Chapala.com Webboard

Treasury checks

Ask a trusted friend with a US bank account to deposit your check in his bank account (mobile app).  Then he can transfer the funds to you.  He may have to add you to his account, depends on the requirements of his bank.  He can remove your name from the account after the one-time transfer is been made.

If you do not have a trusted friend,.... SOL.

They can be deposited, not cashed, you must have a Mexican bank account. and may have a wait a while while the check clears, before bank credits your account. some local  banks require you to have an equal amount on deposit in your account before accepting check.

I had a friend in the same situation, without a Mexican bank account,  they opened a Mexican bank account and deposited the check, and  respectfully kept the bank account open with a amount above minimum balance.

Talk with the bank manager. they can usually get it done.

or mail the check to your USA bank for deposit.  US bank will not accept a second party check. it must be your account

When we first came to Ajijic in 2008, the exchange rate for the US/MXP was 10. It is now 21. If one had a peso denominated bank account, the principal would have been cut in half. You would have had to have lots of interest to compensate for the loss of principal. People would be strongly advised to retain a US bank or brokerage account and never tell them you reside in Mexico. 

27 minutes ago, tomgates said:

People would be strongly advised to retain a US bank or brokerage account and never tell them you reside in Mexico. 

We have accounts at USAA, my Credit Union, and a brokerage account. All know we reside in Mexico, no problem. Our only NOB address is our mail drop in Laredo.

• Like 1

I, personally, do not want to expect a friend or relative to be responsible for my mail, so all my contacts are aware of my Mexican residence.  I have a credit union account in the U.S. (which uses my Mexican address) and a Mexican bank account where my SS is deposited.  I've never had any trouble with this arrangement and it's been going on for years.

On 12/8/2021 at 4:33 PM, Brucelee1731 said:

Where can i cash a check from the US Treasury without having a bank account here in mexico

You can cash it in Guadalajara at a money exchanger called Perla De Occidente. They are located on Manuael Lopez Cotilla # 211. When I did a google map, I noted their phone numbers which are 33 36 58 35 64 and 33 36 13 81 84. If you do a google map, you will see that they even have picture of US Treasury checks. I took a friend a couple of months ago. You will need your passport, SS card and proof of address and probably your visa. Also, they are located just around the block from a huge parking garage.