Chapala.com Webboard

RIP Mike Riley/Computer Guy

ChrisR

"Michael David Riley 
August 17, 1952 - November 8, 2021

With profound sadness, the family announces the passing of Michael Riley, at the age of 69 years. Cherished father of Erica Riley and predeceased by his son Matthew Riley. 

He is also survived by his longtime  partner Cecilia Walters and her son, Nyah Walters, and his brothers Chris Riley and Steve Riley. 

Mike passed away suddenly at his lakeside home in Riberas/Chapala, Mexico early morning on November 8th from a heart attack. 

He will be greatly missed by his family and friends, his clients, as well as his two cats, Patches and Spunky. 

Mike moved to Ajijic in 2003 with his mother Shirley, and soon after became known to the community as “Mike the Computer Guy”. A longtime technical expert, Mike helped many expats, locals, and gringos alike with their technological needs as well as editing books by local authors and designing book covers. He was passionate about music, movies, and books of all kinds, and would make people laugh with his witty banter. Mike was the funniest guy in the room and could always bring a smile to your face. 

In lieu of flowers, a donation to the Ottawa Heart Institute or a charity of your choice would be appreciated by the family."

My family will be posting this in our local newspaper in Ottawa, Canada.

Chris Riley

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thankyou, Chris, for putting this up on THIS board. I know it was on the other one, but many (like me) don't go to both. That said, I hesitated to post here  as was not really my place...... but am glad for this chance to express my extreme shock at the loss of one so young, and my most heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

Mike was a wonderful guy and a very competent computer tech.........     for both me and my husband for several years. In fact he built my most recent tower (yes, I'm a desktop devotee) , and did his best over and over to drag me kicking and screaming into the 21st century, and from  WIn 95 to Win 7 and finally to Win 10....... which he "altered" just for me so I could pretend it was still the one I had finally learned to use.

I'll miss him greatly, not just for his services, but because I truly liked him. And of course, because he was Canadian, and he loved cats!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bournemouth said:

We also saw Mike as a friend and also our go to tech guy for many years.  He will be greatly missed.  Great sympathy to  his family.  Chris - perhaps there is something local that we could contribute to his his memory?

I'll look into it. Let me know if anybody here has a suggestion. Heart-related.

11 hours ago, ChrisR said:

As an alternative to the Heart Institute, it would be nice to give to a local charity on Mike's behalf. For example Mike gave to the local food bank regularly. He also adopted two cats, Patches and Spunky. Consider these.

To donate to the Lakeside Food Bank, check here:  https://foodbanklakeside.org/donate/

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ChrisR said:

I'll look into it. Let me know if anybody here has a suggestion. Heart-related.

May I suggest the Chapala Cruz Roja could be a great way to donate in Mike's memory.      They could start a heart related fund in his name.    I'll check with them and post back here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My heartfelt condolences. This is truly a tragic loss for the Riley family and Cecilia following so soon after the death of Mike's son. Thanks so much to Chris Riley for posting here. Like Natasha, I too was hesitant to post anything myself when I first heard of Mike's passing, although I did immediately reached out to Cecilia.

Lexy

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Go Solar said:

May I suggest the Chapala Cruz Roja could be a great way to donate in Mike's memory.      They could start a heart related fund in his name.    I'll check with them and post back here.

Ditto Cruz Roja. It's the first defense for both Mexicans and foreigners,indigent or not.Make it permanent in Mike Riley's name so that there can be on going donations. Donations is all they get to operate, but leave out the "only heart" related caveat. I have taken poor Mexicans there for various treatments and in the last year used them twice to take me to SAT for heart and stroke related problems in their bus. They have improved their abilities vastly since we arrived in 2006 and thanks to donations and training have a heart and stroke room and  EMT equipment in the bus for same.

pedro kertesz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Donations is all they get to operate, but leave out the "only heart" related caveat.

I have an initial reply from the Cruz Roja folks and yes, they would be most appreciative of general donations in Mike's name and memory, at least for now and until something else could be set up.    They also mention they had a donor of an ECG last month so they also now have that heart related capability.      

Just now, Go Solar said:

I have an initial reply from the Cruz Roja folks and yes, they would be most appreciative of general donations in Mike's name and memory, at least for now and until something else could be set up.    They also mention they had a donor of an ECG last month so they also now have that heart related capability.      

That's awesome Solar. Thank you. Sign me up. So, just go to their office in Chapala?

Go Solar,they have runs as fundraisers. Ask them if they will have an annual Mike Riley run where the runners acquire sponsors with a minimum of 20p to a max of 200p each. Like I  said, the only thing that keeps them in operation is donations and nothing else. They have had a heart and stroke room with the necessary equipment to temporarily triage until they can get you to a hospital for several years now. Been in that room a coupla times. Great that somebody donated another ECG which is also known as an EKG. Hope it was another portable for one of the buses. I have been out of the loop for some time and really not physically capable of getting involved again.

pedro kertesz

• Like 1

Just now, LCS Notices said:

You can also donate to Cruz Roja and others as well through

https://lakechapalacharities.org/donate/

You can use PayPal, credit cards, wire transfer, etc and for those interested you can easily receive a letter

for your IRS documents for tax free donations.

It's fast, reliable and I've used it for years.

Note, this is not LCS posting... I forgot to log out and log in again as me.

• Like 1

Info from Cruz Roja:     For local donations the information is here...if someone wanted a tax receipt for their US taxes they can donate through Foundation for Lake Chapala Charities.org and they have multiple options and will direct the donation to us.     We don't have the same option for Canadians at this time.

FOR DONATIONS REQUIRING RECIBOS DONATIVOS AND BANK TRANSFERS
Checks must be made out to :
CRUZ ROJA MEXICANA IAP
BANAMEX ACCOUNT INFO:
BANAMEX, S.A.
SUC 433
CUENTA- 5520373
CLABE INTERBANCARIA: 002 346 0433 55203734

any problems call Monica at 52 376 765 2553
or Don 376 766 4990
To receive a recibo donativo mexican (tax receipt) we must have a copy of the
donor's RFC (fiscal identification)
Legal Name as on the RFC, address, email and telephone number and if a bank
transfer a copy of the bank transfer information on the donation so that Cruz Roja
can readily track payment in their Banamex Account

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1