Chapala.com Webboard

Starlink Internet coming to Mexico

KevinR

Those are the exact numbers I came up with a couple days ago when I looked on line.... and it said delivery "early 2022". They certainly aren't giving $$ it away, even here in Mexico.

It's not that I want Elon Musk to keep his spot in the top billionaires club, but we live in Tlachichilco area (20 mins east of Chapala) and our internet sucks on a good day. I've been following the Starlink progress in the States and would be thrilled to have anything that resembles consistent strong service.

Suggestions welcome! Does anyone know how you can share this type of service with a neighbor to split the cost up --- WIFI extenders?

You will find lots of up to date info about Starlink on YouTube. It has not, as erroneously reported, come out of Beta yet. There is a sign up site and lots of people ahead of you. Your location should make your chances of good service excellent as it is not trying to compete in large clusters of people ie. Guadalajara, etc.

59 minutes ago, Jubilacion said:

Those are the exact numbers I came up with a couple days ago when I looked on line.... and it said delivery "early 2022". They certainly aren't giving $$ it away, even here in Mexico.

It's not that I want Elon Musk to keep his spot in the top billionaires club, but we live in Tlachichilco area (20 mins east of Chapala) and our internet sucks on a good day. I've been following the Starlink progress in the States and would be thrilled to have anything that resembles consistent strong service.

Suggestions welcome! Does anyone know how you can share this type of service with a neighbor to split the cost up --- WIFI extenders?

You bury a cat six cable (internet cable) from your house to the other house.  Put an access point at the other house and plug your end of the cable into the starlink box assuming it has more than one internet jack on back.  If it doesn't you have to add a hub to your house to split the signal.  Even if you don't understand my blah blah my point is its very doable and lowers monthly cost to 60 USD or so for each house.

• Like 1

After analysis, on May 28, the IFT gave the satellite internet firm authorization to operate in Mexico and a maximum of 180 calendar days to have its services ready, that is, Starlink satellite fixed Internet products should be available to Mexicans no later than October 28.

That from:

https://banderasnews.com/starlink-satellite-internet-coming-to-mexico/

I think we are beyond Oct 28

SpaceX recently introduced some updates to its official Starlink website. And while the private space company formally dropped the “Beta” wording for its satellite internet service, SpaceX also warned customers that the ongoing worldwide chip shortage is delaying orders. 

that from:

https://www.teslarati.com/starlink-exits-beta-production-chip-shortage/

In other words, don't hold your breath

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couple of things.....  180 days from May 28th is in late November, not October 28th.

In order for 'everyone' in the orbit path to be able to get a signal, that would require them to launch a ton more satellites. Since there are only 'some' launched at this point, pickings will be slim and a lot of 'sharing' will be going on.

Otherwise it will some day be a great service especially for those 'in the boonies' where land-based systems either don't or choose not to go due to the economics of installing the infrastructure. 

Thanks for sharing, RickS.  I read fast and often miss some of the information. So, I was sure that one could get great internet all over the world for about 100 US per month.

I'm sure glad that I just accidentally happen to live a few blocks from the Ajijic Telmex office and that therefore I get great speeds for $499 pesos per month. I sure would hate to have  to pay $100 US per month.

6 hours ago, lcscats said:

You bury a cat six cable (internet cable) from your house to the other house.  Put an access point at the other house and plug your end of the cable into the starlink box assuming it has more than one internet jack on back.  If it doesn't you have to add a hub to your house to split the signal.  Even if you don't understand my blah blah my point is its very doable and lowers monthly cost to 60 USD or so for each house.

Did that with the Hughes system 20 years ago - 1/4 mile run - worked fine.

• Like 1

I have been complaining to my landlady about internet access through Telmex. So she got me a modem and internet from blue Telecom. I had never heard of it. It works fine. Apparently it comes via Sky Tv 

As with everything it depends on where you are. I paid for the iLox second tier up from the bottom in March... and it still is the same speed as the bottom tier which is 30 mbps. When i bitch about it, they speed it up to 50. That lasts about two weeks and drops back down to 30. I'm done with iLox and will be switching to TotalPlay soon.

Be aware that the internet signal provided by the so-far sparsely populated fleet of Starlink satellite transponders is quite sensitive to physical features surrounding any receiver.  Lakeside, this might be the steep hills running E-W, or any tree.   But the orbital path of the existing and future satellites should be available and large feature issues like mountains that might preclude service should be recognizable in advance.   See:

https://www.theverge.com/22435030/starlink-satellite-internet-spacex-review

https://www.starlink.com/faq

IMO, the article that utilitus posted pretty much sums up the current state of affairs with Starlink. While there are probably some/many who are using it with some success it really is not ready for primetime just yet, regardless of how many birds some folks think have been launched. Great technology and a bold initiative... just not done yet. 

1 hour ago, artsnob said:

After many problems with Ilox, I switched to Totalplay, am very happy I did...great service and speed...

Talked to TotalPlay at Walmart, they'd love to help but out here east of Vista del Lago homes/golf course we're still "2-3 years from install" they told me. Wish we had more options, but the inconvenience is not going to cause us to move from the area....yet.

11 hours ago, tomgates said:

Is ILOX still viable? We had it when we last left Ajijic in June 2020. At $599 it was good for 70mb download. 

I must be the only ILOX customer that is satisfied with their service.

I have the 400mb package and when there have been outages an email to support was answered promptly explaining the problem.

Last week I had an unusual problem where my torrent port was closed for no good reason, iTunes took forever to startup and couldn't connect to the Apple store or updates and Nord VPN wouldn't connect at all. The weekend tech said everything looked good but when I emailed the details a second time on a Monday morning everything started working again within a few hours.

The phone never did work so that's still a negative which now costs a couple hundred pesos for a Telmex VOIP connection.

46 minutes ago, artsnob said:

I got my Totalplay bill yesterday, and if you pay early it is 100 pesos less.  And can be paid at Oxxo and I have two within two blocks away to pick from..Easy

Can also pay without leaving your house, via PayPal.  

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Any first-hand experience with Starlink at Lakeside yet? I'm booked for delivery sometime later in 2022.

We're pleased with TotalPlay at our little house in San Antonio, and the price and uptime so far have been great. OTOH, the dudes who installed it basically came walking down the street on foot, slinging fiber optic cable up between tree branches and such, tying it off where they could or wanted to. It's gonna get knocked out sometime, and we're much too connected to live with that.

We really have no obstructions from the mirador, but we're not in town right now so can't check whether or not the San Juan sierra might be blocking Starlink's birds.

Anybody have Starlink yet?

LQ

• Like 1