Chapala.com Webboard

Wifi extender

Drew

Has anyone had expierence using a wifi extender?

For example:I live in a 3 story house.I have a telmex wifi modem on the first floor.I get a great signal on the second floor.Now I've bought a t.v. to use on the mirador.It gets a low signal.I would like a stronger wifi signal on the mirador.Has anyone used one of the wifi extenders you plug into a wall socket that supposedly extends the wifi.On Amazon they cost about 600pesos or maybe a little more depending on the brand name.I would appreciate some advise.

They work sometimes.  You have to be close to the original modem for them to work well.  They are not a miracle product.  I prefer to use an access point.  They come in two types.  One needs a internet cable connection the other uses WIFI to be repeated.  Many people put a mesh system  which works best but costs most.  Ask around some of your friends have done this before.

Good luck!

We have a modem in the office but living room is around a hall with 2 corners coming from office. We tried the one shown above but wasn’t strong enough so had to get one with 4 antennas.  I think 1200 pesos. Works well but has to be rebooted every so often. I don’t think it would go to a third floor. 

Have Hammer will Travel A.C. woodworking school had a problem of getting wifi to main shop from office building 50 ft away

Finally figured it our a main wifi was moved near the window in the office, then the wi fi extender  large one was placed  near the window in the shop 50 feet away they had a direct wifi straight line though the windows. it worked now we have wifi in the shop , no wires.

low cost way to solve problem

2 hours ago, Drew said:

Couple years ago we bought a mesh system, and returned it, simply because the installation seemed more work than it was worth. We then bought an outdoor extender and are very happy with it. It eliminated 2 additional routers we were using to provide coverage around the property. Be sure to connect the extender via an ethernet cable if you decide to use one of these. Buy one that uses a POE (power over ethernet) adapter (which eliminates the need for an electrical outlet to plug the extender into wherever you decide to place it).

Note not all routers can be configured as an access point easily.  You can end up with double NAT connection which can cause problems sometimes especially with gaming.  An access point is made out of the box to be a WIFI extender. I have one 10 year old access point that has four SMA antenna and the ability to have higher power is I choose too.  If I was doing it over now I would put in a mesh system.

Yes, we are using one of those setups where you plug into the wall.  It is NetGear and pretty old.

The key to having it work is both the sender and the receivers need to be on circuits that originate in the same fuse or breaker box.  The wiring needs to be good, tight and low resistance.

We do get some drop outs at the extremities but basically it works very well.

For the past year we have used the Linksys Velop AX4200 Wifi 6 Mesh System, Model: MX4200. Range: 8,100 feet. The purchase was made at a BestBuy in the States and at that time the model was being sold as 3 units per pack. Now on offer as a single pack. In my opinion, an excellent product. Not cheap but if you want excellent coverage well worth it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=Linksys+MX4200+wifi+system&_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=&sp=&qp=&list=n&af=true&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

• Like 1

On 12/28/2021 at 6:32 AM, Drew said:

For example:I live in a 3 story house.I have a telmex wifi modem on the first floor.I get a great signal on the second floor.Now I've bought a t.v. to use on the mirador.It gets a low signal.I would like a stronger wifi signal on the mirador.Has anyone used one of the wifi extenders you plug into a wall socket that supposedly extends the wifi.On Amazon they cost about 600pesos or maybe a little more depending on the brand name.I would appreciate some advise.

Hello Drew.  We switched to total play from telmex.  It was awesome.  then our grandson came to live with us, he is a serious gamer.  The router is down stairs, not close, his gaming computer is upstairs.  We got the extender from Total Play.  He use to say the wifi in Texas was the best.  Now he says this is awesome and probably the reason he wants to live here in mexico with us...lol...