Chapala.com Webboard

Expat Experience

15 hours ago, bmh said:

Boy, are you right on this one, most people could care less how fascinating Mexico  is.. have no idea and no interest in it so it maybe why I just turn off whem  I see one of those expat video.

I would like to say this isn't the case but people watch what they either can relate to directly or see themselves doing. Which is why I think what I will be doing will be different than what is already on you tube, as There ae some that have very good production value and are informative, But are pretty much like the videos I see about computers. As I am not sure who they make the videos for? As the computers they show are way over priced and they all seem to go one about the RGB lights. I like computers, but I could care a less what lights are blinking and I doubt very much I would buy a computer in the $10k range. I just want one that works.

Same with the videos about living in Mexico, as CNBC has one that is really well produced but it focuses on people that few can relate to, such as a high level lawyer that says she retired at 39. Others that have good production value focus on the cost of living, which is good, but its a small sampling and really doesn't explore what its like living here.

The ones that try and do, have very low production value, filmed with an iPhone or something, and are mostly talking heads that become pretty much say the same and get boring pretty fast. Its like they are making a video for the sake of making a video. No real storytelling or relatable material. 

Now I wont go too deep on what I am planning as I firmly believe in the adage "under promise and over deliver" but I plan on bring both together and making it fun. That is story telling and production value.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

If you want some ideas about production values and a great YouTube experience watch some of Traveling Robert. He consistently wins lots of awards there and has a large following. I don't believe he has been to Lakeside but lots of other places around the world and especially the USA. Born in Cuba now living in Miami. A joy to watch any of his videos.

29 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

If you want some ideas about production values and a great YouTube experience watch some of Traveling Robert. He consistently wins lots of awards there and has a large following. I don't believe he has been to Lakeside but lots of other places around the world and especially the USA. Born in Cuba now living in Miami. A joy to watch any of his videos.

Thanks I will take a look

42 minutes ago, Northtek said:

I would like to say this isn't the case but people watch what they either can relate to directly or see themselves doing. Which is why I think what I will be doing will be different than what is already on you tube, as There ae some that have very good production value and are informative, But are pretty much like the videos I see about computers. As I am not sure who they make the videos for? As the computers they show are way over priced and they all seem to go one about the RGB lights. I like computers, but I could care a less what lights are blinking and I doubt very much I would buy a computer in the $10k range. I just want one that works.

Same with the videos about living in Mexico, as CNBC has one that is really well produced but it focuses on people that few can relate to, such as a high level lawyer that says she retired at 39. Others that have good production value focus on the cost of living, which is good, but its a small sampling and really doesn't explore what its like living here.

The ones that try and do, have very low production value, filmed with an iPhone or something, and are mostly talking heads that become pretty much say the same and get boring pretty fast. Its like they are making a video for the sake of making a video. No real storytelling or relatable material. 

Now I wont go too deep on what I am planning as I firmly believe in the adage "under promise and over deliver" but I plan on bring both together and making it fun. That is story telling and production value.

Total bunk. My career as a video engineer taught me what video is technically and the interest level that sells. Your critique of Youtube videos centered on Expats' living in Mexico I view often is so bias it makes me wonder if you know anything or have watched more than a few Youtube videos on the Mexico  - foreigner experience. Your continued talking about it also makes me wonder the same thing. Are you putting us on?

• Like 2

But maybe I should explain why I will do something different, as near the end of my days with the networks, I was mostly just teaching others on Filming and editing. The writing was on the wall as the networks felt I was too old, to expensive, and not politically correct enough to want to spread the message they wanted. Which I was actually fine with me as I really didn't see the need to inject topics like gender identity into shows that had nothing to do with that and making shows for the sake of exploiting topics like that wasn't something I was interested in anyway. 

But any way the story I told them was this. Years ago I was asked to sit in on a meeting for a new show that was being proposed, It was a sports fishing show that had made several pilots and no network would pick the show up. The premise was good but the networks didn't think it had what it needed to draw an audience. 

It had the same problem a lot of show maker hopefuls were making. That was they were making a show that appealed to them. So they hired people that were sport fishing enthusiasts. This might make sense on paper, but not in reality, as they focused to much on thing that made sense to them, but not to the average viewer. The show was also very boring if you were not a diehard fan. Unfortunately, this is still the biggest problem with the majority of Youtubers. They think what appeals to them appeals to everyone and end up with a very small and very niche audience.

This is where I differ, as I realize the majority of the people dont really care what I like or think personally. They are more concerned about thing they can relate to and maybe see themselves doing or would like to thing they can do. So I have learn shows need to step outside of themselves and see what will appeal to the largest audience and attract people that may not be enthusiasts but are some what interested.

Long story short, I agreed to help produce the pilot for the fishing show and it was picked up by 3 networks right away and ended up getting full reign of the show for 4 years. It was later bought out by another network and I was replaced as they though someone younger would make it better. It was cancelled after 2 episodes.

There was more to this story but I wont get into many details, as the main take away is that I learned a lot about  what a show needs to be successful and hope that experience will come through now.

11 minutes ago, Northtek said:

But maybe I should explain why I will do something different, as near the end of my days with the networks, I was mostly just teaching others on Filming and editing. The writing was on the wall as the networks felt I was too old, to expensive, and not politically correct enough to want to spread the message they wanted. Which I was actually fine with me as I really didn't see the need to inject topics like gender identity into shows that had nothing to do with that and making shows for the sake of exploiting topics like that wasn't something I was interested in anyway. 

But any way the story I told them was this. Years ago I was asked to sit in on a meeting for a new show that was being proposed, It was a sports fishing show that had made several pilots and no network would pick the show up. The premise was good but the networks didn't think it had what it needed to draw an audience. 

It had the same problem a lot of show maker hopefuls were making. That was they were making a show that appealed to them. So they hired people that were sport fishing enthusiasts. This might make sense on paper, but not in reality, as they focused to much on thing that made sense to them, but not to the average viewer. The show was also very boring if you were not a diehard fan. Unfortunately, this is still the biggest problem with the majority of Youtubers. They think what appeals to them appeals to everyone and end up with a very small and very niche audience.

This is where I differ, as I realize the majority of the people dont really care what I like or think personally. They are more concerned about thing they can relate to and maybe see themselves doing or would like to thing they can do. So I have learn shows need to step outside of themselves and see what will appeal to the largest audience and attract people that may not be enthusiasts but are some what interested.

Long story short, I agreed to help produce the pilot for the fishing show and it was picked up by 3 networks right away and ended up getting full reign of the show for 4 years. It was later bought out by another network and I was replaced as they though someone younger would make it better. It was cancelled after 2 episodes.

There was more to this story but I wont get into many details, as the main take away is that I learned a lot about  what a show needs to be successful and hope that experience will come through now.

You should stick to being a cameraman and editor and leave the creative stuff to others? You are too confused it seems.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Total bunk. My career as a video engineer taught me what video is technically and the interest level that sells. Your critique of Youtube videos centered on Expats' living in Mexico I view often is so bias it makes me wonder if you know anything or have watched more than a few Youtube videos on the Mexico  - foreigner experience. Your continued talking about it also makes me wonder the same thing. Are you putting us on?

Well one you might be a video engineer, which is great, but making a video technically correct, doesn't make it interesting, secondly I am going by many factors including how many times the video is watched, if it doesn't have a good amount of views, it has a problem. 

Video is an art and a science. 

lastly I didn't just focus on videos of Expats, I look at related material too, as that is how you determine demand for the content. If there is no potential then there is no point. 

There probably a ton of people out there making videos, so no I would not have seen them all, I just dont have that much patience or time. 

So I have faced a lot of skepticism but every show I worked on was successful, even when every one said it wouldn't. So to call it "total bunk" as a video engineer lacks validity as I was both the director or producer of the shows I worked on so it would have given me a better perspective on what works and doesn't. 

5 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

You should stick to being a cameraman and editor and leave the creative stuff to others? You are too confused it seems.

ok it seems that you are open to criticize others, well lets reverse these role, what is it that you have done that is beyond approach? Which shows did you produce that gives you so much credibility? 

26 minutes ago, Northtek said:

Well one you might be a video engineer, which is great, but making a video technically correct, doesn't make it interesting, secondly I am going by many factors including how many times the video is watched, if it doesn't have a good amount of views, it has a problem. 

Video is an art and a science. 

lastly I didn't just focus on videos of Expats, I look at related material too, as that is how you determine demand for the content. If there is no potential then there is no point. 

There probably a ton of people out there making videos, so no I would not have seen them all, I just dont have that much patience or time. 

So I have faced a lot of skepticism but every show I worked on was successful, even when every one said it wouldn't. So to call it "total bunk" as a video engineer lacks validity as I was both the director or producer of the shows I worked on so it would have given me a better perspective on what works and doesn't. 

23 minutes ago, Northtek said:

ok it seems that you are open to criticize others, well lets reverse these role, what is it that you have done that is beyond approach? Which shows did you produce that gives you so much credibility? 

Reading all your many, many posts and seeing your massive amount of incoherent thoughts comming through I have to ask: Are you putting us on?

6 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

This is the most BOOOOOOORING thread I have read here (not actually read, scanning is enough), and that says a lot!!!

4 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

Reading all your many, many posts and seeing your massive amount of incoherant thoughts comming through I have to ask: Are you putting us on?

Well gringohombre if the subject matter is boring you, nothing is keeping you here. You are free to wonder other conversations and spread your wisdom there. 

AlanMexicalli, These "incoherant thoughts" are part of the feed back process. The idea is to try and explain the premise and hopefully get constructive comments to see if it resonates with people. 

Also, nothing personal, but I have been to way too many production meetings and not once was a video engineer involved. We had plenty of them on staff but were never included in the creative process. truth be told I had never asked what it was that you guys did, I just assumed it was color correction. Mostly because the unions had requirements that there were so many people, that half of them I still have no idea what they did.

• Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Northtek said:

Well gringohombre if the subject matter is boring you, nothing is keeping you here. You are free to wonder other conversations and spread your wisdom there. 

AlanMexicalli, These "incoherant thoughts" are part of the feed back process. The idea is to try and explain the premise and hopefully get constructive comments to see if it resonates with people. 

Also, nothing personal, but I have been to way too many production meetings and not once was a video engineer involved. We had plenty of them on staff but were never included in the creative process. truth be told I had never asked what it was that you guys did, I just assumed it was color correction. Mostly because the unions had requirements that there were so many people, that half of them I still have no idea what they did.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!

On 3/28/2022 at 3:33 PM, Fred Habacht said:

There is a calle in Chapala, actually a narrow alley, it is called "Pompous Fonetica". The small musical instrument shop at #29 would be a perfect stop for Northtek.....they sell Mexican "Toot your own horn too much."  The owner Carlos Santana will also tell you what a border promotion is.......Don't miss this.

You are seeing the same thing here. What is now noticable is many experienced Epats have described " Expat Experience" [ the title of this thread ] from a seasoned perspective and he walks right over these many posters' comments as if he finds them trivial and contuniously talks about finding/creating some pie in the sky "Expat Experience" that doesn't exist, never existed except maybe in his fantasy of what people/viewers want to believe Expats experience when moving to and living in Mexico.  A cartoon might be more suitable in this case. The everyday reality of living here has been repeatedly reported by many posters and is being sidestepped as being .... [ who knows what, ]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I have no negative feelings about more people moving here. Have even had some come to my place and never fail to express the wonders of living here to anyone far and wide. My problem is with the border promotion northtek who's ramblings have shown me that his claims of expertise are not what one would expect from a real expert in the field. OH and he seems to be flying by the seat of his pants with no actual plan and realistic strategy.

pedro kertesz 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

I have no negative feelings about more people moving here. Have even had some come to my place and never fail to express the wonders of living here to anyone far and wide. My problem is with the border promotion northtek who's ramblings have shown me that his claims of expertise are not what one would expect from a real expert in the field. OH and he seems to be flying by the seat of his pants with no actual plan and realistic strategy.

pedro kertesz 

I see the exact same thing you do. Thanks for confirming my speculation about what is actually transpiring here.

He doesn't even know what video engineers do. A dead giveaway.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

I see the exact same thing you do. Thanks for confirming my speculation about what is actually transpiring here.

Talk about a TROLL!!!! He is putting us all on, since he is living in his in-laws basement with nothing better to do.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

55 minutes ago, Northtek said:

Have to save this gem.

32 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

I was told that this was important to let people feel involved, gain feed back and such as it was important to gage reactions, but every show I was on someone else did this step. Truthfully I had to admit when they gave us the data we tried to use it, but overall they also told me that dealing with the public is not something that most of them wanted to deal with. 

As for not knowing what a video engineer does, many of those guys wore may hats, but I had little involvement with them, they had nothing to do with my job. In Fact, outside of productions that were unionized, we didn't have them, so it left me wondering if they were really that needed, as most videographers take care of their own equipment.

But here is the thing, feedback maybe an important step, but this site seems to be full of people over estimating their worth or have nothing better to do than take away from what others try to do. 

Because seriously outside of criticizing, you still haven't told us what exactly makes you an expert. But it just goes to show, people are all too willing to give criticism but unwilling to take it. 

So I am almost done the first episode and the help from this site has been pretty much from one or two people, the rest is just negative people spreading their own discontent on the world. So maybe its time to rethink if it is a helpful thing or not. 

Its a shame but not surprising.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Northtek said:

but this site seems to be full of people over estimating their worth

The main person here who appears to be over estimating their worth is you.

Going on and on about your ideas and experience and plans with lengthy post after lengthy post is not what is known as soliciting "feedback". 

You mentioned elsewhere that you were bored. That's patently evident. There are all sorts of worthwhile endeavors you could volunteer your time to in order to be part of and get a first hand look at the expat experience of those who actually live here, but it seems you prefer to blither on daily on a public forum instead.

And you also seem to be wanting to present the area in a video in a way that is not truly reflective of what goes on. For instance, you only want to show the lake when it's clear, not when it's muddy, even though muddy is how it looks a lot of the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, Northtek said:

I was told that this was important to let people feel involved, gain feed back and such as it was important to gage reactions, but every show I was on someone else did this step. Truthfully I had to admit when they gave us the data we tried to use it, but overall they also told me that dealing with the public is not something that most of them wanted to deal with. 

As for not knowing what a video engineer does, many of those guys wore may hats, but I had little involvement with them, they had nothing to do with my job. In Fact, outside of productions that were unionized, we didn't have them, so it left me wondering if they were really that needed, as most videographers take care of their own equipment.

But here is the thing, feedback maybe an important step, but this site seems to be full of people over estimating their worth or have nothing better to do than take away from what others try to do. 

Because seriously outside of criticizing, you still haven't told us what exactly makes you an expert. But it just goes to show, people are all too willing to give criticism but unwilling to take it. 

So I am almost done the first episode and the help from this site has been pretty much from one or two people, the rest is just negative people spreading their own discontent on the world. So maybe its time to rethink if it is a helpful thing or not. 

Its a shame but not surprising.

Bla, Bla, Bla...again!!!!!

Ok, well lets put our cards on the table, as I generally am filming everyday so i am not as free as some of you.

But for those that keep questioning my experience, well its pretty good, along with 5 different awards, my work has been widely acknowledged, including meet and greets with the Priminister of Canada. So here are the pics to ponder, One From the MMA, One with Viva Fria, and the last is with the priminister. This is just a snippet, but now lets see what you guys have.

Priminister Harper.jpg

Viva Fria.jpg

Me_in_the_ring_MMA.jpg

• Like 1

I tried to do something that would have a positive impact and give back, as I planed to feature the area and give good exposure to local business for free. I also hoped that it would be a pleasant experience for those involved. I didn't ask for money or anything other than maybe advice or feed back, but like the old saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished.