Chapala.com Webboard

Beach sand

fishcake

I am looking for about 3 litres of beach sand.  I wish to use it to make non skid areas on my outdoor ceramic floor.  I have tried building suppliers (too fine it would turn to mud) aquarium  supplies too coarse. Kitty litter would break down. None at plant supplies.

Should you have any or are driving back from the beach to Ajijic please let me know

I believe most times here now the builders are using river sand and sifting it to the desired size.

You could also try pool filter sand which is very uniform and I think might be the proper consistency.  It is available at the local pool stores.  It is usually a silica sand which is normally used NOB for this purpose.

There's a sand called Skid Tex made specifically for this purpose.  You add one pound for gallon.  You might find it on Mercado Libre or Amazon.

Skid Tex is on Amazon Mexico but the price is ridiculous.  You can order a similar product, 6 pounds, from Amazon U.S.

Screenshot (84).png

• Like 1

Another option:  Restaurants use a rubber mat to keep from sliding and following.  Two or 3 of these can be cut to width desired and used.  Each mat will provide 2 or 3 cuttings.  Big advantage, if you want to go back to the tiles, you just take them up. Will last many years. They also have mats for horse and cattle trailers to keep the livestock from falling.  

Don't use river sand for concrete construction. It's rounded while beach sand is fractured. That's why some places experience building failures like India using river sand. It's just not the same. For non skid I'd think a bump is a bump so it won't matter as much as long as the paint holds up.

Would be nice if outdoors roughed up tiles were cheap. Could always ask how much some art students would charge for chiseling some designs into the concrete that would act as a non skid surface. Cheapest route is babysit some young ones giving them eye protection with chisels and hammers :)

• Confused 1