Chapala.com Webboard

Airport Car Rentals

Chop

Anyone have a particular car rental place at the airport that they'd recommend?  A couple times in the states recently, I have reserved a car at an airport only to arrive and not have a vehicle available.  Curious if this happens at the GDL airport as well.

In mid January, I have a retreat just west of Toluca that I am planning to attend and I do not need a large car.  I'll be driving to the retreat center and then the car will not be used until I drive back to Chapala on the 24th.  

I've written several of the local folks (renting locally at lakeside would be my preference) that I could I find contact information, but several that have replied don't have a car during that time or haven't replied.

Thanks in Advance.

The only issue I have had with car rentals in Mexico is with the insurance. They insist of my purchase of "optional liability". If I say that if it is optional, I don't want it. (Keep in mind that in Mexico, the liability insurance in on the car, not the driver. The policy paperwork is in the glovebox.) So when I try to decline it, they say it is required. And at up to $40US/day, it is more than the actual rental. 

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

The only issue I have had with car rentals in Mexico is with the insurance. They insist of my purchase of "optional liability". If I say that if it is optional, I don't want it. (Keep in mind that in Mexico, the liability insurance in on the car, not the driver. The policy paperwork is in the glovebox.) So when I try to decline it, they say it is required. And at up to $40US/day, it is more than the actual rental. 

Right they all do it. The on line price does not reflect this charge.  A few weeks ago I went to Guadalajara and declined and declined and declined. Ok they wanted to take 3000 dollars on my credit card. Cost me an extra 100 bucks for nada.