Chapala.com Webboard

How Renew CDMX Tarjeta de Circulación

gyma

Several years ago, when I was still a newbie, I bought a used car with CDMX plates. I just found out the tarjeta needs to be renewed every 3 years so my card expired last year. 

If you have CDMX plates, how do you renew the tarjeta de circulación? I've been able to renew my plates online, but I don't think you can do that with the tarjeta if you don't live in CDMX.

Help! Thanks....

10 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

If you live in Jalisco, it's time to get Jalisco plates.

You may be right. When I bought the car, I was told it was legal to keep the plates that came with the car. I'm now being quoted $10,000 to switch to Jalisco plates. Does that sound reasonable?

1 minute ago, gyma said:

The person I bought the car from. He sells expats a lot of cars.

That doesn't make him an expert on how much it will cost to change plates over. It seems he also told you it was legal to keep the plates on the car, which it really isn't. Your vehicle is supposed to be registered in the state where you reside.

Why not go to the transit office and get a factual quote, instead of speculation?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gyma said:

The quote was for him to do it. My understanding (from S&S Auto) is that you have to take the car to GDL, be there at 6am and plan on spending all day there. I would also have to hire a Spanish speaker to go with me. 

Yes.... sadly it's all too true. We paid $13,500 with all costs specifically laid out on the annual registration page (like you pay each year at refrendo time) for the same procedure  in Jan 2020. It appears the bulk of the cost is tied to the state's evaluation of current value of the vehicle. And no, that does not include fee to the highly recommend you do it this way  very experienced guy who does this for a living. (car bought from Rafa in Riberas)

35 minutes ago, gyma said:

Natasha,

Do you have a source for your information? I tried googling it but didn't find a reliable source.

I'm curious if the guy who helped me buy the car isn't being truthful with me. Thanks!

What I have  includes the original factura (one owner car --Quinatan Roo) when the car was purchased,  another document from Secretaria in QR with history of all payments made (annual fees etc., ), copy of report being notarized in QR, the previous owner's IFE front and back, and     phrase required on back of original factura that she had signed, leaving space above for our names to be inserted, plus the 3 plastic cards you carry in your wallet after paying annual fees.  That whole mitt-ful went with the car to the depot ( I believe it was the main one in Guad at the glorieta on Alcalde Norte), along with a bunch of ID re: us plus originals of our IFE cards, and from there they continued with all Jalisco stuff required.... but the document we received with the new plates, tho' it looks like the "usual" ones, was issued by "Planeación, Adminstración, y Finanzas".... same kind of department as QR that issued all the stuff they issued.

That one details / charges EIGHT different things, and the total came to just over 13,500 pesos. Last year when we paid usual fees, similar document but says Secretaria de la Hacienda Pública..... and of course not nearly such a list.

I suggest you send me a pm with your contact, OR go to Moyoyo Car Wash in Riberas (Rafael and wife own/run it) and ask either of them, as they have done this process many times and can affirm what I'm saying.  You might also take whatever documents from the original owner that you have, to be sure you have enough!!

37 minutes ago, Natasha said:

What I have  includes the original factura (one owner car --Quinatan Roo) when the car was purchased,  another document from Secretaria in QR with history of all payments made (annual fees etc., ), copy of report being notarized in QR, the previous owner's IFE front and back, and     phrase required on back of original factura that she had signed, leaving space above for our names to be inserted, plus the 3 plastic cards you carry in your wallet after paying annual fees.  That whole mitt-ful went with the car to the depot ( I believe it was the main one in Guad at the glorieta on Alcalde Norte), along with a bunch of ID re: us plus originals of our IFE cards, and from there they continued with all Jalisco stuff required.... but the document we received with the new plates, tho' it looks like the "usual" ones, was issued by "Planeación, Adminstración, y Finanzas".... same kind of department as QR that issued all the stuff they issued.

That one details / charges EIGHT different things, and the total came to just over 13,500 pesos. Last year when we paid usual fees, similar document but says Secretaria de la Hacienda Pública..... and of course not nearly such a list.

I suggest you send me a pm with your contact, OR go to Moyoyo Car Wash in Riberas (Rafael and wife own/run it) and ask either of them, as they have done this process many times and can affirm what I'm saying.  You might also take whatever documents from the original owner that you have, to be sure you have enough!!

Actually, what I'm trying to determine is what law dictates you must change license plates to match the state where you live. I had asked the guy about it and he reassured me Mexico isn't like the US where you have to change plates when you move to another state. He's lived in the states, so he understands how it's done there, but claims that's not how Mexico works.

The process you went through sounds awful!

Please do yourself a huge favour and ask Rafael. We were told MANY years ago (here) that you have to change plates within ??? months but that's a very long time ago so........ And I don't know how the people who drive out-of-state cars here manage to pay their annual fees and get current "tarjeta de circulación" and annual windshield sticker. Maybe one of them can tell you?

I'm sure it would be on the  government web site somewhere  (state or fed??) but not sure what site to try, and google only comes up with answers NOT relative to this question.   OR..... go into an insurance office (eg. Bellon) and ask them. OR go to the recaudadora office in Chapala... surely they can answer that much?                                                                                         

Actually, what I'm trying to determine is what law dictates you must change license plates to match the state where you live.

GYMA   just ploughed my way thru many pages of Jalisco state law re: all things vehicular, and while I did see reference to current hologram (windshield) matching the state I didn't really find the number of days or the actual requirement to change, tho' strangely enough i DID find where they can fine you $2,888 pesos and haul the car off to an impound yard until resolved (at your expense, of course)...................... 

But my old-lady-so-don't-trust-it memory THINKS it remembers it being 30 days.  Mostly Lost care to weigh in?

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

, it is MUCH easier to change plates in Nayarit than it is in Jalisco. 

The office in Mezcales is really easy to deal with, but when I bought a used vehicle that had Chihuahua plates on it, I had to go to Tepic to first get a piece of paper (which of course took all day) to present in Mezcales. (actually that office was in San Vicente). 

13 hours ago, Natasha said:

Actually, what I'm trying to determine is what law dictates you must change license plates to match the state where you live.

GYMA   just ploughed my way thru many pages of Jalisco state law re: all things vehicular, and while I did see reference to current hologram (windshield) matching the state I didn't really find the number of days or the actual requirement to change, tho' strangely enough i DID find where they can fine you $2,888 pesos and haul the car off to an impound yard until resolved (at your expense, of course)...................... 

But my old-lady-so-don't-trust-it memory THINKS it remembers it being 30 days.  Mostly Lost care to weigh in?

I have only nationalized and plated in Jalisco, and not changed from other Mexican states.

According to my wife, who retired from the licensing/registration division of the state of Jalisco 5 years ago, she says as long as the car has a current registration from another state there was no regulation with a time frame to require the change to Jalisco registration. The key is having a current valid  tarjeta de circulación for that state in your name.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

I have only nationalized and plated in Jalisco, and not changed from other Mexican states.

According to my wife, who retired from the licensing/registration division of the state of Jalisco 5 years ago, she says as long as the car has a current registration from another state there was no regulation with a time frame to require the change to Jalisco registration. The key is having a current valid  tarjeta de circulación for that state in your name.

Thank you so much. I have a current tarjeta de circulación so for now I will not worry.

1 hour ago, gyma said:

Thank you so much. I have a current tarjeta de circulación so for now I will not worry.

ML's wife is probably correct as far as that goes ...... but  in the middle of the night I remembered another picky detail. 

We've  bought and sold 3 used  vehicles  prior to the car referred to in my answers... all Jalisco plated. But it was drilled into us that in the event of anything illegal, criminal, or an accident causing harm, the registered owner of the PLATES is the person it falls back on. For this reason, transfer done on the back of the title or not, person you buy the car from is holding the bag until the car is registered in new  owner's name...... and I think that can only happen at the recaudadora. We were, in fact, told the safest thing in the event of not knowing the buyer was to go WITH them to be sure they completed the process!

So again I stress.... save yourself and the previous guy a lot of heartache in check it out in the Chapala location.