Chapala.com Webboard

MEDICARE COVERAGE OUT OF COUNTRY AVAILABLE FOR EXPATS?

ezpz

On 10/7/2021 at 10:23 AM, ezpz said:

I have heard that they are now covering medical expenses out of country,  but I would like more info.  Anyone know anything about this?  I never go up north, I live here totally full time.  Gracias!

Some medical insurance coverage like dental, vision and such allow non US billing. Metlife is one.

7 minutes ago, oregontochapala said:

That is not Medicare. 

Neither is medicare in Mexico. Insurance is the only option it seems. Being able to get Mexico's offered insurance is not available unless meeting some residency requirements and I don't think getting Mexico's insurance is a short subject like buying US insurance is. Being a foreigner the Mexcio offered insurance will be a reduced coverage. If you have one of the military insurance plans like Tricare For Life they offer some other company insurances that cover overseas. The US federal retirees get likewise deals.

6 minutes ago, Stream said:

Neither is medicare in Mexico. Insurance is the only option it seems. Being able to get Mexico's offered insurance is not available unless meeting some residency requirements and I don't think getting Mexico's insurance is a short subject like buying US insurance is. Being a foreigner the Mexcio offered insurance will be a reduced coverage. If you have one of the military insurance plans like Tricare For Life they offer some other company insurances that cover overseas. The US federal retirees get likewise deals.

"If you have one of the military insurance plans like Tricare For Life they offer some other company insurances that cover overseas."

As a vet, I have US VA Healthcare however to qualify for the Tricare part you have to have a service connected disability, which I do not, so a no-go here for me.

In any case this thread is about Medicare coverage and has been ploughed through here many times, and unless there is something new, it is a no-go for coverage here. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Why not just wait till we get ALL the feedback we will ever need (and more) from those here who do attend!!! You know the old trope "If it sounds too good to be true......"

I don't think it sounds too good..Rather an "Expert" sharing an alternative  medical plan that may suit "You" and the particular circumstances your are living...Period.  Why is everyone  jumping all over this guy?

21 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

I don't think it sounds too good..Rather an "Expert" sharing an alternative  medical plan that may suit "You" and the particular circumstances your are living...Period.  Why is everyone  jumping all over this guy?

Because his ad in El Ojo del Lago is headlined HOW TO USE YOUR MEDICARE BENIFITS IN MEXICO!  He admits that "Part A and Part B do not cover worldwide emergency and urgent care". He goes on to promote Medicare Advantage Plan Part C. Fine... most of us here have little idea about Part C but a little research with Sn. Google shows:

What is Medicare Part C?

Medicare Part C, also called Medicare Advantage, is an additional insurance option for people who are eligible for Medicare. These plans are offered through private insurance companies.

With original Medicare, you’re covered for Part A (hospital services) and Part B (outpatient medical services).

Medicare Part C offers coverage for parts A and B, plus additional items and services. Some of these include prescription drugs, dental, vision, and many others.

OK...so if you are not interested in these extra benefits, just those in Part A and Part B and what we would call basic Health Insurance...what does his plan COVER here in Mexico and what is the COST. We are all standing by breathlessly waiting the answer!!! 

So to summarize for ezpz asking if any version of Medicare is available for EXPATS living in Mexico full-time. The answer is still NO.

Ian Greenwood and others muddied the water when they talked about plans that are either not Medicare or not available to those living full time OUT of the US.  Ian suggested that 'we old farts' just aren't up to date on the latest and greatest plans but I challenge him to give us specific information of a plan that covers Expats. He is either NOT an expat or if he is he is involved in Medicare fraud. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, bobby brown said:
1 hour ago, RickS said:

So to summarize for ezpz asking if any version of Medicare is available for EXPATS living in Mexico full-time. The answer is still NO.

Ian Greenwood and others muddied the water when they talked about plans that are either not Medicare or not available to those living full time OUT of the US.  Ian suggested that 'we old farts' just aren't up to date on the latest and greatest plans but I challenge him to give us specific information of a plan that covers Expats. He is either NOT an expat or if he is he is involved in Medicare fraud. 

NO Medicare--we are on our own-After this COVID FRAUD- I can't even go to the US to collect my bennies; without being harrassed by this Covid farse--

8 hours ago, gringohombre said:

"If you have one of the military insurance plans like Tricare For Life they offer some other company insurances that cover overseas."

As a vet, I have US VA Healthcare however to qualify for the Tricare part you have to have a service connected disability, which I do not, so a no-go here for me.

In any case this thread is about Medicare coverage and has been ploughed through here many times, and unless there is something new, it is a no-go for coverage here. 

No Medicare in Mexico is simple---FRAUD !!----HA

3 hours ago, gringohombre said:

most of us here have little idea about Part C but a little research with Sn. Google shows:

With respect to suggest that without understanding  and ignorance.  .......  most of us who for various reasons, have fled the northern states and taken a big leap of faith coming to Mexico, not knowing what "Benefits we left , is truly amazing. Thank goodness for people like Jeff to lead you by the hand

A strange and somewhat humorous post from someone located Fort Collins Colorado…..Medicare Advantage  plans often called part C plans are offered by Medicare approved private insurance companies that must follow all Medicare rules .www. Medicare.gov ..simple enough..? As for my being a fraud or not an expat… both $%&/()ic at best… Over 20 years U K..35 years USA ,several years in the Islands and around 12 years full time in Mexico ( although I do travel a couple of months a year )  I’m not quite sure from where I have been expatriated from . To summarize as you would say…  I am obviously an “ expat “ although I prefer “ child of the universe “… l pay taxes In  the US ..I have legitimate property addresses in the US and I have year round  Medicare  coverage in the US not to mention legal emergency Medicare  coverage in Mexico and the rest of the world. As for “ old farts “ that’s how you judged yourself. 

11 hours ago, gringohombre said:

If you went a full 20 you qualify for Tricare. Possibly it was different when you got out or weren't processed out correctly like I wasn't processed out correctly.If you did do the full time qualifying for retirement you qualify for Tricare policies. If you didn't retire out it's VA health care and both Tricare and VA are lousy these days. Good luck. They have a website. FEDVIP I belieeve is where you can check out the policies you might be able to get as prior military or federale. Lots of retired military medical benefits get dropped and conveniently like vultures insurance companies wait for persons wanting real health care :) Check FEDVIP if you did a military retirement.

1 hour ago, Stream said:

If you went a full 20 you qualify for Tricare. Possibly it was different when you got out or weren't processed out correctly like I wasn't processed out correctly.If you did do the full time qualifying for retirement you qualify for Tricare policies. If you didn't retire out it's VA health care and both Tricare and VA are lousy these days. Good luck. They have a website. FEDVIP I belieeve is where you can check out the policies you might be able to get as prior military or federale. Lots of retired military medical benefits get dropped and conveniently like vultures insurance companies wait for persons wanting real health care :) Check FEDVIP if you did a military retirement.

I did 4 and out, so no Tricare, but VA Healthcare is a good backup for emergencies such as the time I had a botched hip replacement here.

pm me with your name and email and I will connect you with the best healthy insurance agents in Mexico for expats, yes medical expenses going up with inflation, it best to be insured. self insurance not the same as it was many years ago. I know of someone who recently had to pay $80,000 US to a Guadalajara hospital. saved their life, but had to cash IRA's  and pay tax on IRAs with withdrawal also. They were to sick to go to USA for Care or fly their. I do not know what they are going to do the next they need medical care ,  their emergency money is gone.

The coverage I have covers me all around the world except USA, i could have chosen to be covered in USA, 

me and my wife like to travel while we are still young, we need to be covered worldwide

I am retired, had health insurance license in USA.

yes health insurance cost money, but its insurance, to cover the emergency when it happens. and peace of mind.

Ian Greenwood, I apologize to you for using you in a personal first-person way while attempting to make a point. I should have just talked in the general sense.

My point was/is that Expats can't get any form of Medicare legally. That's what ezpz asked about. He's an Expat. He can't get Medicare. It really doesn't, IMO, make any difference if one owns half of the US, if one is no longer living in the US... is an Expat... one is not legally entitled to Medicare in any form.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just spent about an hour doing a live chat with several folks at Medicare.gov.  There is no change as to the coverage or limitations to any Medicare Part C plans.  That means you can't legally use that Part C for anything if you are living outside the US or places like Guam or Puerto Rico.  If you don't reside in Mexico but are traveling outside the US for less than 60 days and have a legitimate emergency while traveling here, then the Part C use is legal.  There are a few exceptions but those won't apply to this discussion because we are not a border town or traveling from Alaska through Canada.  Please don't perpetuate fraud and run the risk of having a bigger bill bounce back on you.  There is an organization called NBI MEDIC that investigates fraud, overcharging, theft, etc. on behalf of the Part C insurance providers.  Even if you've had luck in the past with this scam it doesn't mean you will next time.  Several folks here locally have discovered that the hard way and got bills for many times more than what they would have just paid out of pocket.   Alan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/11/2021 at 7:10 AM, traderspoc said:

pm me with your name and email and I will connect you with the best healthy insurance agents in Mexico for expats, yes medical expenses going up with inflation, it best to be insured. self insurance not the same as it was many years ago. I know of someone who recently had to pay $80,000 US to a Guadalajara hospital. saved their life, but had to cash IRA's  and pay tax on IRAs with withdrawal also. They were to sick to go to USA for Care or fly their. I do not know what they are going to do the next they need medical care ,  their emergency money is gone.

The coverage I have covers me all around the world except USA, i could have chosen to be covered in USA, 

me and my wife like to travel while we are still young, we need to be covered worldwide

I am retired, had health insurance license in USA.

yes health insurance cost money, but its insurance, to cover the emergency when it happens. and peace of mind.

traderspoc cannot receive messages.

This thread is getting ridiculous when people start talking about, police and riots..Also fraud. What a lot of irresponsible twaddle

Please please go along to the presentation if you are interested in learning about the " medical advantage " plans. They may or maybe not suitable for you..period

I cannot believe the ignorance of some people when it comes to understanding an important item as senior medical coverage. Many of us came to Mexico without a (medical) care in the world. Well guess what, 20/30 years later we find parts are falling off, wearing out and fixing them cost money, sometimes more than we planned for

Every government web page warns its citizens to have some sort of "travel"  insurance, respective embassy will not bail you out, they are not your piggy banks.

• Sad 1

Nice of you to point out that we have things falling off...But the facts are that most of us can't get Mexican insurance because of age or pre-existing condition.  So the desperation and fear are overcoming common sense.  There is no legal or moral method for residents of Mexico to get Medicare Part C or any other portion of the Medicare plans to cover your expenses while you are in Mexico.  No matter what somebody tells you in a meeting or what some person you know has experienced...it is still fraud.  You can travel back to the US and get things done (like to repair parts that are falling off) but not here.  Some very expensive private plans from US companies might cover you for all medical expenses while you live here but I'd hate to think what that might cost.  All of this should have been considered before moving here.  We all knew we were only going to get older.  Those limited medical options are exactly why many folks give up "paradise" and return to the US even though they might otherwise not like living there.  In the meantime be thankful that medical care here is good and comparatively inexpensive.  Save money every month and have a good credit card limit and hope for the best. 

Enjoy paradise while you can.  Stressing about the unknown can cause illness also.

Alan

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2021 at 2:59 PM, Ferret said:

Then your friend should definitely attend and call the speaker out on it. The speaker is Jeff Goble and it says that he is a health insurance agent specializing in Medicare plans and that he is licensed  in all 50 states of the U.S. His contact information is via whatsapp or call 1(916)601-7128 or e-mail JGOBLE@HEALTHMARKETS.COM

The above information taken directly from the full page ad.

No insurance agent is licensed in all 50 states. That is like claiming a lawyer is licensed in all 50 states. If you want to be charged with Medicare fraud, spend a few years in prison, plus pay back every penny Medicare fraudently with penalty and interest, go for it. Having Medicare pay outside of the US is illegal and you will be a criminal. Call Medicare and ask.

3 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

This thread is getting ridiculous when people start talking about, police and riots..Also fraud. What a lot of irresponsible twaddle

Please please go along to the presentation if you are interested in learning about the " medical advantage " plans. They may or maybe not suitable for you..period

I cannot believe the ignorance of some people when it comes to understanding an important item as senior medical coverage. Many of us came to Mexico without a (medical) care in the world. Well guess what, 20/30 years later we find parts are falling off, wearing out and fixing them cost money, sometimes more than we planned for

Every government web page warns its citizens to have some sort of "travel"  insurance, respective embassy will not bail you out, they are not your piggy banks.

An insurance travel package will not cover you if you are a resident outside the US and not travelling. Medicare advantage programs are privaye insurance, not federal Medicare. Because the name "Medicare" is in the name, that doesn't make it Medicare. Use Medicare to pay medical expenses outside of the US and be prepared to be prosecuted for fraud the same as people who defraud other US programs.

I'm Canadian and am also not eligible for the majority of health care programs here because of pre-existing conditions. I pay as I go and set money aside to do so. Even when my hubby got cancer, we didn't go back to Canada even though we could have re-instated our Canadian health care after three months. It's about being where you want to be and enjoying quality of life... which didn't include Canadian winters or the expense that entails.

Thank you for your input Joco. I merely stated what the ad "states". Buyer beware.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Brian Dalziel said:

Perhaps the Chapala police should be alerted because, based on this discussion, a riot might break out when when Lakeside Medical Group begins presenting their Medicare Advantage Plan seminars there this week.

No riot but maybe Medicare should be told and it should investigate it. If you want to use Medicare, go use it in the the US, the legal way.

2 hours ago, barrbower said:

Those limited medical options are exactly why many folks give up "paradise" and return to the US even though they might otherwise not like living there.

That explains our situation perfectly. We remain trapped in the USA by our age-related medical needs.

• Like 1