Chapala.com Webboard

CHANGE DOLLARS TO PESOS

gringal

4 hours ago, Jubilacion said:

However, if someone had wanted cash at an ATM they would likely have ATM and VAT fees to deal with (and be limited in the amount they could withdraw) which of course would lower the NET Visa exchange rate further below the 21.5462 quoted. Don’t you think?

I know there are some cards and banks that waive those fees (we use Charles Schwab in the States who credit back those fees) but from comments on this and other boards many seem to have no real solution for these charges.

I agree that ANY currency exchange should reflect the NET.  Truth in advertising along the lines of APR interest rates.  Especially true on exchange rates since bank cards and transfer services charge different fees (or none at all).  You "got" 21.789 but you paid $25 bucks to get that--what if another service gave someone the same rate, but charged 10 bucks, or 30 bucks??  To me, the NET amount you got including non-refundable fees should be reflected in how you express the exchange rate.  Your 21.789 sounded pretty darn good, until it turned out to be 21.58 NET.  

I always adjust my Schwab transactions, since they refund ALL ATM fees EVERYWHERE...we have used from Spain to Guatemala to Portugal, never a fee that hasn't been refunded.  And of course we use Schwab here in Ajijic at ANY ATM we want.  Schwab is the SOLUTION to these charges....never heard anyone here complain about Schwab.  Why do you only use Schwab in the US?

4 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

I always adjust my Schwab transactions, since they refund ALL ATM fees EVERYWHERE...we have used from Spain to Guatemala to Portugal, never a fee that hasn't been refunded.  And of course we use Schwab here in Ajijic at ANY ATM we want.  Schwab is the SOLUTION to these charges....never heard anyone here complain about Schwab.  Why do you only use Schwab in the US?

Poor english on my part... we also use our Schwab debit card all over Mexico and internationally...love it . I should have written that we use Charles Schwab, a US bank and financial institution in the US.... would have made more sence.