Chapala.com Webboard

Stun Gun or Taser for home protection...legality and comments?

13 minutes ago, sunnyvmx said:

41qnDRGPbrL._AC_.jpg.4227db9d34098689e9a8e52d27c250b1.jpg

Hero 

Doesn't look threatening. This does. Only 19 left on Amazon.com. There were 20. Search paintball guns. Don't bother with the rubber balls or CO2 cartridge.  If the threat doesn't make them run...firing balls won't either. Ships to Mexico. 

I would think that this would attract some attention at customs....not attention in the good way!!!

I thought so too but it's labeled a paintball gun and supposedly not a lethal weapon. We'll see. I know from experience that my dogs will stand and fight.  Precious bites and won't let go. First time she was only 7mo old. Just ask Sal the water guy. He didn't know I had a new pup and I didn't know she was a 7lb attack dog. Second time she grabbed the plumber when I was out. He had to yell for help. She wouldn't let go. Hopefully now she will have Abby for backup and her Mom will be beside them both. When I'm in Mama Bear mode, I'm a force with no fear.  They will not stand alone.

5 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I would think that this would attract some attention at customs....not attention in the good way!!!

If you are serious, this available in Mexico weapon will easily remove someone's head, however you also require a high pressure compressor to charge it.

https://armasdeairemexico.com/rifles-precargados-pcps/13310-rifle-pcp-seneca-dragon-claw-dual-tank-500cc.html

Seneca Dragon Claw .50-Caliber Air Rifle

1 hour ago, timjwilson said:

If you are serious, this available in Mexico weapon will easily remove someone's head, however you also require a high pressure compressor to charge it.

https://armasdeairemexico.com/rifles-precargados-pcps/13310-rifle-pcp-seneca-dragon-claw-dual-tank-500cc.html

Seneca Dragon Claw .50-Caliber Air Rifle

Lets get real here...I am NOT looking to blow someone's head off...just get him (them) the hell outa my house!!! A stun gun (not a contact stun gun) seems a good option. Still have no specific referral here about one that can be legally available and effective within a 10 ft. range or so and capable of multiple discharges within a short time period. Any specific advise on this? Gracias 

I have a hunting slingshot and use steel balls as ammo. It is very accurate up to about 60ft. I can hit a normal size paper plate 4-5 times from about 40 ft. Didn't take much practice, just a few few hours and it was fun. Of course it's just a single shot, although I can reload and aim in about 5-6 seconds, and if it's just one intruder that is all you need. It has enough force to deter anyone it hits.

3 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Lets get real here...I am NOT looking to blow someone's head off...just get him (them) the hell outa my house!!! A stun gun (not a contact stun gun) seems a good option. Still have no specific referral here about one that can be legally available and effective within a 10 ft. range or so and capable of multiple discharges within a short time period. Any specific advise on this? Gracias 

No such thing.

Let's not forget where we are. If you hurt someone you will most likely go to jail while they figure it out. If or when you return home there will probably not be anything left to worry about or protect. Who you gonna call....the POLICE?

11 hours ago, elevator said:

I have a hunting slingshot and use steel balls as ammo. It is very accurate up to about 60ft. I can hit a normal size paper plate 4-5 times from about 40 ft. Didn't take much practice, just a few few hours and it was fun. Of course it's just a single shot, although I can reload and aim in about 5-6 seconds, and if it's just one intruder that is all you need. It has enough force to deter anyone it hits.

If your 1st shot doesn't kill him, why do you think he won't seek retribution while you attempt to reload??  Or that his partner(s) since they usually work in groups of 2 or 3,  won't give you a dose of your own medicine?  

Thankfully this Big Talk about David slaying Goliath and guns or quasi-guns are nothing more than Clint Eastwood wet dreams by a bunch of old tired retirees.  

Most of you will sleep through any robberies with your CPAP machine humming beside you.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

Bisbee gal you are quite the scold aren't you. First, I never said I wanted to kill anyone and second everything would depend on the situation. My house is not easy to access, so it might allow me a chance to deter from a distance. I don't have Clint Eastwood fantasies, or believe I can slay Goliath. If I can ascertain someone is around my house at night and it appears they are making an attempt to enter. I might take some action. If it appears there are several intruders then anything less than a semi-auto weapon will be of little use. I've made it to a healthy 73 by being able to analyze the physical threats I've been confronted with, there have been several, and take appropriate action. Your smug, sarcastic comments only serve to reveal your character, or lack thereof.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bmh said:

Boy did you hit the nail on the head on this one.. It is pretty sad to see the third age thinking they are 20 and willing to die defending a bunch of stuff they probably can do without. Pretty pityful.

To funny, I was just watching the comedian George Carlin on YouTube and it was about "stuff". Its hilarious. 

• Like 1

That, imho, was one of Carlin's funniest routines ever. Certainly puts things in perspective.

There are PLENTY of ways to make sure that no one can get into your house. I still laugh, to this day, when the lock failed on my front door and I had no way to get out. It involved someone having to cut through the metal with a very loud saw and took over a 1/2 an hour to do it. Hey, if I couldn't get out, how the hell is anyone going to get in?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

In the USA now if you shoot a burglar in your house, he will probably sue you and get the house.  The secret to this is "if he lives".  When I got my concealed weapon permit, I was told if you shoot someone, empty your gun.  I'm an excellent shot but many people aren't and need to follow this advice.

• Sad 2

46 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Isn't it curious how humans are the only creatures on the planet who require all this stuff? 

Food, water and shelter seem to be the only things needed by other species.

Indeed we humans no longer are knuckle draggers. So by your negativity  about accumulation of STOUGH, which practice you no doubt happily participate in, is it your wish to revert to that era. By the way, packrats accumulate human STOUGH especially if it's shiny. I wonder what other species indulge in getting stoughed-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

This board is hilarious. I said I "might" try to discourage someone from a distance from entering my property, but am not going to perish fighting several thugs. There is no gray area apparently on this board, just surrender or die.

By the way, crows, pack rats and several other species hoard stuff as well. So we are not the only ones.

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

Indeed we humans no longer are knuckle draggers. So by your negativity  about accumulation of STOUGH, which practice you no doubt happily participate in, is it your wish to revert to that era.

I didn't express negativity, I simply made an observation. 

As for my own accumulation of "stuff", of course I have stuff, just as everyone does. But I am somewhat of a minimalist, and try not to accumulate unnecessary things and get rid of things I don't really need or use. My female friends, when seeing my small closet and relatively few items of clothing (which still seem like a lot to me) would ask, "Where are the rest of your clothes?" I've never been one to have an overstuffed closet full of things I might possibly wear once every two years.

At my age, I have these visions  of my daughters having to deal with all my "stuff" after I pass away, and going, "OMG, can you believe Mom kept this? It was a piece of s**t 40 years ago and and an even bigger piece of s**t now."

Friends have told me they've had similar thoughts.

• Like 1

This a practical option for yourself and your neighbors. Buy a wholesale box of emergency air horns. They are very, very 130 decibel loud. You should use ear protection with them. Print out label, One Toot means where are you? Two Toots mean come here? Three Toots means emergency, get help. Glue it to the bottle. You could also include telephone numbers if you want. Give the horns away to your neighbors. The horns have a locking toggle, which will keep the blasting for at least one half hour. If you sense danger, blow the horn three times and throw the horn where the danger and your neighbors can hear it but hard to access. Roof? Figure it out. The nice thing about the three toots that is not likely to be tried by your curious but bratty six year old nephew.

This system is used on construction sites and movie sets all over the U.S. and Canada. In Vancouver, the sometimes militant bicyclists were upset by drivers using the bike lanes. Apparently, they were almost always pickup drivers. So the militants sent sound grenades in their pickup beds. The drivers had to find a safe place to pull over, only to find the trigger had been crazy glued to be open.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

This a practical option for yourself and your neighbors. Buy a wholesale box of emergency air horns.

I was going to suggest an air horn, too. I would imagine it would send an intruder running, regardless of whether it alerted a friend or neighbor to send for help. 

And it isn't some weapon an intruder can grab and use against you. That happens in many cases- the victim is assaulted with their own weapon.

On 12/18/2021 at 7:40 PM, gringohombre said:

Don't let them get into your house. Beef up your security. Simple solution.