Chapala.com Webboard

The effect of water softeners on Septic Systems

Ferret

22 hours ago, Tingting said:

Wow, we didn't realize that, either. Thanks for the info...you may have just kept us from flooding our absorption tank/septic tank because I had it set to regenerate a LOT more than average (very hard water).

How often are you regenerating your water softener ? I had mine set for every 6 days , but I'm going through salt like crazy. At least my flush is not going into my tank

It was started at 6 days, lowered to 4 and I changed it to 3 because we still had mineral rings when water dried. The flush just goes to the side of our yard but I didn't realize that there was quite a bit of water that was flushed. It's not connected into our septic or absorption tank but there's a small hose for the discharge on the side of our aljibe and then it goes into the grass...which would be great except it's on a hill and the septic and absorption are below, although to the side.  I've been going nuts trying to figure out why the water level got so high so quickly in the absorption tank (insert huge "Duh!" here). Anyway, salt was about a bag a month. I don't know if that's super fast but it seemed worth it if the mineral rings disappeared. They've lessened but haven't totally gone away. I do like the feeling of the water, though, so it's still worth it. Now, I have it switched back to every 4 days and I'll definitely keep an eye on the tank! How much salt are you going through?

• Thanks 1

On 12/29/2021 at 3:21 PM, Tingting said:

It was started at 6 days, lowered to 4 and I changed it to 3 because we still had mineral rings when water dried. The flush just goes to the side of our yard but I didn't realize that there was quite a bit of water that was flushed. It's not connected into our septic or absorption tank but there's a small hose for the discharge on the side of our aljibe and then it goes into the grass...which would be great except it's on a hill and the septic and absorption are below, although to the side.  I've been going nuts trying to figure out why the water level got so high so quickly in the absorption tank (insert huge "Duh!" here). Anyway, salt was about a bag a month. I don't know if that's super fast but it seemed worth it if the mineral rings disappeared. They've lessened but haven't totally gone away. I do like the feeling of the water, though, so it's still worth it. Now, I have it switched back to every 4 days and I'll definitely keep an eye on the tank! How much salt are you going through?

About a bag per month too based on every 6 day wash.  Hilarious that I'm spending over double the $ in salt per year vs property tax. I do think I need to adjust the valve on top of the tank, the water feels a little too slippery.

• Haha 1