Chapala.com Webboard

solar hot water tank repair

soundman

Hello, looking for a recommendation.

The end cap of my solar hot water tank is leaking at the bottom and I need someone to repair it if that is possible.

It's stainless steel so I'm not sure it can be welded.

It is a Solaris Eco System 14 tube model.

I'm trying to avoid driving into Guad to talk to the people where I bought it unless I have to.

Thanks

There is a welding shop at the east entrance to El Chante on the North side of the carretera who welded a stainless steel pipe nipple to the stainless steel tank of my sauna vaporizer.   Spanish only.  I suspect you have a S/S jacket, then foam insulation, then an inner tank.  The leak orgin will be located on the inner tank, the outer jacket is not the leak source.  It could get messy.  But I am no solar tank expert, just seems like common sense.

Thanks for the names of the solar companies, I will find the phone numbers and try them.

Kiko, I suspect you are right . A new inner tank is probably in order.

I always thought the first place for leaks would be where the tubes are inserted into the tank but those have been perfect.

Thanks for the advice.

19 hours ago, virgo lady said:

I recommend Go Solar for all solar systems, and the STI solar hot water systems work great and come with a 5 year warranty and they provide delivery, setup, and quality service.       

Sounds like you've had this done recently. Would you mind sharing the cost (give or take) of a hot water setup? We have solar already, so I'd like to get us completely off gas since we make more electric than we use. I'm assuming that this is a separate system and wouldn't tap into our current panels. TIA!

11 hours ago, soundman said:

A new inner tank is probably in order.

Generally a tank issue means a new complete tank, the inner ones really can't be replaced, however the support frame and vacuum tubes can be used with a new tank of the same specs.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, virgo lady said:

I recommend Go Solar for all solar systems, and the STI solar hot water systems work great and come with a 5 year warranty and they provide delivery, setup, and quality service.       

I second this recommendation. Go Solar has been great with follow up service on the solar water heater I purchased, even helping me solve a problem which was my mistake.

• Thanks 2