Chapala.com Webboard

Construction east of Ponchos lake side

sm1mex

I agree with Mainecoons. It would have to be a small Chedraui but I would be delighted. Ooooh. Competition for Walmart! On the other hand, you think getting in and out of Walmart is bad? That location would make the already dreadful traffic worse.

6 hours ago, Ferret said:

I agree with Mainecoons. It would have to be a small Chedraui but I would be delighted. Ooooh. Competition for Walmart! On the other hand, you think getting in and out of Walmart is bad? That location would make the already dreadful traffic worse.

If it's smaller, it would be one of their new 'Supercitos' I guess.

LOL. You beat me to it HoneyBee. Yeah, a Tim Horton's with a drive through. More than possible in that location. Since the 711 closed in Riberas, there is no place to get a decent donut west of Donas/Donuts until you get to the 711 in Chapala. A Swiss Chalet wouldn't hurt either.

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

LOL. You beat me to it HoneyBee. Yeah, a Tim Horton's with a drive through. More than possible in that location. Since the 711 closed in Riberas, there is no place to get a decent donut west of Donas/Donuts until you get to the 711 in Chapala. A Swiss Chalet wouldn't hurt either.

On a side note, when my parents moved from Switzerland to Ontario Canada in 1996 my mom got all excited when they drove by a Swiss Chalet thinking she could get a cheese fondue, well was she ever disappointed (from memory they specialize in chicken based dishes. 😬).

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

Yes. It's roast chicken with dipping sauce to die for. For a cheese fondue you have to be in ski country... Collingwood, Ontario... The Swiss Alphorn on highway 26.

I preferred their ribs with the chicken dipping sauce. Some places, swiss chalet and harveys are side by each because they are owned by the same corp.

1 hour ago, barrbower said:

A bodega much like Pancho's.  Underneath will be unloading and storage. 

So a bodego where one must climb steps and then descend with bags???

That's going to be REALLY popular....

Upstairs could be a restaurant like Pancho's has.  I'm not sure there will be steps to get to the main floor.  Basement level isn't for customers.  Also have to think that not everything here is designed for the senior gringos.  We get to choose where we spend money and the owners get to choose how they design and build.  I never understood why most of the new homes (condos and singles) seem to have two levels.  I know land is expensive but costs could be recouped by charging a little more for homes on one level that were built with the relatively wealthy expats in mind.  I mean, senior locals don't like stairs either!

Alan

16 hours ago, barrbower said:

To resolve the mystery...according to a construction foreman at the site, it is going to be a bodega much like Pancho's.  Underneath will be unloading and storage.  Parking in front.  Traffic worse.

Alan

I learned many years ago not to trust info given by construction workers re: what they were building, especially to a gringo. They love to start a rumor and they know how it infuriates gringos to not know what is being built. It may well be what you were told...but it may not be. It's just another fascinating page of living in Mexico. 

• Haha 3