Chapala.com Webboard

Oral Surgeon recommendations

Carrol

Using a scale of 1-5, (5 being Best) I sure would appreciate recommendations for Oral Surgeons --either at Lakeside or in Guadalajara-- who do tooth extraction and implant using General Anesthesia (where the patient is asleep).  If you have an idea of general cost per tooth, I'd  appreciate that as well.  Thanks!

Not your question, but have to ask. Have you considered "I V (intravenous) Sedation" instead of full general anaesthetic? I had the former for some complex dental work in late 1980's in Canada....... anaesthetist came to my dentist's office and remained during the procedure, regulating the flow to keep me "out enough to feel nothing but not as "out cold" as a general would have done, and which poses its own inherent dangers.

• Like 2

I don’t think they do general anesthesia in a dental office,  I won’t recommend the dentist but there is at least one dentist at lakeside that will bring in an anesthesiologist who will put you in the twilight zone.. so I’m sure there are others. Dr Haro who is the best dentist at Lakeside, I don’t think he does anesthesia, he is so gentle you don’t need it… 

• Thanks 1

I personally would book a consultation with either or both Dr. Haro's office in Riberas and Dr. Barragan in Mirasol.  

I am not confident that Dr. Haro is even practicing much any more but his office is certainly well recommended. Dr. Barragan is a sure bet for me. There are others of course but why not start off at the top! 

• Like 5

Due to a number of horrific dental f*ups early in life, when I needed a lot of deferred dental work, I found a wonderful DDS in Tucson who was licensed to use IV "twilight" sedation.  It wasn't cheap, but I gladly paid it (dental insurance didn't cover it).  

When we found ourselves in FL after leaving AZ, I sought a DDS that used IV sedation.  Found one that even had a separate sedation area.  But when I needed a crown a few years later, the dental practice told me their insurance rates had skyrocketed for them and other sedation DDS in the area.  They were no longer using IV sedation for 'routine' work due to the insurance costs.  

They talked me into trying the valium route.  I was sure it wouldn't work (I had been using IV twilight for deep cleanings!).  My DDS said try it--if you tell me when get in the chair that you don't want me start, that's fine. 

She told me to take 1 valium an hour before my appointment then when I got there they would ask if I wanted another (YES PLEASE!!).  Well, it went smooth as silk for that crown and another one a few years later.  

I once read a first person story of a dental-phobe here who managed to find a DDS in Guadalajara willing to contact an anesthesiologist to administer sedation (I think it was general anesthesia) so he could do the dental work.  I recall the anesthesiologist would only do it in a hospital, so there was that added cost, hassle.  I tried to find this story from several years ago but have not found it.

Most dental offices are not equipped for general anesthesia, a lot of specialized equipment is needed.  For IV sedation all you need is an anesthesiologist, an oxygen bottle an a IV pole..

I had IV sedation 4 years ago the cost was 8000 peso plus the dental procedure cost. 

Another female dentist, Dra. Candy, who has a hit and miss reputation on this board. She made some ceramic crowns for me, and no problems. My wife, on the other hand, had big problems with her novacaine , 3 shots, no effect. Dra. Candy was setting up a room, and a person who used mild medicine and alternative pain control medications but she is not a licensed aneseothologist. We both go to Dr. Manuel at Quality Care. He is very gentle, and tells you what is going on at all times. But no general aesthesia, but his parent dental practise in Guadalajara may offer it. Sounds like you need a Guadalajara trip to me. Leend Dental

I had a root canal at Dr. Barragan's office (not my regular dentist) and I absolutely recommend him 1001x! I'd had a really bad experience from another doc and was scared to death but it went smoothly and painlessly. I can't speak for the twilight sedation or if it's available, but I'd start there.

• Like 1