Chapala.com Webboard

The likely scenario with a positive Covid test result the last 24 hrs. before returning to the US

You go the kiosk at Soriana for an antigen test as required in the last 24 hrs. before boarding your flight to the US. You get a positive test result a few hours later. You now can't board the flight the next day and have to call the airlines to rebook your flight. Do they all still waive the change fee with a positive result? ( Do you have to fax your positive test result to them for them to waive the change fee?). So you have to rebook your flight for a future flight which could well be more expensive than your original flight. And then you might need to start looking for another place to stay until the new departure date.  All of this is contingent upon a negative test result, of course. Am I assessing this scenario correctly? That this could wind up potentially costing you plenty?

Has anyone gone through this scenario recently? Especially since the CDC changed the negative test result being required in the last 24 hrs. before boarding?

49 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

I would try another test, maybe at Walmart.  There are many false positives with these tests.

Can you give us a source for this statement?  Studies I read say false positives run around 0.15% or 15 in 1,000 on these tests. That doesn't fit my definition of "many".

9 minutes ago, RickS said:

Music, your scenario is what I understand that one will face. I have no info as to whether an airline in Mexico will even entertain a schedule change due to Covid. I'd check their website.

Rick, it probably would be American or Continental airlines. I'll check if they both still waive the change fee for a positive test. Even if they still do, you may have to pay more for the different flight back to the US.

3 hours ago, RickS said:

Can you give us a source for this statement?  Studies I read say false positives run around 0.15% or 15 in 1,000 on these tests. That doesn't fit my definition of "many".

She haz to be confused.. There are many false negativds but when you get a positive result you are positive..