Chapala.com Webboard

The current lake level

cedros

Normal and average are two different things.  If the average drops over several years of lower levels then that becomes "normal."  With this being a lagoon as opposed to a deep lake,  fluctuations are "normal" and are very dependent on climate conditions.  I've seen the shore all the way up to 16th of Sept. in Ajijic and I've seen the shore a mile out with the exposed land being used for football fields, farming, and even fenced for livestock.  Both conditions were normal but not average.  Whatever the average is, it's good to see it now coming up a little.  We could still have several more inches of water this season or...no more rain at all.  Either would be "normal."

Alan

I also have seen both sides to this equation. About 40 years ago, on my first visit here, the water was covering the Chapala pier and flooding the old railroad station. Then on another visit about 20 years ago when you could hardly see the water. I guess normal and average can be conflated but "my normal" is what I have seen on my daily walks along the SAT malecon during my almost 14 years here full time. What I see now is about the "average" for during this time period and for this time of year. In my mind "normal" is not high...not low...normal!!!

In English "lagoon" is normally used to define an area of salt water separated from the ocean by a sand bar, for instance.  In Spanish Lake Chapala is called "Luguna de Chapala" on Mexican maps and in common usage.  Mexican Wiki says the same.  They define it that way by virtue of it's characteristics...primarily it's shallow depth and propensity for dramatic expansion and shrinkage depending on seasonal weather.  Just like Lagunas de Cuitzeo and Yuriria which are just north of Morelia.  All are destined to one day be wetlands and then seasonally verdant plains.  Many, many years ago Guadalajara was a laguna.  When it rains really hard, parts of it can still require a boat.  I have read that all of this part of Mexico was at one time a single huge body of fresh water.  Nobody was around then so I don't know what they called it!

Alan

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Normal...

Who to believe -conagua who have a numer of professionally run meassuring sites around the lake or some rookie observing a small portion of the lake.  

2 minutes ago, cedros said:

Who to believe -conagua who have a numer of professionally run meassuring sites around the lake or some rookie observing a small portion of the lake.  

OK...but it's  MY portion and and in my humble opinion...NORMAL!!! And remember...a rising tide lifts ALL boats!!!

35 minutes ago, gringal said:

High, low, "normal", "lagoon" or "lake".......I'm just happy that it isn't like the situation where the bodies of water feeding California are shrinking at an alarming rate!!

Yeah...and they let it all run out into the ocean instead of planning ahead with dams and reservoirs. I'm glad I got out of California when I did in 2008...It's gone all downhill since then!!!

33 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Yeah...and they let it all run out into the ocean instead of planning ahead with dams and reservoirs. I'm glad I got out of California when I did in 2008...It's gone all downhill since then!!!

Beat you to it.....got out in 2004.  And yes, it's a shame how the water situation has been handled there.