Chapala.com Webboard

Local Taxis or Drivers for short LOCAL trips

Natasha

An elderly friend is being forced (severe vision issues) to give up her car before she hurts someone, or worse. KUDOS to her for this tough decision.

But she lives alone and has no way to get from San Antonio to places like bank, Walmart, Pancho's deli, and the very occasional restaurant eg. central Ajijic.   I've offered the name of a taxi driver (yellow/white paint job) who lives near me. But she'd like to hear from others as well in case he's not available. Two nights ago she attended Go Bistro, where the "uber"  was $240 pesos to take her home. She found that outrageous....as well as unaffordable...... as did I.

But since I've never used taxis or ubers here,  maybe we're both wrong?  Any help will be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

There is not legitimate "Uber" at lakeside.  Depending upon what time, nights are more expensive for taxis.  I've read here that after about 8pm taxis are not available.   Sounds like she needs a private driving with notice ahead approximately what time she will need a ride home.

16 hours ago, Natasha said:

Thanks to you and anyone else,  but another elderly neighbour who gave his car up 18 months ago has provided me with SEVEN names, all nearby, who he uses regularly.... at reasonable prices.  No need to follow.  Feliz Navidad

Can you post that information so the rest of us can use them?

10 hours ago, Joco said:

Can you post that information so the rest of us can use them?

I will, but first will wait to see how it works for the lady.... American but some Spanish...... vs. Mexican national who did the referring. Hoping there's not a 2-price system in play, but.......

• Like 1

Your friend did not use "Uber," but a private driver who can charge whatever they want. I use legit yellow/white taxis, and if possible I give at least a day's notice. I keep a list of 5-7 on my phone. If we want to attend evening activities, which are quite rare, I give sufficient notice and negotiate the price beforehand. I tip well, and am friendly and respectful. I have overheard gringos talking to drivers as if the drivers were way beneath them. Yes, I do speak Spanish, and sometimes we chat as a "language exchange" as the drive goes along. Gather up a list and try them out. She will eventually find one or two or three she likes and can use on a regular basis. Sr. German Garcia (331 340 0361), Sr. Paulino Contreras (331 406 8685), and Sr. Juan Manuel Ramos        (331 439 1407/333 456 1756)all come to immediate mind. 

• Like 1