Chapala.com Webboard

White Potatos vs Dirty Potatoes

dichosalocura

Just out of curiosity, I am far from being a potato connoisseur but the pototoes called dirty potatoes are they much different than the regular washed white potatoes?  The ladies in the fruterías all insist that they are better for frying.  Since they are slightly more expensive, are they worth the extra price or are they basically the same as the washed potatoes?  What is you guy's opinions.

I once used white potatoes in a classic gratin and they had such a high water content that the gratin was soupy and inedible. Russets, of which the "dirty" potatoes are kin, are preferred in many potato dishes. 

9 hours ago, tomgates said:

I once used white potatoes in a classic gratin and they had such a high water content that the gratin was soupy and inedible. Russets, of which the "dirty" potatoes are kin, are preferred in many potato dishes. 

THIS. I don't know if the potatoes at the markets are any different, but when making mashed, cough up the extra and go to SL or Pancho's and buy actual russets. The local stuff makes a really gluey, soupy mess and is pretty much inedible. They usually cook semi-ok for potato salad, if you're not too picky. 

• Like 1

Russets are grown in Mexico but the dirty potato's sold around here are a close relative of the russet.  I looked at Pancho's russet's and I don't think they are russet's from the USA.  Just like many other vegetables like onion's the soil it is growed in and the climate make a big difference. Russet potato's are great for french fries and for baking.  Much superior to the white/yellow potato found around here.

Another top of the line potato are from Prince Edward Island. They grow in the red soil there, for some reason they have been banned in the U.S.A. at the behest of the powerful lobby group. Someone should import some from the PEI, they would duty free under the new trade agreement.

On 1/4/2022 at 10:18 PM, dichosalocura said:

Just out of curiosity, I am far from being a potato connoisseur but the pototoes called dirty potatoes are they much different than the regular washed white potatoes?  The ladies in the fruterías all insist that they are better for frying.  Since they are slightly more expensive, are they worth the extra price or are they basically the same as the washed potatoes?  What is you guy's opinions.

They aren't russets but closer to a russet than the white potatoes.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:26 PM, rafterbr said:

Russets are grown in Mexico but the dirty potato's sold around here are a close relative of the russet.  I looked at Pancho's russet's and I don't think they are russet's from the USA.  Just like many other vegetables like onion's the soil it is growed in and the climate make a big difference. Russet potato's are great for french fries and for baking.  Much superior to the white/yellow potato found around here.

Russets like Idaho's need a cold winter. They would need to be grown on mountains here. Mexicans haven't shown any interest in growling them. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Another top of the line potato are from Prince Edward Island. They grow in the red soil there, for some reason they have been banned in the U.S.A. at the behest of the powerful lobby group. Someone should import some from the PEI, they would duty free under the new trade agreement.

Canadian Agricultural Products:
For fruits and vegetables from Canada, consult the FAVIR database.
Fruits and vegetables grown in Canada are generally admissible, if they have labels identifying them as products of Canada.  Potatoes from western regions of Canada are currently restricted because of a disease outbreak. While commercial imports are permitted under stringent guidelines, travelers from Canada should avoid bringing raw potatoes with them into the United States.  https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-3619?language=en_US

On 1/5/2022 at 3:36 PM, Tingting said:

THIS. I don't know if the potatoes at the markets are any different, but when making mashed, cough up the extra and go to SL or Pancho's and buy actual russets. The local stuff makes a really gluey, soupy mess and is pretty much inedible. They usually cook semi-ok for potato salad, if you're not too picky. 

Not my experience. Get potatoes at Chapala around the market,Soriana and Wally No problema except on rare occasion. Mashed,fries round or regular,pan fry,potato salad, dumplings,pancakes Czech style. No gracias to paying extra por nada! The mashed  is perfection and so are the fries in these fotos, I brag!

IMG_1279.jpg

corned beef and fries.jpg

In France potatoes with dirt on them are a sign they are fresher

Same in   Chiapas where the potatoes  are sold with  dirt on them.

The thing, i cannot make here without the right potatoes is the baked potatoes.. without the  thicker skin  , it does not work . 

• Like 1

The problem with U.S. grown russets is the fast food industry. Millions of $ bought by them, usually semi processed and frozen. The industry has very specific sizes the fries should be. This requires the potatoes to stay in the ground much longer to reach this size. The spuds are under constant attack from bugs and diseases. They need constant applications of pesticides, a winter kill, etc.

I have seen for sale seeds for nugget size russets, they may be worth a try. 

Our favorite is the Okinawa Sweet Potato. Brilliant purple flesh, not too sweet, and a nice creaminess. We are growing them from a tuber gifted by a friend. They take months to grow. If you see some in a market, buy them, try them, and grow some.

18 hours ago, bmh said:

In France potatoes with dirt on them are a sign they are fresher

Same in   Chiapas where the potatoes  are sold with  dirt on them.

The thing, i cannot make here without the right potatoes is the baked potatoes.. without the  thicker skin  , it does not work . 

Bruno sure knew how to do a decent baked potato. He ate at our BnB  for breakfast several times and answered many questions our cook had and she appreciated his advice. My questions about baking potatoes usually went answered sideways, lol. We did convince him to have on hand some crema acida for folks who requested it.

18 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

The flooding and backup at Vancouver seaport has caused a potato shortage. McDonalds in Japan is refusing medium and large french fry orders

Even frozen fries are in short supply here in the RGV. It's been widely reported in the US media.