Chapala.com Webboard

Anti-Dengue, etc. Campaign in Chapala

Bisbee Gal

From the FB page of Chapala Gobierno.  Not sure if it includes spraying. 

Gobierno de Chapala
012itt1g625h4si97ahcd  · 
CAMPAÑA DE DESCACHARRIZACIÓN
🪣🛢️
Para evitar la propagación y contagio del dengue, zika y chinkungunya. 🚫🦟
¡Estaremos recorriendo diferentes puntos de nuestro municipio!
🚫🦟🚫🦟🚫🦟
#ElTrabajoTodoLoAlcanza
DISCOVERY CAMPAIGN
🪣🛢️
To prevent the spread and infection of dengue, zika and chinkungunya. 🚫 🦟
We will be touring different points of our municipality!
🚫🦟🚫🦟🚫🦟
#ElTrabajoTodoLoAlcanza

spray.jpg

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, WideSky said:

Yes, "The city of Chapala will be spraying to prevent dengue and other mosquito-born diseases this week. Be sure to close your windows and remove all pets from your front yard. See schedule"

Where did you get that quote...was it from the Chapala gobierno??  It sounds more like 'gringo' advice re: closing windows.  If you pay attention you will see that locals OPEN their windows when the spray trucks go by.  You can see MXN advice here from another MXN government spraying campaign.  

https://www.tamaulipas.gob.mx/en/salud/2021/08/conmemora-tamaulipas-dia-internacional-contra-el-dengue-con-acciones-de-prevencion/

"He asked to let the health personnel (brigadistas), duly accredited, enter the homes since they are trained to guide, apply abate in containers used to store water and eliminate the breeding sites of the Aedes Aegypti. In the same way, open doors and windows when the spray trucks pass by."

• Like 1

This makes no sense to me.  Why, when we are entering our coldest period and seven months of drought would Chapala now begin a spraying  program for mosquitoes throughout the municipality?  The money would be better spent, and more effective in June.    However, if they want to come and spray my gardens for grasshoppers they are more than welcome.

6 minutes ago, Floradude said:

This makes no sense to me.  Why, when we are entering our coldest period and seven months of drought would Chapala now begin a spraying  program for mosquitoes throughout the municipality?  The money would be better spent, and more effective in June.    However, if they want to come and spray my gardens for grasshoppers they are more than welcome.

The warmer lowland areas have mosquitos after the rainy season and a more effective treatment is done when the heavy rains stop so the lying water can be treated then and not needed again after another heavy rain or two.

The program is Federal government funded, state government administrated, municipal government advertized and coordinated and doesn't cost the local government a penny. Your IVA and SAT taxes pay for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 11/29/2021 at 9:30 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

If you pay attention you will see that locals OPEN their windows when the spray trucks go by.  You can see MXN advice here from another MXN government spraying campaign.  

And remember Kiko's posting from earlier this year too:      ticks.png.a4096677efe0d1c4573a7387b80e589d.png

• Haha 1

Yes, it does seem strange that they would be spraying for dengue almost in December.  But I have had it twice, last year I got it on Oct. 24 and a neighbor said he caught it in January.  Bottom line, the nights are not cooling down the way they used to so the mosquitos live on, although I haven't seen any.  I was never even aware of getting bitten!   My one doctor says the temps have to go below 50F before they die out, and that rarely happens around here anymore.  I like the colder weather - fewer bugs, you can close the windows against all the noise, I can wear my cute warm clothes...  

Here is how you know you have dengue -  a very fast onset - you wake up feeling fine and by the afternoon you are quite sick with high fever, maybe vomiting, headaches, body aches, extreme fatigue that lasts for weeks.  It takes about 2-3 months to fully recover.  Another way is that a simple blood test will show your platelet count.  If it is abnormally low (along with the other symptoms), you have dengue.  My doctor had me do a blood test every other day for 2 weeks, if the level goes low enough you have to go to the hospital.  The low platelet count can lead to internal bleeding which can kill you.  

There is no known cure for dengue but there are some local remedies.  One is tea from papaya leaves and the  other is tea from micle which the locals know about.  It's just a scrubby tree or bush but it makes a very pretty purple tea.  Neither one tastes good.  Cuidense mucho!

24 minutes ago, ezpz said:

Here is how you know you have dengue -  a very fast onset - you wake up feeling fine and by the afternoon you are quite sick with high fever, maybe vomiting, headaches, body aches, extreme fatigue that lasts for weeks.  It takes about 2-3 months to fully recover. 

No, sorry, that is not how you know you have dengue. Symptoms manifest differently in different people, like most diseases. I had no fever at all. I had chills. I was never nauseous. I had a dull throbbing headache behind my eyes and it felt like every bone in my body was broken. Really hard to get comfortable or sleep. 

I was sick for one week and felt fine after that- it didn't take me any time at all to recover, and I didn't feel fatigued for weeks. 

Scientific American published an article in 2017 entitled, 'Scientists Solve a Dengue Mystery: Why Second Infection Is Worse Than First'

It concludes, in part, that "...findings also underscore the need to use dengue vaccines carefully. A study ...suggested that the vaccine should be targeted to children who have already had at least one bout of dengue...."

See: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/scientists-solve-a-dengue-mystery-why-second-infection-is-worse-than-first/

See also: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/askst-dengue-reinfection-dangerous-when-it-is-from-a-different-serotype