Chapala.com Webboard

Favourite small house reno shops/outfits? -- rooftop decking (plastic/ceramic/wood), house electric wiring?

I had not had a need for this because we were renting, but since we purchased recently because of our large number of friends here... we're in the process of lots of minor renos, some by trades and some by our hand.  For example, we want to be able to hold parties on our rooftop.   

We chopped down a very old 8 foot C-Band satellite dish left behind by the old homeowner, plus other clutter, and just freed up a massive rooftop deck.  Solar will be the awning/gazebo cover, but the floor is concrete and uneven (has a drainage channel).   

1. Sources of rooftop decking? 
I'm only familiar with wood decking of the 2x6 or 2x4 kind (or similar) in Canada.  Here, to solve the uneven concrete rooftop floor with built-in drainage channels -- I'm thinking of installing a permeable floor, like deck-style floor.  That way the drainage channels still work but the floor becomes flat.   But wood isn't good for a hot Chapala rooftop, so I'm wondering what people do about covering uneven rooftops with planks -- perhaps a special kind of wood formulation designed for these climates, or plastic planks, or plastic tiles

2. Shops for electrical wiring? (15 amp indoors type), power outlets / GFCI / power switches, etc. 
There's a couple of easy jobs I want to do, like adding an outlet where none exist.  What are the favorite shops of Chapala/Ajijic I should be browsing through?   I'd love to know some local favorites now that I have a sudden need for these for the first time.  I've long done DIY electricity upgrades back in Canada, and while I can hire local labour, I'm perfectly happy installing a couple my way (so wiring is hidden the way I like it, etc.)  Some will be surface-mount outlets in a workshop building at the back of the backyard.

3. Trades (or DIY) for embedding a new outlet into concrete?
For the outlets that needs to be embedded in concrete, I may hire a trade, but I'm also interested if there's a Ryobi or DeWalt cordless tool capable of cutting a cube-shape hole in a wall for installing an outlet (from wiring coming in from opposite side).  Already have a drill and masonry bits.

Thoughts & recommendations?   

35 minutes ago, timjwilson said:

go radical - sod roof - patio

Though contemporary green roofs is an idea, we prefer a permeable deck at this time because of planned shade and also solar panels above the patio (thread).  

Via another channel, I've just been informed of bamboo deck options, either as bamboo stalks (tiki / raft look) or bamboo-fiber 2x4's (traditional look), both of which are available.  I'll accept tips of local suppliers on these too.

(Commentary: Although our concrete roof appears to be strongly built enough to support a full size 3rd story or a green roof -- we are doing some common local greenery along one edge -- like flower boxes / edge gardens / small palmy trees for the opposite edge of the roof that is not covered by the solar panels.)

2 hours ago, GDouglas said:

I had not had a need for this because we were renting, but since we purchased recently because of our large number of friends here... we're in the process of lots of minor renos, some by trades and some by our hand.  For example, we want to be able to hold parties on our rooftop.   

We chopped down a very old 8 foot C-Band satellite dish left behind by the old homeowner, plus other clutter, and just freed up a massive rooftop deck.  Solar will be the awning/gazebo cover, but the floor is concrete and uneven (has a drainage channel).   

1. Sources of rooftop decking? 
I'm only familiar with wood decking of the 2x6 or 2x4 kind (or similar) in Canada.  Here, to solve the uneven concrete rooftop floor with built-in drainage channels -- I'm thinking of installing a permeable floor, like deck-style floor.  That way the drainage channels still work but the floor becomes flat.   But wood isn't good for a hot Chapala rooftop, so I'm wondering what people do about covering uneven rooftops with planks -- perhaps a special kind of wood formulation designed for these climates, or plastic planks, or plastic tiles

2. Shops for electrical wiring? (15 amp indoors type), power outlets / GFCI / power switches, etc. 
There's a couple of easy jobs I want to do, like adding an outlet where none exist.  What are the favorite shops of Chapala/Ajijic I should be browsing through?   I'd love to know some local favorites now that I have a sudden need for these for the first time.  I've long done DIY electricity upgrades back in Canada, and while I can hire local labour, I'm perfectly happy installing a couple my way (so wiring is hidden the way I like it, etc.)  Some will be surface-mount outlets in a workshop building at the back of the backyard.

3. Trades (or DIY) for embedding a new outlet into concrete?
For the outlets that needs to be embedded in concrete, I may hire a trade, but I'm also interested if there's a Ryobi or DeWalt cordless tool capable of cutting a cube-shape hole in a wall for installing an outlet (from wiring coming in from opposite side).  Already have a drill and masonry bits.

Thoughts & recommendations?   

By far the best place for plumbing & electric supplies is Casa Del Plumero just west of Ajijic on mountain side

As far as a cutting tool a small disc cutter can be had for under$1500  Locally it is referred to as a grillo Probably available in Casa del Plumero and most hardware stores. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

As far as a cutting tool a small disc cutter can be had for under$1500  Locally it is referred to as a grillo Probably available in Casa del Plumero and most hardware stores. 

That part I might hire a local trade (the same ones that is doing other stuff we don't want to do)...

For considering this portion as a DIY project -- I've also watched a few youtube videos such as this. one.  That is certainly easy and much simpler than some electricals and in-walls I've done in Canada, but I will have to wait until we've purchased a vaccuum cleaner for all the cement dust. 😆   

Just that I've never needed to do this in Canada, since Canadian houses generally aren't made of concrete...