Chapala.com Webboard

What if you wreck your American-made car in Mexico..

SusanAZ

I did exactly that. The ins. company totaled the van and paid the damages.The ins. company then took the van to San Louis Potosi and I took a bus to Laredo to fly home. But the Mexican government wanted me to get the van out of Mexico. Of course there was no way I could do that so I couldn't bring another car back down till I cleared the van. I had a Mexican friend who intervened on my behalf and convinced the lady in Mexico City to clear it up. It took several months and I would never have fixed the problem on my own. My savior was the manager of Las Palmas Hotel. He was a saint. He really took care of me and I'll forever be grateful to him. His name is Felix Dias and if you ever stop there tell him Tom said hello.CFC60037-99F3-4DCF-8B92-C1730206CC49_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.aa1672e2d0b523d7c3863b2917afc289.jpeg

2 minutes ago, SunFan said:

You survived that accident?

SunFan

Hard to believe but I did. Me an my Chihuahua, Poco who ended up under the brake pad. I was in pain that night from bruises but the next day I was ok. It was the way I hit the light pole that saved me. An instant before the crash I turned the steering wheel hard left. It ripped out the engine it ended up a long way from where I went. I was there and it's hard for me to believe my luck. I would love to see a video of the crash. When I woke up a  bunch of Mexicans were trying to open the door to get me out. After I unlocked it and stepped out they seemed disgusted that I was ok. I'm glad no one was with me. ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEATBELT!

31CBEF09-09D0-4442-86F8-25FC49C681E8_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.6fca80b43de8aa9cb5c37d9ca0827970.jpeg

1FE8E9E1-65DA-4CE1-92E1-E0290F1C5063.thumb.jpeg.eb98c40901170b908e305a7c526e12a0.jpeg

You just indicated that the car was made in the U.S.  Do you have U.S. or MX insurance on the vehicle?  That probably will determine your answer.

We totaled our car near Monterrey a couple years ago.  Our MX insurance company sent an adjuster from Monterrey and he handled everything.  U.S. made car, MX insurance.

13 minutes ago, ibarra said:

You just indicated that the car was made in the U.S.  Do you have U.S. or MX insurance on the vehicle?  That probably will determine your answer.

We totaled our car near Monterrey a couple years ago.  Our MX insurance company sent an adjuster from Monterrey and he handled everything.  U.S. made car, MX insurance.

Is there any American auto insurance company that covers vehicles in Mexico?  

I believe Mexican insurance is required. Anyway I do have Mexican insurance with el Aguilar, as well as American with Geico. The Mex. ins. co. sent an adjuster (who speaks no English) and I'm thinking I maybe should call him to see what my status is at this point. My calls are not answered at Osuna, the body shop; and my calls to El Aguilar are a total loss as I can't seem to get anyone who speaks some English and my Spanish is totally inadequate for this type situation. I do have a bilingual friend and will have him call to get info from these people. I'm just wanting to find out if the estimate is completed and has been sent to the company. 

Thanks for your help.

Susan

Laws change and it has been a few years ago, but we had a US plated car down here for almost two years.  When we crossed the border we had bought travel car insurance online which one year policy went into effect the day we entered Mexico.  Our State Farm was cancelled on the same date and they refunded some money based on the time left on the policy.  Every time we drove the car back north, we called State Farm, bought another 6 month policy effective the day we crossed and then when we got back down here our Mexican policy for traveling in Mexico was still in effect.  We would call State Farm and cancel again and they would give us back money based on what time was left on the policy.  They didn't have a better way to manage all that and didn't seem to mind doing it for us.  Just Google Mexican border car insurance.  There are quite a few in all border states.

Alan

I have insured with Lewis and Lewis. No problems, and their paperwork looks very officia!, very governmental. After I got Mexican plates, a friend put me on as a rider on one of his vehicles as a driver, liabilty only. I think it was Qualitas.

Now, I don't drive at all. Only using known to be safe driver, taxicabs. Best insurance of all. Stay off of Mexican roads and highways unless absolutely necessary. Do your Mexican roaming when you are younger, and more likely to survive a crash. Even then, use the premium buses and taxicabs.

19 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

There is no US insurance company that has any coverage in Mexico. Still waiting for someone to prove me wrong.

That is a trick question, because the U.S. insurers for people and vehicles are brokering through Mexican insurers. Mexican insurers are governed by strict guidelines, which U. S. and international based companies don't want any part of.

11 years ago our US car was rear ended by a large truck from Galvez construction and our insurance co at the time thru Parker declared it a total loss. They gave me back my import sticker and a letter that said the insurance company took ownership of the car and holds me harmless from future liability. And gave me the declared value.

On 10/14/2021 at 9:36 AM, SusanAZ said:

… And the insurance company considers it a total. Do you have to take it back to the States?

3 minutes ago, tomgates said:

11 years ago our US car was rear ended by a large truck from Galvez construction and our insurance co at the time thru Parker declared it a total loss. They gave me back my import sticker and a letter that said the insurance company took ownership of the car and holds me harmless from future liability. And gave me the declared value.

IMO for what it's worth.... surely the crux of the matter here IS the IMPORT STICKER?  If yes, then Tom's reply should be workable........and perhaps Susan can go to her insurance company and ask?