Chapala.com Webboard

What Kind of Mushrooms Are These?

Bisbee Gal

15 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

I think you are right!  Thx.  They certainly are far tastier than the normal oysters seen here, all white, little flavor, IMO.  

Adding: panfried one for a test.  The stems are quite different texture.  For today's menu I will saute' tops and maybe play with stems another day---may be fine with longer cooking in a stew or soup???

• Like 1

As a forager for 'rooms almost all my life, alpha1, has correctly ID'd them. Gotta get me some! I wish these were in Mexico. Biggest ones I  ever found in Alberta-ya can bread and fry them like a steak. Yes I also found a 'room called fried chicken right across from my house in Millet. I used to oven and sun dry but then discovered that putting them in freezer for later use was almost as fresh as the day I picked them.

giant mushrooms.jpg

Setas is Spanish for mushrooms, generally. The ones in your pic are common white oysters.  Not much flavor, sadly.  The King Trumpet Oyster shrooms in my OP were very flavorful.  Not a regular Walmart shopper so no idea if the Kings are available routinely.  They were that same brand as in your pic.  

Thanks...they sure looked like the smaller ones that I get in a package.  Since WM only sells 3 types usually (white, "setas," and cremini with portabellos every so often), I never even thought to check the name. Since I've only heard folks using "champinon" for mushroom in the past, it never dawned on me to look "seta" up to see what they actually were. Lesson learned!

• Like 1

Years ago I bought a pack of shiitakes at Walmart.  Like I said I rarely shop there, but it seems they sometimes sell interesting shrooms.  fyi, creminis are often called Baby Bellos....they are juvenile portobellos.  

I have heard (and seen on menus) the terms champinons, setas and hongos to refer to mushrooms  

• Like 1

I love mushrooms but hate cleaning and chopping/slicing them. Fiddly. I have started buying the La Huerta frozen ones and they work just fine for spaghetti sauce. Last night, I heated a frozen Red Baron Pepperoni pizza. Took it out of the freezer, put the frozen mushrooms on it along with some finely sliced onion and topped it with shredded Jalapneo Pepper Jack cheese. It was fabulous...for dinner and breakfast this morning. :)

Commercial Champignon[Agaricus bisporas] 'rooms are the common white or brown[same size] that is the most common for sale here or anywhere for that matter.I tried some of the others at wally and soriana and vendors at a couple markets-not worth it,the champignon has more flavour. They don't need cleaning,ferret.and they easily slice real thin with a sharp knife no chopping involved even if you do small bits. Kids just brought us some Knorr wild mushroom soap mix to which I will add some champignons. I want to get some wild in season  like I posted in another thread.

12 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Cooking for someone else is a joyful show of love. Cooking for oneself is just a chore.

Nope, whenever I was single I treated myself very well on the cooking front.If you don't like yourself enough you won't be prone to like others much either. There are certain dishes that mi esposa doesn't like that I do for myself only still, unless my son is here,like breaded chicken hearts. I am worth the effort!

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

5 hours ago, Ferret said:

Cooking for someone else is a joyful show of love. Cooking for oneself is just a chore.

I'll second that.

4 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Nope, whenever I was single I treated myself very well on the cooking front.If you don't like yourself enough you won't be prone to like others much either.

Are you a psychologist now? Believe it or not, some people simply dislike cooking. I can think of 100 other things I'd prefer to do than cook.