Chapala.com Webboard

Villa Monet Restaurant

dichosalocura

I had an ex brother in law, since passed, who was a hoser. He could walk around with a beer bottle in one hand, a lit cigarrette in the other. If he tripped over a rock or a root, he would shoot right backup with the beer and cigarrette. He wouldnt then say I almost hit my head, he would say Wow, I almost spilt my beer!

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Not true. Mexicans tell me as a Canadian, I am not considered a "gringo". They say gringo means American.

PLEEEZE...Unless you are close friends or a relative how can they tell??? I happen to be half Canadian (on my mothers side) so I have no dog in this fight...I am just just saying that generally Mexicans refer to us (Americans, Canadians, and European Expats) as Gringos. It is not meant to be offensive...just reality!!!  

55 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

PLEEEZE...Unless you are close friends or a relative how can they tell??? 

I didn't say they could tell by looking at me, did I? I said they have told me that gringo means and American, and that if I am Canadian, I am not a gringo. No, they don't call all foreigners gringos, they call them extranjeros.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

I didn't say they could tell by looking at me, did I? I said they have told me that gringo means and American, and that if I am Canadian, I am not a gringo. No, they don't call all foreigners gringos, they call them extranjeros.

Anyway, as an American (half Canadian) I am proud to be called a Gringo and welcomed into this great country...so there!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We ate here last night around 5:30. No other customers during our stay. The grounds and building are amazing.  We both ordered hamburgers and wine.  The burgers looked and tasted like they came from Walmart. This was not good beef. House red. 90 p. house white, 80 p. Our bill was 513 P.

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

We ate here last night around 5:30. No other customers during our stay. The grounds and building are amazing.  We both ordered hamburgers and wine.  The burgers looked and tasted like they came from Walmart. This was not good beef. House red. 90 p. house white, 80 p. Our bill was 513 P.

Thanks for the report.  I thank I will give this restaurant a pass.  I noticed the steaks were 100P higher than other places.

For some unknown reason, the difference in the price of hamburgers is amazing.  There are excellent, good beef burgers at some restaurants, including fries, under 100 pesos.  Others which are either no better, or sometimes worse, are priced way up there.  You have to wonder whether the owners think their customers are stupid, or just haven't made any comparisons. Much the same applies to steaks.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:37 AM, gringal said:

For some unknown reason, the difference in the price of hamburgers is amazing.  There are excellent, good beef burgers at some restaurants, including fries, under 100 pesos.  Others which are either no better, or sometimes worse, are priced way up there.  You have to wonder whether the owners think their customers are stupid, or just haven't made any comparisons. Much the same applies to steaks.

My question is why would anyone go to a nice restaurant and order a hamburger? I used to live in a town in California that we joked was the hamburger capital of the state...a McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King on every corner...thankfully not here!!! If I want a hamburger, this is one of the things that I can cook up right in my own kitchen. I always have frozen burgers that I have learned to prepare myself. First I go to Tony's Carnicería right here in SAT and buy a kilo of thier prepared hamburger meat. Then I go next door to Super Lake and buy a box of Lipton Golden Onion soup mix and a package of McCormick chili spice, put it into a large bowl with a little avocado oil and toss it by hand till all mixed up. I then pat into patties and wrap in aluminum foil and freeze. The amount of soup mix and spice depends on your taste. When needed, thaw and either grill or fry and place on a toasted bun. I use mayonnaise and then top with sliced dill pickles...but again this will be your choice of toppings. Quick, simple and cheap!!! When I take the time to go out to a nice restaurant I want to enjoy the experience and the cuisine that I would never be able to, or want to take the time to prepare myself. Hamburger in a nice restaurant??? Never!!! IMO....  

• Like 3