Chapala.com Webboard

Cooking sherry

dennis clark

Most people would use Mexican Tres Coronas Sherry, which is medium sweet. Leave out any added sugar to your dish until final testing. It has a rich, fruiity sherry flavor and is inexpensive (especially compared to imported dry sherries). I find that I can substitute this sherry for Japanese Mirin and Chinese Shangxoi. An expert taster would probably notice the difference though.

Cooking wines went out of favor quite a few years ago. They are usually vastly inferior table wines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Most people would use Mexican Tres Coronas Sherry, which is medium sweet. Leave out any added sugar to your dish until final testing. It has a rich, fruiity sherry flavor and is inexpensive (especially compared to imported dry sherries). I find that I can substitute this sherry for Japanese Mirin and Chinese Shangxoi. An expert taster would probably notice the difference though.

Cooking wines went out of favor quite a few years ago. They are usually vastly inferior table wines.

Available locally? Paz ?

44 minutes ago, dennis clark said:

Available locally? Paz ?

Available everywhere, Soriana, Walmart. Paz is kind of confusing right now, they are making some major changes right and are keeping the business open while working. Seldom a good idea.

Also pickup some Mexican Presidente Brandy. Also very inexpensive and not nasty at all. Mix some with the sherry to soften the sugar load. Do not buy Paz least expensive vodka, it tastes like wet cardboard moonshine. Buy at least Oso Negro. I don't know why Mexico cannot produce a decent rum, but they don' t.

Then there are all sorts of non alcohol flavor extracts from the U.S.A. They are usually mixed with vodka and sugar syrup, if the recipe requires it. Some are very tasty indeed. Oso Negro is triple carbon filtered, but really needs on more filter for a neutral unflavored spirit. If you are buying 95% proof cane alcohol, that also should be carbon filtered. An easy process, gravity does all the work.

These ingredients are all available from https://brewhaus.com/

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Bacardi y Compañía S.A. de C.V.  produces Bacardi rum in Mexico. Most would rate Bacardi as decent

14.JPG

Misleading. Bacardi has bottling plants and aging facilities all over the world. It is primarily produced at a huge facility in Puerto Rico. The Bacardi bottling/aging plant in NYC serves the whole USA - does that make it American Rum?