Chapala.com Webboard

How Renew CDMX Tarjeta de Circulación

gyma

But, you will not be able to renew, without a residence in the car's state of registry, and may find yourself with an unregistered car until you attend to all the details. This is the reason that most folks avoid buying a car from another state. It can get complicated, and complications can get expensive.

2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

But, you will not be able to renew, without a residence in the car's state of registry, and may find yourself with an unregistered car until you attend to all the details. This is the reason that most folks avoid buying a car from another state. It can get complicated, and complications can get expensive.

I renewed online and had no problem at all doing it. I do the same with my plates.

6 hours ago, Natasha said:

ML's wife is probably correct as far as that goes ...... but  in the middle of the night I remembered another picky detail. 

We've  bought and sold 3 used  vehicles  prior to the car referred to in my answers... all Jalisco plated. But it was drilled into us that in the event of anything illegal, criminal, or an accident causing harm, the registered owner of the PLATES is the person it falls back on. For this reason, transfer done on the back of the title or not, person you buy the car from is holding the bag until the car is registered in new  owner's name...... and I think that can only happen at the recaudadora. We were, in fact, told the safest thing in the event of not knowing the buyer was to go WITH them to be sure they completed the process!

So again I stress.... save yourself and the previous guy a lot of heartache in check it out in the Chapala location.

Believe it or not, I had an accident just a few months after buying this car. A motorcycle it me as I was making a right turn and he was trying to pass me on the right. I had no problem with the insurance paying, etc. The tarjeta and plates are in my name, so I believe the transfer was done legally. It's an older car, a 2009 Honda Fit, so I will likely keep it until it's junk. I paid the guy who helped me buy the car and he did all the work to transfer the title. It wasn't purchased from an individual but from a dealer in Guadalajara. 

I think I'm good as for as protecting myself legally, but thanks for your help in explaining the process.