Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican airlines rated among the worst

Mainecoons

No surprise to me here:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/mexican-airlines-rated-worlds-worst/

Three Mexican airlines were rated as among the worst international carriers operating in the United States in an analysis by travel website usebounce.com. 

The analysis of 71 airlines placed VivaAerobus second from the bottom with a score of 3.6 out of 10. Its in-flight entertainment, meals and seat comfort were all rated one out of five, and its staff service was awarded two out of five. 

Volaris was third from the bottom in 69th place with a score of four. It gained one point for in-flight entertainment and two points for meals, seat comfort and staff service. Despite its superior ranking, Volaris received 379 complaints to VivaAerobus’ 27 from January through June. 

Both airlines were seen as unusually stingy on their maximum free baggage allowance: VivaAerobus offers 15 kilograms of free luggage, while Volaris only gives 10 kilograms. 

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately when flying in Mexico you are pretty much stuck with this bunch.  

Aside from the Asian carriers, who scored at the top of the same survey, I think pretty much all the main airlines suck pretty bad.  It used to be when going on vacation the flying was part of the fun and adventure.  Now it is just to be endured to get somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've used all the domestics here.  I pay for add-ons for whatever they offer....more carryon's, front of plane seating, early boarding, seat selection when purchasing. Some of the MEX airlines don't offer all of the aforementioned, but most offer some of them.  

I don't use MEX airlines going to US....much better service with US carriers, and yes I treat myself to biz or first class.  Life's getting too short for me to sit crammed in back of plane when most US carriers only charge around 300 USD extra round trip to sit in a tad more comfort upfront.

Have used domestic no-frills carriers in EU and they have same issues as domestic MEX flights.  I don't use US no-frills carriers like Spirit...again, why torture myself at this age.

My experiences with Volaris appear to not be the norm.  I've flown them non-stop from Denver to Guadalajara probably 15 times over the last 5-10 years. They are the only carrier that has a non-stop flight for me on that route. Never once cancelled. Never once late. Never once had any issues.... except of course trying to use their terrible website, which does seem to be getting better. I do pay the extra for carry-on and seats but they still come up cheaper than the other US 1-stop carriers. 

I'll be using them again domestically in January.... something that I have not done.... flying GDL to Oaxaca and then to Cancun. We'll see how THAT goes. 

YMMV

On 11/30/2021 at 10:46 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

I've used all the domestics here.  I pay for add-ons for whatever they offer....more carryon's, front of plane seating, early boarding, seat selection when purchasing. Some of the MEX airlines don't offer all of the aforementioned, but most offer some of them.  

I don't use MEX airlines going to US....much better service with US carriers, and yes I treat myself to biz or first class.  Life's getting too short for me to sit crammed in back of plane when most US carriers only charge around 300 USD extra round trip to sit in a tad more comfort upfront.

Have used domestic no-frills carriers in EU and they have same issues as domestic MEX flights.  I don't use US no-frills carriers like Spirit...again, why torture myself at this age.

I have a friend who uses Spirit with great satisfaction between Charlotte and Miami (FLL) The basic fairs can be incredibly cheap and then she upgrades to comfort seat plus  check bag. Her last deal was Basic $18.89,Seat $55,Bag $25. A direct 2 hour flight for a $100 bucks, hard to beat that deal. The elephants in the Room for all travel, the TEA security checking. All vary and mostly chaotic, I wish our elected Congress would be forced to travel this way

31 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I have a friend who uses Spirit with great satisfaction between Charlotte and Miami (FLL) The basic fairs can be incredibly cheap and then she upgrades to comfort seat plus  check bag. Her last deal was Basic $18.89,Seat $55,Bag $25. A direct 2 hour flight for a $100 bucks, hard to beat that deal. The elephants in the Room for all travel, the TEA security checking. All vary and mostly chaotic, I wish our elected Congress would be forced to travel this way

Get Global Entry...guarantees TSA pre-check and oh-so-fast thru immigration when arriving in US.  

4 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Yes Gobel Entry is an option..But why not fix the TSA problem instead of yet another layer of burocrcy

On a few occasions where I've "won"  the random special enhanced security lotto and had to go through the non-pre-check TSA line, the biggest problem with the line are the passengers.  Clueless as to the rules, which are posted prominently....can't read, won't read.  Not prepared to remove shoes, keys and coins still in pocket after 3rd try through the security apparatus.  Bunch of bozos.  I feel sorry for the TSA agents.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

On a few occasions where I've "won"  the random special enhanced security lotto and had to go through the non-pre-check TSA line, the biggest problem with the line are the passengers.  Clueless as to the rules, which are posted prominently....can't read, won't read.  Not prepared to remove shoes, keys and coins still in pocket after 3rd try through the security apparatus.  Bunch of bozos.  I feel sorry for the TSA agents.  

Yes there are some " Bozos" in Every group ( this membership included ) BUT each airport seems to have a slightly different layout for putting your stuff in the plastic bin, some systems  work better

I fly volaris or Vivaaerobus on a very regular basis like everyother month domestically and have zero problems with them. I fly without luggage  so I fly the cheapest flight and will continue to do so . Their price is lower than other airlines and I get where I want to go most of the time in time. Never had a flight cancel on them.

I fly AeroMexico, Air France and KLM to Europe and have had more problems with KLM and Delta than with the other 2.

27 minutes ago, KevinR said:

If an airline charges for a carryon bag it should be rated among the worst!....

It's the total fare that I look at. Recently could have flown Volaris GDL to Oaxaca for $11 if no carry-on or seat assignment. But with those it was still only $65!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My last Volaris experience for a round trip to Texas through Mexico city:

Sat on the tarmac for about an hour due to fog...when we finally got airborn and were close to DF I asked one of the flight attendants about missing my connection...she replied oh not to worry, they will delay your connecting flight as well. Also when we land they will make an announcement that will allow me to get up to the front of the plane before the other passengers. Announcement never came...surprise.  Walked to the nearest flight announcement board and couldn't see my connecting flight to Texas..surprise. Walked half a mile to the Volaris ticket booth and waited behind a lady who also missed the connecting flight and she said  that they told her that they found a different flight to get to San Antonio....never happened. When I finally get to the counter they tell me that the only way to get to San Antonio was the following day ( not an option for me because I was scheduled to return the same day and didn't arrange for pet sitting ), and because the delay was due to fog they would not pay for anything. I asked to buy a return ticket to Guadalajara and they didn't have any returning flights for the rest of the day. Now I get on the internet looking for a return flight and Aeromexico has one in the afternoon. I ask where Aeromexico ticket counter is and they say to go outside and take a bus. So I walk outside and ask where to catch the bus but was told that I could take the trolly upstairs. I walk upstairs but was stopped from boarding the trolly to the next terminal area because I didn't already have my boarding pass....walk back down to the street for the bus and I asked how much is the bus because I only had 20 pesos in change ( rest of money was large bills ) . Official person told me the bus was 20 pesos....Got on the bus and was informed the rate was 30 pesos...but have a seat anyway. We get to the terminal and the lady with a badge walked me to a place where I could pay the 30 pesos in a machine using a credit card, but all I had was a debit card and it wouldn't accept it. I offered my 20 pesos but she just walked away..

Walked up the the large Aeromexico ticket area....waited in line but when I got to the counter I was told that I needed to go to a small ticket buying office instead. Got there and bought my ticket and was told to check in at the large area where the machine asked me what seat I wanted...no option for a free seat, have to pay for a seat.

Flight back was smooth and comfortable, but what a day.  

1 hour ago, ea93105 said:

My last Volaris experience for a round trip to Texas through Mexico city:

Sat on the tarmac for about an hour due to fog...when we finally got airborn and were close to DF I asked one of the flight attendants about missing my connection...she replied oh not to worry, they will delay your connecting flight as well. Also when we land they will make an announcement that will allow me to get up to the front of the plane before the other passengers. Announcement never came...surprise.  Walked to the nearest flight announcement board and couldn't see my connecting flight to Texas..surprise. Walked half a mile to the Volaris ticket booth and waited behind a lady who also missed the connecting flight and she said  that they told her that they found a different flight to get to San Antonio....never happened. When I finally get to the counter they tell me that the only way to get to San Antonio was the following day ( not an option for me because I was scheduled to return the same day and didn't arrange for pet sitting ), and because the delay was due to fog they would not pay for anything. I asked to buy a return ticket to Guadalajara and they didn't have any returning flights for the rest of the day. Now I get on the internet looking for a return flight and Aeromexico has one in the afternoon. I ask where Aeromexico ticket counter is and they say to go outside and take a bus. So I walk outside and ask where to catch the bus but was told that I could take the trolly upstairs. I walk upstairs but was stopped from boarding the trolly to the next terminal area because I didn't already have my boarding pass....walk back down to the street for the bus and I asked how much is the bus because I only had 20 pesos in change ( rest of money was large bills ) . Official person told me the bus was 20 pesos....Got on the bus and was informed the rate was 30 pesos...but have a seat anyway. We get to the terminal and the lady with a badge walked me to a place where I could pay the 30 pesos in a machine using a credit card, but all I had was a debit card and it wouldn't accept it. I offered my 20 pesos but she just walked away..

Walked up the the large Aeromexico ticket area....waited in line but when I got to the counter I was told that I needed to go to a small ticket buying office instead. Got there and bought my ticket and was told to check in at the large area where the machine asked me what seat I wanted...no option for a free seat, have to pay for a seat.

Flight back was smooth and comfortable, but what a day.  

Weather delays happen to every airline. Weather causes missed connections in many cities depending on the number of seats that are "connection" seats as opposed to "direct " seats. An airline with 200 seats and only 4 or 5 are from a delayed connecting flight will not wait. That flight needs to land on time if possible or there will be a lot more passengers affected. 

• 3 weeks later...