Chapala.com Webboard

Expat Experience

14 hours ago, gringohombre said:

BOOOORING!!!!! 

Great, I am glad you cleared that up. Ok now that Elvis has left the building, I would like to clarify a couple of things. Primarily is this project is not intended to try and advertise, sell, or in any way financially benefit in this region. Simply because our market is in Canada and the budgets we need are easily obtainable there and would require far less effort than here. Plus that is where our target audience will be. Simple truth is this, retirement in Canada has become more of a dream than reality, so more Canadians will be looking for alternatives to this growing problem. Mexico stands out as a possibility as the weather is favorable and flights back and forth are relatively affordable, not to mention the cost of maintaining a good life style here is so cheap.

Secondly, I will not be focusing only on the Chapala area, as there are a lot of new developments around Mexico, especially the Guadalajara area.  So as much as I would like to showcase the region more, as it would benefit a lot of business, including this site, it seems there are too many people more concerned about how things will affect them and couldn't care a less on how it would bring in much needed income to local business. Not to mention this site as it relies on advertising and growth of users. So driving traffic to this site will not make any sense, unless the administration gets a handle on people trying to drive that traffic away.

We are going ahead with this project regardless of what people think or what snarky responses they make, so it makes it easier to use this site as a place to send people, but its not the only one.

I will release filming dates for Chapala soon, but for now we are looking for people to interview on two topics, one is called "my Mexico", where people can share there experiences and give insights on how to live better here. The other will be "day tripping" where we will follow expats to their favorite places to visit and explore.

Look forward to hearing from everyone.

Judging by your teaser,yer a pro. My son is the producer of a kid's science based series on Brit TV. He has a staff of 22 who wouldn't leave him alone when he was here trying to relax at Festivus with us at Quixmala. Next project will be the producer of a documentary funded by a REALLY BIG outfit known fer big budgets. He's a Canucklehead based in London,originally from Alberta. Unlike some of the know nothing nimrods on this board this ain't my or his mothers first rodeo in this kinda stough either. Carry on carrying on-bueno suerte.

12.jpg

28 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Judging by your teaser,yer a pro. My son is the producer of a kid's science based series on Brit TV. He has a staff of 22 who wouldn't leave him alone when he was here trying to relax at Festivus with us at Quixmala. Next project will be the producer of a documentary funded by a REALLY BIG outfit known fer big budgets. He's a Canucklehead based in London,originally from Alberta. Unlike some of the know nothing nimrods on this board this ain't my or his mothers first rodeo in this kinda stough either. Carry on carrying on-bueno suerte.

12.jpg

Thanks, yes I spent most of my career as a producer for several TV shows, to show my age, I started out on Open mike with Mike Bullard. All the shows I worked on was on national networks, it was considered about as far as you could go in that area, yes it consumed most of my time and I lost a lot of years with the kids, which I regret the most. Hopefully your son doesn't have that problem. Unfortunately I was working with Astral Media and it was bought out by Bell, so I was told the only way I could continue was to move to Toronto. 

By that time I had already sacrificed to much time with the kids and decided it was not worth it, so I bought my own equipment and started a media company of my own. That way I can have time with the kids before they went off to college. Which I am glad I did as it gave me independence from the networks and I no longer needed to fully support their narrative under threat of losing my job like a lot of my friends are having to endure. 

Hopefully your son will have better luck as there is a lot of pressure to choose between having a career and compromising your ethics. I tried for the last 3 years, but unfortunately, covering the news, I was told there is no room for personal ethics anymore.  I loved my work, but I simply could not support what they were asking me to do. 

So here I am, starting fresh and hoping to get back to the basics, which is developing independent content that will focus on something positive and can hopefully benefit someone. Unfortunately I am an ideologist that believes people and hoping deep down we are better than we are being portrayed in the news.

3 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

Just ignore the haters, the haters are always gonna hate.  Maybe consider giving Chapala town the spotlight over Ajijic, many of the youngerish people coming down that I talk to are starting to prefer Chapala over Ajijic because of its easy smooth flat walkability and its more Mexican vibes.  

Thanks, that sounds like a good idea and yes I am learning to ignore the haters as I think some are purposely trying to confront people in order to have the thread become political and locked by the admins. So best not to engage  as that's exactly what they want.

On 3/13/2022 at 10:01 AM, mexijims1 said:

Maybe he can film the infrastructure disaster done at the Walmart intersection with the Libramiento.   That would be really constructive !!   

Only if he can drive through using all possible entrances and exits, and explain all of the options. That video would be gold!

Been walking through there recently and *almost* have it all figured out. Glad I don't have a car. Kinda miss the previous configuration, to be honest...

I will be filming in Chapala next week so I will take a look. Truth be told, since I have gotten here I have favored the mopeds I bought for me and the wife more so than I thought, as I am used to my 150 back home, but with traffic here, I have found the mopeds get me around well, plus I have to say they are turning out to be a lot of fun. 

I am uncertain if I should bring my truck here as everyone says its not a good idea as its still pretty much new, but for now we are using the mopeds and an older SUV. It works, but I really miss my truck when I am here. But I guess I will see how things go.

On 3/16/2022 at 2:24 PM, happyjillin said:

12.jpg

Your arrogance has no limits. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

Your arrogance has no limits. 

Easy HoneyBee, I dont know people well here yet but being proud of your children shouldn't be anything considered bad. Plus I have to admit my confidence is often considered arrogance, unless you know me, then you realize that its really the fact that I have been doing things so long, that I no longer concern myself with most things. Plus once you get criticized in the national news, you realize in a mater of weeks, no one cares anymore.

Along with that, I have found that most people remember the ones who make the nasty remarks long after they forget what was said in the first place. So just remember that people will judge you more for your comments than actions, as comments here are well documented. 

But the older I get, the more I realize that the only thing that matters is we treat people well. Even the ones we dont agree with.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Northtek said:

Easy HoneyBee, I dont know people well here yet but being proud of your children shouldn't be anything considered bad. Plus I have to admit my confidence is often considered arrogance, unless you know me, then you realize that its really the fact that I have been doing things so long, that I no longer concern myself with most things. Plus once you get criticized in the national news, you realize in a mater of weeks, no one cares anymore.

Along with that, I have found that most people remember the ones who make the nasty remarks long after they forget what was said in the first place. So just remember that people will judge you more for your comments than actions, as comments here are well documented. 

But the older I get, the more I realize that the only thing that matters is we treat people well. Even the ones we dont agree with.

You will get to know HappyJillin. Only a couple of days ago he insulted a women who had just lost her husband.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, HoneyBee said:

You will get to know HappyJillin. Only a couple of days ago he insulted a women who had just lost her husband.

ok that's sad and never should be done. I will admit I am overly optimistic and try and give everyone the benefit of the doubt. But starting to understand people here like the controversy. So I guess it is what it is. 

• Thanks 1

FYI to the OP and all interested -

1 - Page 15 of the new Guad Reporter has this relevant / connected piece on Tony Burton's new book (below)

2 - we have info that there is going to be an Earth Day weekend event featuring a wide range of environmental groups & sustainable living and practices info, wide range, from indigenous, Mexican, and expats, to be held in the Ajijic Plaza.   More info to come. 

image.png

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Go Solar said:

FYI to the OP and all interested -

1 - Page 15 of the new Guad Reporter has this relevant / connected piece on Tony Burton's new book (below)

2 - we have info that there is going to be an Earth Day weekend event featuring a wide range of environmental groups & sustainable living and practices info, wide range, from indigenous, Mexican, and expats, to be held in the Ajijic Plaza.   More info to come. 

image.png

How many are flying in on their personal jet? Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Northtek said:

Also we have or first Date filming in Chapala, which will be this coming Monday, so keep an eye out and come say hello.

What are you going to do for music? There are some real talented musicians and producers here. I ain't got long so I hired a group to do my wake song,cover of "bo diddley is crazy" personalized to "pedro is crazy". Friend on this board did the visual add of my life for me. Cost including pizza and beer a few times,$30,000mp.I kept upping the pesos because after reviewing each stage figured they weren't charging enough. As a pro you know this would have cost waaaaaay more in Canada ,US and UK out of reach of an ordinary guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj5zpbSufD8

pedro kertesz

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

What are you going to do for music? There are some real talented musicians and producers here. I ain't got long so I hired a group to do my wake song,cover of "bo diddley is crazy" personalized to "pedro is crazy". Friend on this board did the visual add of my life for me. Cost including pizza and beer a few times,$30,000mp.I kept upping the pesos because after reviewing each stage figured they weren't charging enough. As a pro you know this would have cost waaaaaay more in Canada ,US and UK out of reach of an ordinary guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj5zpbSufD8

pedro kertesz

Music is a vital element and I am hoping to use local talent as much as possible. Unfortunately it will be a tightrope to walk with all the regulations, but when possible, will be using. 

" I ain't got long so I hired a group to do my wake" if I am reading this right, then sorry to hear.

1 minute ago, Northtek said:

Music is a vital element and I am hoping to use local talent as much as possible. Unfortunately it will be a tightrope to walk with all the regulations, but when possible, will be using. 

" I ain't got long so I hired a group to do my wake" if I am reading this right, then sorry to hear.

What regulations?

On 3/19/2022 at 12:53 PM, happyjillin said:

What regulations?

Not sure how I missed this comment but yes, regulations on copyright material. Using local talent is great in theory until you find yourself on the wrong end of a copywrite claim. All music I use has to have a Licensed certificate of use, otherwise anyone can claim ownership, once a claim is made, regardless of if it is true or not, the video is removed. 

Nothing sucks more than spending months to produce content then having it removed because of someone thinking its to close to their song or some one deciding that a video is too popular and then deciding after the fact they should have been paid more. 

On 3/19/2022 at 1:01 PM, gringohombre said:

He just likes to make things up!!!

So no I dont just make this stuff up. This happens all the time, especially on You Tube, there are actual trolls that seek out content to claim as there own to try and get you tube to redirect earnings to them. So everything is documented and licensed. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Northtek said:

Not sure how I missed this comment but yes, regulations on copyright material. Using local talent is great in theory until you find yourself on the wrong end of a copywrite claim. All music I use has to have a Licensed certificate of use, otherwise anyone can claim ownership, once a claim is made, regardless of if it is true or not, the video is removed. 

Nothing sucks more than spending months to produce content then having it removed because of someone thinking its to close to their song or some one deciding that a video is too popular and then deciding after the fact they should have been paid more. 

What you're fretting about has nothing to do with hiring locals to do your music. I shall shut my pie hole now -no more suggestions. Just one more thing. You mention that you had high station in the production of a show that I used to watch in Canada. Can you supply an optic of the credits and who you are therein?

pedro kertesz

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

What you're fretting about has nothing to do with hiring locals to do your music. I shall shut my pie hole now -no more suggestions. Just one more thing. You mention that you had high station in the production of a show that I used to watch in Canada. Can you supply an optic of the credits and who you are therein?

pedro kertesz

'What you're fretting about has nothing to do with hiring locals to do your music" As a matter of fact yes, bands or musicians were the worst to deal with after the fact, even when you pay them what they had asked for, they come back after the show airs and ask for more money or royalties.  I have had a couple bad experiences mostly with on shows I worked on so I wasn't the one getting sued but it was a bad enough experiences to say thanks but no thanks.

So I get what you are saying, but people are crazy and its not worth the aggravation. Plus music and soundtracks are so easy to buy online royalty free, there is no reason to try and deal with peoples egos and greed.

As far as the "high station" not really sure what you mean, but if you can tell me which show, I can let you know what I did for them. Generally I am listed as post production, Except the CFT, where I was listed in the credits as Producer/director. Occasionally as Videographer, but only because I was able to film in 6 plus foot waves without getting sea sick. Apparently that is a big problem for a lot of videographers, so I was trained simply because of that, and I dont have an issue with heights, otherwise I would have never filmed.

Ok it seems like I picked a bad day to film in Chapala as yesterday the water was almost a mud brown. Got some good footage, but it being a lakeside community, it would probably be better when you can show the water. So if anyone knows when its best to film when the water is not as dirty, please let me know. 

11 minutes ago, Northtek said:

Ok it seems like I picked a bad day to film in Chapala as yesterday the water was almost a mud brown. Got some good footage, but it being a lakeside community, it would probably be better when you can show the water. So if anyone knows when its best to film when the water is not as dirty, please let me know. 

Good luck with that.  The water on the north shore usually is pretty turbid.  I am told the reason is because it is so shallow and the wave action stirs up the turbidity.

As lakes go, IMO it is better admired from a bit of a distance.  :D 

• Like 1