Chapala.com Webboard

How important is it to change address with DMV and Immigration ?

mexijims1

Hi:

I could not find anything readily to answer my question on this.  We have recently moved within the Ajijic  area.  How important is it to make a change of address for your driver's license at DMV and also with Immigration ( INM)?

If so, I do not see any place on the website to make an appointment at DMV for change of address, unless it is considered an " endorsement".

Any help on this information is appreciated !

Thanks

Any ehlp

It's very important to change your address with INM. It is not important to change it with the DMV. I have tried with the DMV multiple times but my husband's name is still on the ownership of the car and the Jefe there had me come back so many times with back up documents that I gave up. She was on a trip with her own importance. No big deal. You can't renew your "plates" without paying for any outstanding vehicle infractions being paid at the same time.

Your circumstances may be easier so I would do both if at all possible. And/or you can have Spencer McMullen's services do both and save you the trouble.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mexijims1 said:

Hi:

I could not find anything readily to answer my question on this.  We have recently moved within the Ajijic  area.  How important is it to make a change of address for your driver's license at DMV and also with Immigration ( INM)?

If so, I do not see any place on the website to make an appointment at DMV for change of address, unless it is considered an " endorsement".

Any help on this information is appreciated !

Thanks

https://www.gob.mx/tramites/ficha/notificacion-de-cambios-al-inm-por-parte-de-extranjeros-residentes/INM829

Go to this IMN page. You have to follow the instructions and go into your local INM office within 90 days.

It is straight forward and easy to do.

Google Translation:

"Notification of changes to the INM by temporary and permanent resident foreigners

Are you a foreign person who holds the status of temporary resident, temporary resident student or permanent resident? You must notify the National Institute of Migration (INM), the change of marital status, name, nationality, address or place of work, within the following ninety calendar days to occur."

• Like 1

Thank you.  I just read on Spencer's blog on his website that you have 90 days to make changes with INM for : employment, address or marital status changes.  I have had a Permanente for at least 5 yrs.

After being totally harassed by an employee and el jefe at DMV when renewing my driver's license last February, I have no desire to deal with them again. 

Thanks again for your advice !

39 minutes ago, Ferret said:

It's very important to change your address with INM. It is not important to change it with the DMV. I have tried with the DMV multiple times but my husband's name is still on the ownership of the car and the Jefe there had me come back so many times with back up documents that I gave up. She was on a trip with her own importance. No big deal. You can't renew your "plates" without paying for any outstanding vehicle infractions being paid at the same time.

Your circumstances may be easier so I would do both if at all possible. And/or you can have Spencer McMullen's services do both and save you the trouble.

A friend is trying to change her address with INM. It is still in process  a month later.

I had to change my blood type on my DL  it took about 3 months.

2 hours ago, cedros said:

A friend is trying to change her address with INM. It is still in process  a month later.

Not sure what "trying to" means. It's totally straightforward. When I changed my address, I went into the INM office, the agent showed me on the computer which form I needed to print out and complete, gave me a generic sample letter that needs to accompany the application, I went home, filled it all out, did the letter, and brought it back into the office.

Within a week I got an email saying it had been processed and there was nothing further for me to do.

4 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Not sure what "trying to" means. It's totally straightforward. When I changed my address, I went into the INM office, the agent showed me on the computer which form I needed to print out and complete, gave me a generic sample letter that needs to accompany the application, I went home, filled it all out, did the letter, and brought it back into the office.

Within a week I got an email saying it had been processed and there was nothing further for me to do.

Trying means she has done what they asked her to do but no results (email) yet-after a month.. She has phoned INM twice but still nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Same here.. last July..  Although you do have to make an appointment now, you can’t just walk in and sign the book as we used to do.

Its my understanding that there is a large fine if you don’t do within the time limit.

4 hours ago, cedros said:

Trying means she has done what they asked her to do but no results (email) yet-after a month.. She has phoned INM twice but still nothing.

Well, if she submitted all the correct paperwork, then there's nothing more for her to do, so I'm not sure why she's phoning them. It may just take awhile to work its way through their system. The pandemic has slowed a lot of things down. I wouldn't be worrying about it.

You don't get any official piece of paper re the change of address that you have to keep or carry with you,  just an email saying it's been processed.

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Well, if she submitted all the correct paperwork, then there's nothing more for her to do, so I'm not sure why she's phoning them. It may just take awhile to work its way through their system. The pandemic has slowed a lot of things down. I wouldn't be worrying about it.

You don't get any official piece of paper re the change of address that you have to keep or carry with you,  just an email saying it's been processed.

She should have received an email from INM weeks ago.