Chapala.com Webboard

Expat Experience

18 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Good luck with that.  The water on the north shore usually is pretty turbid.  I am told the reason is because it is so shallow and the wave action stirs up the turbidity.

As lakes go, IMO it is better admired from a bit of a distance.  :D 

6 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Problem now is wind causing waves. March is bad for that. You need about 3 days with no wind for the shoreside silt to settle the bottom. 

Yes I didn't realize how muddy the water can get. Plus I was also pleasantly surprised by the historic buildings and other points of interest.  There is a lot to be explored and I think I may need to cover this across several videos with better drones. As I have two new 4k drones ordered and will be picking up when I return to Canada in a couple of weeks. 

So I think I will highlight it for now, but get more in-depth later on when I can do the area justice. 

I am having a hard time finding certain info out as it all so far has been pretty generic. So if any one has so info on the following questions, I would greatly appreciate the info.

1.  What is the current population of expats in each of the towns?

2. The church in Chapala seems very old, any idea when it was built?

3. The meaning behind the slogan under the Chapala sign that reads " Es amor, Cultura, Familia, Tradition,..."?

4. Any areas of interest that are must sees?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Northtek said:

As I have two new 4k drones ordered and will be picking up when I return to Canada in a couple of weeks. 

Since you follow the rules for music licensing (which I applaud), are you aware of law for drones in Mexico?  

https://drone-laws.com/drone-laws-in-mexico/#:~:text=Commercial drone operators are required,Be Mexican by birth

The parrish church in Chapala San Francisco de Asis was originally built in 1548 by an Italian Friar Miguel de Bolonia.  It was first built with grass mixed adobe.  It was altered several times over the years with its last final restauration being done 1968 when the exterior was finally covered in cantera stone.  Prior to that it was white covered in limestone. The clock was imported from Europe.

46 minutes ago, bwhite1948 said:

Since you follow the rules for music licensing (which I applaud), are you aware of law for drones in Mexico?  

https://drone-laws.com/drone-laws-in-mexico/#:~:text=Commercial drone operators are required,Be Mexican by birth

Yes I was aware there were some regulations, but that was helpful as I was given some information, nothing as through as this though. I was planning on using a local drone operator, but after reading that, I may need to reconsider. As the person I planed on using assured me that he had everything required, but I am starting to wonder.

I will defiantly need the drones as they will get the best footage, but drones are not cheap, so I will look into this further.

Thanks for the heads up as I think my excitement for the drones and footage got ahead of my thinking. Also yes, I hate to think I am up tight about following rules, but because I am hosting some of the videos on YouTube, I have to be extra careful.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

The parrish church in Chapala San Francisco de Asis was originally built in 1548 by an Italian Friar Miguel de Bolonia.  It was first built with grass mixed adobe.  It was altered several times over the years with its last final restauration being done 1968 when the exterior was finally covered in cantera stone.  Prior to that it was white covered in limestone. The clock was imported from Europe.

Thanks, I have to admit I am fascinated by the history and architecture here, it brings out my geeky side. Last time I got this interested was in Ukraine as some of the building there were 400-500 years old, but I cant wait to get to the pyramids here. Not sure why I am so drawn to them, but it will be fun checking them out. 

10 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Problem now is wind causing waves. March is bad for that. You need about 3 days with no wind for the shoreside silt to settle the bottom. 

Yep - Febrero loco, y Marzo otro poco.       Give it a few weeks to settle down.      Also, I note the "drone law" quoted by another poster mentioned "commercial" drone operators.....if the intent is for a hobby and not a paying business, may be OK to DIY it - check it.    

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Go Solar said:

Yep - Febrero loco, y Marzo otro poco.       Give it a few weeks to settle down.      Also, I note the "drone law" quoted by another poster mentioned "commercial" drone operators.....if the intent is for a hobby and not a paying business, may be OK to DIY it - check it.    

Yes there is a grey area here, as I have to be honest with myself, as this could end up being just a very expensive hobby. But that is a risk we all take starting something new. Truth be told, I have a feeling that I am going overboard on this project, as 5 camera shoots is probably not needed. But that's how I was trained, as most productions I have been on have been live productions and old habits dont go away.

Plus I have to admit, I hate reshoots, so the more backups the better, as equipment failures are way to common, nothing sucks more than getting the perfect shot only to find out in editing that a file was corrupted or audio had to much noise. 

I do realize the chances of this becoming financially viable is close to winning the lottery, but its fun, so what the hell.

• Sad 1

This is why I am careful, just found out I got a copyright claim on a video for the audio, thankfully it was just a test video so it didn't count as a strike against the channel, but it was tagged as ineligible for Monetization by YouTube. I used a soundtrack that I purchased and have the license for use off a stock site. But this shows how sleezy some people are, they sell to stock sites then launch copyright claims to hijack any monetization when its used. 

"Even though you're not in the YouTube Partner Program, ads may be showing on your video. The revenue from these ads is being used to pay the artists and copyright owners for permission to use their content."

So now I have to make a counter claim and show the license, plus take down the content so this guy doesn't profit as it could take months to sort out. This happens way too often and just goes to show people will do anything for money. 

Luckily this wasn't a video that was intended to be monetized as my channel is not set up for that but I can imagine the frustration of content creators that rely on the income, only to be ripped off by these creeps. Plus one day I would like to have it monetized, but would like not to have to worry about people like this.
  • Sad 1

As to drone filming be careful where you use it.  A while back there was a drone operator here doing videos and posting them on youtube etc. 

He was filming along the waterfront some homes from the lakeside. His drone was shot down as it passed by one of the houses. That ended his drone videos

So best to film only 100% public areas

19 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

As to drone filming be careful where you use it.  A while back there was a drone operator here doing videos and posting them on youtube etc. 

He was filming along the waterfront some homes from the lakeside. His drone was shot down as it passed by one of the houses. That ended his drone videos

So best to film only 100% public areas

19 hours ago, Go Solar said:

New Olympic event?

image.jpeg.818836865ed6fee467fd988e013e9873.jpeg

Well That would defiantly put you out of play, But the main purpose of the drones is not to just take pretty picture, but more so to help with the story telling. Normally I wouldn't even consider them as they are not needed for most projects, but after seeing all the historic buildings, I started thinking it would be nice to get better shots that only a drone can do. Truth be told, I probably wouldn't have been able to justify the cost on this project, But I have 2 clients that want to do videos promoting their green energy companies in Canada, one a geothermal and the other is Solar and wind powered charging stations for cars. Both of which would be hard to film from the ground. I am sure go solar will understand this. 

Which is probably how I will be funding this project, as shooting commercials for Canadian and US markets is still a good way to earn a living. God knows I have done enough of them. 

But I will admit the idea if having the drones is exciting, maybe not practical, but sometimes you just have to feel the kid inside.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Northtek said:

Well That would defiantly put you out of play, But the main purpose of the drones is not to just take pretty picture, but more so to help with the story telling. Normally I wouldn't even consider them as they are not needed for most projects, but after seeing all the historic buildings, I started thinking it would be nice to get better shots that only a drone can do. Truth be told, I probably wouldn't have been able to justify the cost on this project, But I have 2 clients that want to do videos promoting their green energy companies in Canada, one a geothermal and the other is Solar and wind powered charging stations for cars. Both of which would be hard to film from the ground. I am sure go solar will understand this. 

Which is probably how I will be funding this project, as shooting commercials for Canadian and US markets is still a good way to earn a living. God knows I have done enough of them. 

But I will admit the idea if having the drones is exciting, maybe not practical, but sometimes you just have to feel the kid inside.

Just do it already!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Just do it already!!!

Hey Gringohombre you should really consider a career in creative writing, These "Go away", "leave us alone", and now "just do it already" are real gems, Pulitzers stuff. Not sure why you are wasting all this talent here, as twitter really needs this gold.

Anyway, yes, I am "doing it already", I was hoping to find a proper host, as this is the only area I am defiantly weak at, wrong side of the camera for me. But unfortunately, this is what's holding up the bus, so may have to go in a different direction. 

But I digress as the question I was here to ask it this, do most people just stay in the area or are their favorite places people like to go for like day trips or something?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I would recommend waiting till the rainy season.  The mountains turn miraculously green and it is reminiscent of Hawaii.  And the summer weather is marvelous.  Yeah the silt in the lake might be sturred up by the nightly heavy rains but boy will those mountains look so gorgeous.  You could wait for 2 or 3 days without rain to get a bluer looking lake.  There will always be periods of several days without rain.  Another interesting place to film is the Guachimontones archaeological park.  That house the only circular pyramids in all of México.  Only 2 hours drive from the lake and not far from Tequila a pueblo mágico.  Another fascinating place only 2 hours from here to visit for those that love beautiful colonial architecture is the lovely town of Lagos de Moreno, it is probably the best preserved colonial city in all of Jalisco.  All these videos will turn out better after the rains green the area up especially by the pyramids.

9 hours ago, Northtek said:

Hey Gringohombre you should really consider a career in creative writing, These "Go away", "leave us alone", and now "just do it already" are real gems, Pulitzers stuff. Not sure why you are wasting all this talent here, as twitter really needs this gold.

Anyway, yes, I am "doing it already", I was hoping to find a proper host, as this is the only area I am defiantly weak at, wrong side of the camera for me. But unfortunately, this is what's holding up the bus, so may have to go in a different direction. 

But I digress as the question I was here to ask it this, do most people just stay in the area or are their favorite places people like to go for like day trips or something?

In fact I DID have a career in creative writing. For years I owned and operated a small advertising agency in Los Angeles writing and producing 30 and 60 sec. TV and radio commercials. I learned this trade at Columbia College in Hollywood a highly rated TV and Film night school that I addended on the GI Bill and graduated from while working at a radio station during the day (KGIL 1060AM local sales). The instructors are all working professionals in thier craft, for example the lighting instructor might be a studio lighting director during the day. One of my writing instructors taught me a valuable lesson in commercial writing that I took with me all through my long advertising career: AIDA...Attention, Interest, Desire and Action. I am not one to toot my own horn, but you took me there. I would suggest that YOU take this lesson: brevity and to the point get the desired result. After writing hundreds (thousands including my years in radio) of spots for TV and radio, I think this is :60 seconds so I will stop here!!!  

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

In fact I DID have a career in creative writing. For years I owned and operated a small advertising agency in Los Angeles writing and producing 30 and 60 sec. TV and radio commercials. I learned this trade at Columbia College in Hollywood a highly rated TV and Film night school that I addended on the GI Bill and graduated from while working at a radio station during the day (local sales). The instructors are all working professionals in thier craft, for example the lighting instructor might be a studio lighting director during the day. One of my writing instructors taught me a valuable lesson in commercial writing that I took with me all through my long advertising career: AIDA...Attention, Interest, Desire and Action. I am not one to toot my own horn, but you took me there. I would suggest that YOU take this lesson: brevity and to the point get the desired result. After writing hundreds (thousands including my radio days) of spots for TV and radio, I think this is :60 seconds so I will stop there!!!  

Aw hell dawg, should have said that in the first place. One, I have no problem with you tooting, but also with that skill set, I expect your insults to be more creative from now on. 

3 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

I would recommend waiting till the rainy season.  The mountains turn miraculously green and it is reminiscent of Hawaii.  And the summer weather is marvelous.  Yeah the silt in the lake might be sturred up by the nightly heavy rains but boy will those mountains look so gorgeous.  You could wait for 2 or 3 days without rain to get a bluer looking lake.  There will always be periods of several days without rain.  Another interesting place to film is the Guachimontones archaeological park.  That house the only circular pyramids in all of México.  Only 2 hours drive from the lake and not far from Tequila a pueblo mágico.  Another fascinating place only 2 hours from here to visit for those that love beautiful colonial architecture is the lovely town of Lagos de Moreno, it is probably the best preserved colonial city in all of Jalisco.  All these videos will turn out better after the rains green the area up especially by the pyramids.

Yes I am planning on hitting all the pyramids, as I am fascinated with them and not sure why but inexplicably drawn to them, same thing as Sedona Arizona. 

But I will look for Lagos de Moreno as it sounds interesting.

Thanks for the advice. 

Also, need some advice, as getting around is becoming a problem as I was using the wife's parents SUV, but its not always available. So I am thinking it would be better to bring my truck in from Canada as its and F150 Sport and better than what I can get here as its still like new. 

I have been told this is a bad idea because it is a nice truck, but after looking around to buy something here, I am thinking it would be cheaper just to bring it.  

Any thoughts, also what's it like crossing the border into Mexico?

3 hours ago, Northtek said:

Aw hell dawg, should have said that in the first place. One, I have no problem with you tooting, but also with that skill set, I expect your insults to be more creative from now on. 

I do not consider what I said as insult...just advise!!! At least spend some time here soaking in the atmosphere and getting a little experience with the history before coming onto a board like this where many us here have heard of these types of grand ideas before. Plus you are all over the place with your ideas and now we have to hear about all your problems with your wife's parents SUV and bringing your truck from Canada. First you were not looking for any funding and then you are realizing that this is going to be expensive. Then its about expats experience and then a sort of local travelogue. Now, I'm a guy who has been around the block a few times and this seems like an old fashioned fishin' expedition to me!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2022 at 7:20 PM, gringohombre said:

Just do it already!!!

54 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

A typical Canadian trait to "hem and haw."

10 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

You are full of it likening all of us to one border promo on this board. Fortunately all USA-ers aren't typically you-hee haw.

I am Canadian! I migrated to San Diiego over 40 years ago. I know what typical Canadians are like. I know what typical Californians are like. Your small mindedness is apparent in this case.