Chapala.com Webboard

MEDICARE COVERAGE OUT OF COUNTRY AVAILABLE FOR EXPATS?

ezpz

Medicare Part B with Plan G added with Omaha Mutual will pay a lifetime maximum of $50,000 USD for emergency care when out of the country provided the care occurred within the first 60 days outside of the country.  You need a US address.  You will be asked for your US address confirmation and if you had arrived within 60 days in Mexico.  The annual deductible that must be met is $223.00 for Plan G.  There is an additional deductible for out of the country emergency medical care and that deductible per occurrence is $250.00.  You are not reimbursed for prescriptions or taxes.  My recent emergency claim total was about $3000 USD and Omaha paid $2200.  I do not know about Part C.  Best of luck to you.

Yes, Kiko, your Original Medicare WITH a Plan G gap policy will cover you but that is a much more expensive route to go. And Cora was asking about Medicare Advantage (Plan C) coverage.

Cora while I have NO actual experience I know that my United Healthcare Advantage plan WILL cover me in Mexico for Emergency Care only for 60 days... pay and be reimbursed later when back home in the US.

That said, be VERY careful with anyone suggesting you can somehow get ANY  coverage if you actually live or snowbird in Mexico. FRAUD is the only way to do that.

P.S. I have communicated with Jeff Goble personally and this is exactly what he told me about any Place C coverage.... emergency only and only for travel outside of the US within 60 days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RickS said:

That said, be VERY careful with anyone suggesting you can somehow get ANY  coverage if you actually live or snowbird in Mexico. FRAUD is the only way to do that.

And understand that insurance companies are actively watching for possible fraud from clients abroad. And if they catch you, you will be on the hook for the entire amount of the bill. 

• Like 3

Plan G covers the 15% upcharge to Medicare that some doctors are allowed to bill.  So it is a crap shoot.  I suspect changing plans later may not be so simple without limitations.  I will probably keep what I have because I need something to complain about besides the traffic lakeside.

• Haha 1

On 10/7/2021 at 2:23 PM, ezpz said:

I have heard that they are now covering medical expenses out of country,  but I would like more info.  Anyone know anything about this?  I never go up north, I live here totally full time.  Gracias!

If this were the case, there wouldn't be as many seniors left in the US. It would clear one of the major hurdles for wanna-be expats wishing to relocate.

• Haha 1

OK, just a little experience to illustrate Medicare Part D ( pharmaceuticals)  I went on a trip to the Panama Canal. We left from Florida. I contracted the Flu. Quarantined and given Thera flu and aspirin.  Of course it was much more expensive on the ship. So I submitted a claim  for medication and doctor and nurse bill. BC refused to cover it . They said I was in foreign waters. I countered but " the medication was brought aboard from Florida".  and I really wasn't sure if I was in  foreign water when I contracted the flu. They sent me a check for $ 5.00 for the aspirin. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 2:19 PM, RickS said:

Yes, Kiko, your Original Medicare WITH a Plan G gap policy will cover you but that is a much more expensive route to go. And Cora was asking about Medicare Advantage (Plan C) coverage.

Cora while I have NO actual experience I know that my United Healthcare Advantage plan WILL cover me in Mexico for Emergency Care only for 60 days... pay and be reimbursed later when back home in the US.

P.S. I have communicated with Jeff Goble personally and this is exactly what he told me about any Place C coverage.... emergency only and only for travel outside of the US within 60 days.

Wow - how can this guy Jeff Goble then give such false info on youtube knowing he is watched by hundreds of people that need this info in order to make the important decision of relocating or not to MX for their retirement... it is beyond me how such crooks exist and are probably thriving...

So then why buy part C if it has the 60days limit of being abroad - one could get the supplement or gap (whatever it is called) which already has the 60 days rule in it. He was also "selling" on youtube that some of those advantage plans (many or most of them) have unlimited coverage, not just 50K like the supplement/gap have...

p.s. sorry, I don't get notifications from this thread and just saw this...

Well the jury is still out (for me!) on whether or not the info he is espousing is false or not. Plan C (Medicare Advantage) DOES cover emergency and urgent care situations outside of the US. On a repayment basis.  

There are two things that he is saying that I am not personally sure are true... but I intend on finding out. One is whether or not one can actually live outside the US but then 'pick' a location in the US to 'call your residence' for Plan C coverage. The second thing is if it is true that Plan C coverages have NO 60-day limit as does Original Medicare. 

Below is a link to video where a Panamanian hyper  has Jeff Goble on to discuss this use of  Medicare Plan C if one resides outside of the US. I don't know how 'old' the video is but it does have his phone # and email address given. 

https://panamarelocationtours.com/how-to-use-medicare-in-panama

29 minutes ago, RickS said:

Well the jury is still out (for me!) on whether or not the info he is espousing is false or not. Plan C (Medicare Advantage) DOES cover emergency and urgent care situations outside of the US. On a repayment basis.  

There are two things that he is saying that I am not personally sure are true... but I intend on finding out. One is whether or not one can actually live outside the US but then 'pick' a location in the US to 'call your residence' for Plan C coverage. The second thing is if it is true that Plan C coverages have NO 60-day limit as does Original Medicare. 

Below is a link to video where a Panamanian hyper  has Jeff Goble on to discuss this use of  Medicare Plan C if one resides outside of the US. I don't know how 'old' the video is but it does have his phone # and email address given. 

Unless you have an actual US residence and live there, you would be committing fraud. Whether or not you're caught is probably a roll of the dice. There is a group that did that here (and may be continuing to do so). Their billing is nearly the same as the US. Would you want to be responsible for those costs when/if they were investigated for fraud? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I know that "we/I" have forever stated that that would be fraudulent, but I for one have never verified with Medicare or my Advantage insurance company as to the issue. Have you? Incidentally all MA policies are issued by private companies, not Medicare themselves. As such they get to have some different "rules" from/than Medicare. Maybe this is one that they "allow" but just don't advertise to the masses.

I am asking Jeff Goble to provide me with some "proof" that what he is saying has been vetted by MA company (s) or is he just winging it and just hasn't been caught....yet!?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RickS said:

Yes, I know that "we/I" have forever stated that that would be fraudulent, but I for one have never verified with Medicare or my Advantage insurance company as to the issue. Have you? Incidentally all MA policies are issued by private companies, not Medicare themselves. As such they get to have some different "rules" from/than Medicare. Maybe this is one that they "allow" but just don't advertise to the masses.

I am asking Jeff Goble to provide me with some "proof" that what he is saying has been vetted by MA company (s) or is he just winging it and just hasn't been caught....yet!?

I would be willing to bet that the answers from Medicare and Medicare Advantage would be different.

Medicare Advantage plans, like all insurance companies are out for as much profit as they can squeeze. The more they bill Medicare for, the greater their bottom line. So, they don't probably give two shirts that Jeff's scam is being run in Mexico, but you can bet Medicare would.

I have read multiple articles very recently about Medicare suing Medicare Advantage plans for fraudulent activity. It chaps my cheeks that for profit companies play with the healthcare of people who need it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Through the magic that is the internet, I took 5 seconds and found this:  https://www.medicareinsurance.com/can-i-use-my-medicare-coverage-overseas/#:~:text=Just the Essentials… 1 Original Medicare plans (Parts,allow you to use your Medicare coverage overseas

Obviously, nothing is set in stone, but it still appears that you can only use Medicare overseas in special instances. Anything else still appears to be fraud. If you're so sure that this guy is the answer, then why not go straight to a Medicare rep (phone call or online chat) and get it straight from the source? Everything I've seen so far, whether Medicare, Medicare Advantage or a gap coverage says the same thing:  it may be possible for an emergency WHILE TRAVELING. It doesn't say you can live overseas and collect. 

If anyone has proof otherwise, I'd love to be proven wrong. We pay for it; we should be able to use it.

ETA:  QUOTE:  

But those retiring overseas -- or travelers enrolled in the traditional Medicare program or whose Medicare Advantage plan does not cover foreign travel -- will need to purchase health insurance from another source.

Medicare beneficiaries who are traveling and who have no other coverage must either buy short-term travel insurance or a Medigap policy that covers foreign emergencies. Medigap plans C through J offer travel emergency coverage, but the benefit applies only during the first 60 days of any trip.  UNQUOTE

QUOTE:  Retirees who are moving to a foreign country cannot use Medicare to pay for health care while they are living overseas. The options for retirees are to buy private coverage, to pay into a government-sponsored system in their new country of residence, or to go without coverage. If the retiree is moving to a country with a strong national plan, he or she may be able to pay into the plan and receive coverage similar to that accorded residents of the country. If national insurance isn't an option, many companies offer "expatriate" health insurance plans. Choosing the right plan depends on where the retiree is moving. For example, if a retiree is traveling somewhere remote or with poor local health care, evacuation coverage may be important. Another country may offer excellent health care, but each doctor visit may cost a lot of money, so a plan that covers outpatient doctor visits may be necessary there. No matter where the retiree is moving, another consideration is whether the plan covers pre-existing conditions. UNQUOTE

Both of these were taken from the site http://www.elderlawanswers.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 12/18/2022 at 10:33 AM, RickS said:

Rick, that's exactly the video I watched when I wrote my first post - the lady in the panama relocation tours has exactly the same last name as the lady mariana lange who runs mexico relocation tours and also interviewed jeff:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AULqQcDXSIA - the 2 ladies may be related and they interviewed same guy. In the mexico relocation guide video I linked they don't give any contact info on Jeff - you would have to buy their $495 relocation guide to get his contact.

I used the panama contact info and made an appt with him for Wednesday... it is free - if anybody wants to make an appt.

Exactly the 2 things you mention are the ones I am wondering about too...

We went to Lake Medical Group across from Superlake to ask about this as they very heavily advertise that they accept Medicare Advantage Plan  coverage.

I was honest and related that we are permanent residents and that my wife was considering signing up for an Advantage Plan on her 65th birthday if it would cover her here. She asked if Social Security knows where we live, and I replied that of course they do. She immediately shook her head "no" and said that only residents of the US are eligible and if they find out you live outside the US you will be canceled and you would then be responsible for any outstanding bills.

My life experiences have taught me that using lies to get what I want is generally a piss-poor idea. This whole business stinks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

This subject has been beaten to death.  The answer is always the same......

No matter which supplemental alphabet Medicare plan you buy it only covers you for an emergency while traveling outside of the USA for a maximum of 60 days. 

You must be a US resident to buy that type of plan because it requires a US residence address,  PERIOD. 

Can you use a friends/relatives/mail forwarding address in the USA as your residence? Not legally. 

If you wish to commit fraud ....do so at your own risk.  

If you want to believe youtube videos, facebook posts, or travel promoters instead of the US Federal Medicare website ....do so at your own risk.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Tingting said:

SNIP.....If you're so sure that this guy is the answer....

Tingting, absolutely NOWHERE have I said that "I want to believe this guy". If you will look back at all my Posts on this subject here you will see that I am one of the most prolific posters on NOT believing what he says is true and above board.  In fact, I know that 'some' US Agency is asking about him of people around Lakeside. 

Having said that, I also know two other things.  None of us know first hand about the specific question being posed and calling 'hotlines' does not always get the right information. With regards to 'calling' a Medicare hotline or chatting with them.... they are 'just' clerks and couldn't possibly know all the ends and outs of Medicare, especially Advantage.  

(Case in point:  Years ago I had read/researched about a possible option of having my wife use 1/2 of MY social security benefits level as a monthly payment to her instead of her using her record of contributions until she was 70. AND that even if she had been receiving SS benefits for a couple of years she could 'repay' the amount she had collected for them so far to accomplish this.  IF so, she could/would get much much more monthly payment waiting to 'file' as a 70-year old than she would have as a 65 year old.  The hotline said, "Of course she can't do this'....repay to be able to use 1/2 my amount and then re-apply on her own at 70.  A call to my local county office got the same 'nope'. My financial go-to guy also said 'no'. Convinced that my research was probably valid, I took my 'evidence' to the local office and, after an initial denial, I asked him to look at my info (from deep in the SS Administration website no less and a Kipplinger Research White Paper).  After 10-15 minutes on his computer and a phone consult with his state Administrator, he confessed that he was wrong and I was right!   So my wife did the payback and is getting 50% MORE in SS payments than she would have if I has just listened to the hotline or local office folks and not pursued my research finings!)

Soooo, I do my own research. That is what I am doing here.  I don't believe that it will result in a 'yes you can' verdict, but then folks have been wrong before about things.  AND it keeps my brain active in retirement.  I'd rather do this than stream movies that are really not that good anyway....

• Like 2

RickS I am very interested in what you find out.

On my end I'll talk to Jeff Wednesday afternoon per the appt I made with him and will ask for proof that the medicare advantage works (e.g. bcbs or aetna brochures, anything he has that would prove it). But I don't have much faith that I will get anything out of him... that's why I think we need to dig more until we find some irrefutable evidence written somewhere...

Rick, I'm not trying to argue with you, but all websites, especially MEDICARE's, say exactly the same thing. I know exactly what this guy is advocating because it's nothing new and has been used in this area. It doesn't matter how the question is asked, it doesn't change the answer. Anytime someone tells you to "pick" a US address when you're not a resident....

• Like 2

Yes, you are probably right... and I won't be surprised if it is what it is (like all of us have been espousing all along). I am not naive.  But I will continue to investigate until I am satisfied. It will be interesting to hear what Cora's talk with him reveals. I have an email into him as we speak.  

• Like 1

Reporting back here: no Jeff Goble - he did not "show up" (did not call) for our appointment today. The appt was scheduled for 3pm central time, he did not send an email to cancel (I checked the spam folder too). I waited with the phone by me until 3:45pm...

Have a good evening everyone and happy holidays!

• Haha 2