Mexico. I'm no connosieur, but I love the complexities of these wines at rather affordable prices! 

2 hours ago, bmh said:

well  I franfly doubt he would have disagreed with me as I was raised around wine and worked in cellars as a teenager followed by 30 years in the wine business. My last employer was Christian Moueix , a famous chateau owner from Bordeaux.j My father was from Bordeaux and my mother from the Loire Valley.. 

You may disagree with my knowledge of wines but thanks to the wine business I was able to retire extremely well at age 55..  So I may have some knowledge of wine..   I even sold Swiss wines...

Did you bring some bottles with you. 😊

No I sold them .. I paid for my move to Mexico with 10 cases of wines I had been given bysuppliers...   II have no wines any longer from my past life..  As you know good French wine is expensive in this country so I just buy what I like here.. I do miss some of the wines from over there  once in a while  but that is the way it goes, cannot have everything..

Ferret, you can not go very wrong with CHilean wines. Their Sauvignons Blancs are excellent and their red wines are pretty good as well. The famous grower from Chablis in France has an estate in Chile, Baron Eric de Rothschild owns Los Vascos. Miguel Torres from Spain who is an excellent wine maker makes wines over there , Baroness Philippine de Rothschild also started an estate in Chile before she passed away.

The owners of top vineyards in Europe cannot expand their properties  in Europe because pretty much all the appelations controllees land is owned by someone and is rarely for sale. The rules are very strict and so there is no room for experimentation.  .Many of the top winemakers feel that the best climate for wine is around the 45th parallel and same on the other hemisphere and chile happens to fall  in that band.    Many have bought and experimented with vineyards from Texas to China and many of the top estate owners have settled on buying land in Chile so there is a lot of expertise there. 

The other advantage Chile and Argentina  have is that the import tax is lower, or at least used to be lower that that of other countries . 

All of this makes the wines from that part of the world a good value.

Pick your price range and experiment and see what you like..

• Like 1

If I was to start a wine cellar, I would definitively hire you as a consultant, no wonder you did well. The other thing a really miss about French cuisine is the "plateau de fromages" that is always rolled in after the main meal. (I would kill for some Caprice Des Dieux just to mention one out of so many).