Chapala.com Webboard

Internet TV options

RCman

We recently changed to TotalPlay  fibre optic line from Telmex land line (we owned it), internet/wifi (for MUCH faster, better speed), and basic mexican channels (for Guad news only). We DO own a Firestick for all the channels and more than you are getting from Shaw. Another solution is to upgrade to their English channels... something we didn't need.... but a friend has that.

While you can't import the Firestick model required (Mexico won't allow Amazon to ship) , Rich Guarino (THE firestick guy) often has some to sell. And he will do all the setup needed for that portion and teach you to use it for a MOST reasonable price.

TotalPlay does all the rest. The process was pretty  mind-boggling for me ( SO not a tech person) but after 2 weeks had my head well wrapped around it and after 3 am totally sold.  NO buffering with 40 mgb but 100 and more are available if wanted.  You can opt for any or all of the services mentioned.

If you send me a pm with email address I'll send you 2 1/2 pages I put together for me and others re: same.

• Thanks 1

It amazes me the misinformation people post on here.

You cannot get the latest version of the Firestick on Amazon USA

Amazon MX has the latest Firestick and best one available for 1,399 peso, it was on sale 2 weeks ago for 999 peso.  It has the 2021 firmware installed.  and is voice activated with Alexa, In my opinion that is the best one to get.,  I think it’s better than the 4K version because the 4K one doesn’t have 2021 firmware and it’s really difficult to stream 4K video. I would also purchase an Ethernet adapter for 399 peso so you can plug an Ethernet cable into your Firestick. Using an Ethernet cable is usually better than WiFi ..

If you look on YouTube there are lots of videos on how to side load apps on to your Firestick, it’s really quiet easy..   But I guess if you are really really really technically challenged and have trouble turning your TV on you can  pay someone  500 peso to side load your Firestick..

• Sad 1

At this moment, I'm renting a small, furnished house in Chula Vista that comes with wifi access to an Ilox internet connection.  I have connected to the rental unit's TV a Roku Express HD device that I acquired in the U.S. for under USD 40.00, through which I've been streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and You-Tube without any buffering.  YMMV.

17 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

It amazes me the misinformation people post on here.You cannot get the latest version of the Firestick on Amazon USA

I would also purchase an Ethernet adapter f plug an Ethernet cable into your Firestick. Using an Ethernet cable is usually better than WiFi ..

f you look on YouTube there are lots of videos on how to side load apps on to your Firestick, it’s really quiet easy..   But I guess if you are really really really technically challenged and have trouble turning your TV on you can  pay someone  500 peso to side load your Firestick..

Who said anything about needing the latest version? Some tech friends say the older one is better.

Ethernet was how we used our old Android box. But Rich (and one more) said NOT to go that route as FS works better on wifi.

Glad to see you're still your usual snarky & judgmental self. 🤣.Easy for some is not possible in this lifetime for others. AND FYI Rich does a LOT more than simply load what you want onto the Firestick. But since you're so much smarter than  the rest of us, you don't need to know.

• Like 2

Thank you for those kind words, but really I don’t consider myself smarter than anyone else.. What I do have is perseverance,, 

That is the first time ever heard that  WiFi is better than an Ethernet cable.. 

Do you think I should dispute Amazon’s claims that Ethernet will always be better than WiFi..?

20 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

Thank you for those kind words, but really I don’t consider myself smarter than anyone else.. What I do have is perseverance,, 

That is the first time ever heard that  WiFi is better than an Ethernet cable.. 

Do you think I should dispute Amazon’s claims that Ethernet will always be better than WiFi..?

Ethernet = cable  should 99% be better than wifi.  

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Ethernet = cable  should 99% be better than wifi.  

Well perhaps it boils down to what's supporting your ethernet cable.  Telmex lousy wifi speed (depending if you can get  better service from them where you live)., or better source by other means?

13 hours ago, Natasha said:

Well perhaps it boils down to what's supporting your ethernet cable.  Telmex lousy wifi speed (depending if you can get  better service from them where you live)., or better source by other means?

No matter who your service provider is..... a cable connection (ethernet) to the modem will be better than a Wifi connection to the modem 99% of the time. 

The info I was giving was related modem connection;  cable vs Wifi  not service providers. 

39 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

No matter who your service provider is..... a cable connection (ethernet) to the modem will be better than a Wifi connection to the modem 99% of the time. 

The info I was giving was related modem connection;  cable vs Wifi  not service providers. 

Not wanting to argue .... but as I've stressed many times before, NOT a techie.... so must trust those who are. I had an android box and yes, worked better (until it croaked) with ethernet connection than wifi. But when I first got the Firestick it was Rich aka Mr. Firestick (and one other) who both told me NOT to use that same ethernet cable for the Firestick.

In those days we still had Telmex, with lousy download speed where we live. FIrestick via wifi worked well but buffering had gotten worse recently, provoking the change to TotalPlay for their faster speed....... because more speed  NOT available to us from Telmex for any price. But hey..... what do I know?

Ethernet is more reliable than Wifi . Due to the nature of how data is transferred across each of these connection types, ethernet is just better. Wi-Fi transmits data via radio waves which is why it is wireless, but unfortunately, radio waves can be interfered with in several ways and there are few ways to protect from this. That means Wi-Fi is more susceptible to data loss, lag, and connectivity issues.

A wired connection is protected, so that the data isn't interfered with and therefore is unlikely to be interrupted or disrupted. This also has the added benefit of giving each device their own connection which means bandwidth won't be limited between them.

Ethernet wins here, hands down. Unfortunately, Wi-Fi just can’t compete when it comes to having a stable and reliable connection.

• Like 2

So Rich said WiFi works better with Firesticks than does ethernet. Not in general. But I would really like to know upon what he bases that comment. He's no dummy. I suspect a misinterpretation, or an "easy answer" on his part to get out of a lengthy technical explanation. A strict interpretation of Natasha's post is that he actually meant don't use that ethernet cable, perhaps damaged.

3 minutes ago, Out1 said:

I have tested both WiFi and ethernet cables many times with a Firestick 4K and a FireTV Cube. WiFi was always fastest on a speed test using Nperf website; my opinion was that the multifunction ethernet adapter was relatively poor.

That could easily be the case. And the cable itself must be able to sustain high speeds. Even though Category 5 is rated for 100, which is more than enough for most people, a higher-rated cable like Category 6 simply allows more bandwidth through. It could also be that the Firestick hardware is poor at the receving end.

In general, a wired connection is superior to a wifi connection. Cat5e cabling, which has been in use for many years, is capable of Gig speeds. You will not see those kinds of speeds on wifi unless you have the latest technology running with zero interference, which is not likely.

The firestick may have limitations on the wired connection. 

20 minutes ago, 2Expats said:

In general, a wired connection is superior to a wifi connection. Cat5e cabling, which has been in use for many years, is capable of Gig speeds. You will not see those kinds of speeds on wifi unless you have the latest technology running with zero interference, which is not likely.

The firestick may have limitations on the wired connection. 

Agreed. I had Rich reprogram one of Derick's old fiesticks for me. I told him my Ilox routers wifi was horrible and that I'd ordered a Cable adapter so that I could hard wire the firestick. He at no time said it would be worse. He did comment on the Ilox modem complaint being common. When I unplug the cable and go back to wifi, I get more buffering on the firestick. My Ilox is line of sight and less than 20ft away, yet I only see 1 of 3 bars for WIFI signal strength. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyPanda said:

So Rich said WiFi works better with Firesticks than does ethernet. Not in general. But I would really like to know upon what he bases that comment. He's no dummy. I suspect a misinterpretation, or an "easy answer" on his part to get out of a lengthy technical explanation. A strict interpretation of Natasha's post is that he actually meant don't use that ethernet cable, perhaps damaged.

(1)  Yes... FIRESTICKS specifically. That's what he said  the day he installed mine and I had the ethernet cable right there, expecting that's what he was going to use. He declined that option.

(2) NO... he has never avoided any question I  throw at him and is always more than patient as he explains stuff.

(3) You would have to ask Rich the basis for his comment / belief. When I asked for his input before gettng TP he told me 100 mgb was what he has in his own house to be sure FS  via wifi is the best he can get. But he also said he has clients with 40 and it was working for them so I could go ahead and start with that. AFTER TP install, he came to fix a few FS glitches ...... still never a mention of changing to direct connection.

(4) My ethernet Cat 6 cable was practically brand new, well placed and protected, and NOT damaged in any way.

• Like 1

If I’m not mistaken about a year or so ago the Gadget Guy posted on here or maybe it was FB  about a guy called Rich who purchased a Firestick from him, he commented about how he was watching him install it, and asking questions, he even called him at home with questions, then a few weeks later he is on FB selling Firesticks and installing them.. The Gadget Guy was pissed…

Is this the same Rich Natasha is promoting, ?  Maybe he doesn’t want to use the Ethernet connection because the Gadget Guy didn’t explain how to connect it to him.. Firesticks do not have an Ethernet port so you have to know how to connect the Ethernet cable..

11 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

a guy called Rich who purchased a Firestick from him, ..........Firesticks do not have an Ethernet port

You would likely be mistaken. Rich has been THE go-to guy for FIresticks around here for a while and has a solid reputation. (Something I can't say for Gadget Guy IMO )  MY FIrestick instructions  specifically say to use HDM1 WIFI.... with or without extender.  Can't speak to yours.

Is being so constantly  contentious in your genes or???

• Like 2

I am not being contentious or mistaken, Just trying to understand about using an Ethernet cable vs WiFi..  Using WiFi would have been a lot easier than fishing the cable through the wall.. but I took Amazon’s advice and went with Ethernet.

Maybe the guy you are promoting is right and everyone else is wrong including Amazon when they say it is better to use an Ethernet cable than WiFi.