Chapala.com Webboard

Need water purification system for house

Alexito10

We're in search of a new company to help us with an existing water purification system. For the main house we have combination of carbon and UV light with RO under the kitchen sink. We had to install the RO system because the main house water filtering through the carbon filters and UV tastes terrible and has a weird smell.

It's been checked out by the supplier who installed the system said it was fine. He said possibly the water should be checked for arsenic. We have not done this. Filters have been changed, etc. We live in Chula Vista.  Our neighbors say their water is fine.

Any thoughts on this problem and recommendations for a different supplier? We think the problem may be in the filtration or ?? Can PM me if you like. Many thanks!

15 hours ago, Alexito10 said:

We're in search of a new company to help us with an existing water purification system. For the main house we have combination of carbon and UV light with RO under the kitchen sink. We had to install the RO system because the main house water filtering through the carbon filters and UV tastes terrible and has a weird smell.

It's been checked out by the supplier who installed the system said it was fine. He said possibly the water should be checked for arsenic. We have not done this. Filters have been changed, etc. We live in Chula Vista.  Our neighbors say their water is fine.

Any thoughts on this problem and recommendations for a different supplier? We think the problem may be in the filtration or ?? Can PM me if you like. Many thanks!

If you have RO at the sink you don't need to worry about arsenic.  If you depend on your carbon/charcoal filter to do so it won't. They do have specific filters for arsenic but normal filters around here are not this kind of filter.

I am guessing the carbon filter is a tank with carbon vs a carbon cartridge and if so then I am guessing the carbon is old and leaching off some of the organics or other stuff it adsorbed. If the UV sterilizer is after the carbon then this maybe generating the smell in the water; try unplugging the UV and see how the water smells; if it still smells then if it was me I would replace the carbon or bypass the filter.

I use a 4" x 20" carbon impregnated filter cartridge which works very well and I change the cartridge every 4 months.

I do not use UV but have an under the sink RO system for kitchen use.

I am no expert on this subject.  But the way I understand is that UV just zaps the pathogens and amoebas and kills them.  It does not remove heavy metals and poisons out of the water.  RO is the way to go for potable drinking water.   It is good to have both systems.  UV is good for your bathroom and shower water and RO is preferable for your kitchen drinking water.  We also have both.  I would personally not drink much of the UV filtered water.  Since it probably still retains the heavy metals and arsenic.  But brushing your teeth with it is probably ok.  Its is better to drink only the RO water.

During our 13+ years in Chapala, we had UV and filtration at our first house in Ajijic, and our longer residence in Chapala Centro. We are now still alive; which is not the case for most of our contemporaries from 1937-1948. I don't know that any of them died from arsenic, or any other water-born causes resulting from living in Mexico and enjoying live there to the fullest.

Asi es la vida..........que se continua.

• Thanks 1

It mostly depends a lot on if you rent or own.  If you rent you probably would prefer not to invest so much.  If you own and do decide to invest in a home water purification system by all means it will need to be serviced regularly.  If your RO tastes aweful and smells bad, something is definitly wrong.  We use Jackie at H2Olé.

Don't forget Flint, Michigan... Key moments in Flint, Michigan’s lead-tainted water crisis (apnews.com)

And in Canada... the Cryptosporidium outbreak in well water in Walkerton, Ontario

There are many other cases in both the U.S. and Canada and they are considered to be first world countries. Protect yourself and your family... everywhere.

• Like 1

I'm having trouble understanding the OPs problem.

I've lived in Chula Vista for ten years and served on their Board for three. I have never had a water issue and drink and cook from the tap.

The water comes from two wells, 200 meters deep. The water is tested daily by staff for proper chlorine levels. Quarterly, the water is tested by a CONAGUA certified Lab in Guadalajara for contaminants - arsenic, heavy metals like Mercury, etc..  

Have you spoken to Lucy at the Office about your problem? You may have another issue.

SunFan

The most common cause of a "bad smell" from your water is Hydrogen Sulfide, which may be from the well servicing your area, or even from your own aljibe being dirty for a very long time.  If you have a faucet location that is directly from the street water, before your aljibe and/or tinaco, check to see if it smells. If it does, it is from the water supply.  If not, the smell is from your own system.

• Like 2