Chapala.com Webboard

Traffic

RickS

Worse than ever thanks to that traffic light disaster area in front of Walmart plus just total overload combined with all the lights in Ajijic.  Our friends' daughter goes to school out by the west side (used to be Pemex) and taking her to school from Riberas and picking up has turned into 40 minutes or more.  Used to take 15.

It is not the expats IMO, fact is Mexicans in Jalisco continue to acquire cars at a very high rate.  I saw something not long ago that indicated the number of cars in the state has gone up in some multiples over the population.  True locally I think as well.

Add on top of that the local traffic "engineers" are still applying 50 year old technology and you have the recipe for the perfect parking lot.

We go out and do things early in the morning and never go out from Friday to Sunday if can be avoided.

Of course you living in Colorado are no stranger to traffic jams, I'll wager.  Same high level of growth issues there.

5 hours ago, gringal said:

We had a meal at Gosha's recently and since they are largely open to the street, I observed a much greater number of heavy duty trucks passing.  This must be due to the many construction projects on the West side.  I don't things will get better any time soon.😉

Restaurants on the Carretera are hard to enjoy these days because the traffic noise from trucks has gotten so bad.  

Moved to Ajijic 21 years ago. There was a group of us which hung together. We seemed to start at Tom's bar behind the church. (that was the name) Vicki now passed and many others We would roam to wherever there was a band playing. Still a Burro now and then in the street. Regino on his horse which would wait patiently on the street till Regino would ride home drunk. What a hoot we had. Then came change which happens everywhere. 😪

• Like 2

It happens everywhere that gets "discovered". It's one of the reasons that we left San Miguel de Allende. However, people who don't know the way it "used" to be will still fall in love with San Miguel or San Pancho or this area. I remember when Ajijic was so boring that I thought we'd roll over and die and was why I chose San Miguel in 1996.