Chapala.com Webboard

Import duty Amazon

fishcake

You can find out easily. Just click on your choice of laptops. The description page will show you the total shipping and duty costs, and whether or not they ship here. If you carry on to the last page before confirming purchase, it will break out the duty from the shipping.

It tends do be around 14%, which is better than the standard border IVA charge of 16%.

2 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

You can find out easily. Just click on your choice of laptops. The description page will show you the total shipping and duty costs, and whether or not they ship here. If you carry on to the last page before confirming purchase, it will break out the duty from the shipping.

It tends do be around 14%, which is better than the standard border IVA charge of 16%.

I went to the final payout Amazon page & they only show shipping & that I will be charged duty

If you have an established Amazon.com account and you have entered your MX address, this is what you should see if you put a laptop etc. in your Cart and continue to Checkout (Note:  I just randomly clicked on the first laptop shown.):

Order Summary

Items: $549.99
Shipping & handling: $9.86

Total before tax: $559.85
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit: $112.44

Order total: $672.29
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ibarra said:

If you have an established Amazon.com account and you have entered your MX address, this is what you should see if you put a laptop etc. in your Cart and continue to Checkout (Note:  I just randomly clicked on the first laptop shown.):

Order Summary

Items: $549.99
Shipping & handling: $9.86

Total before tax: $559.85
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit: $112.44

Order total: $672.29

Mine shows estimated tax USD  0.00. It does not show "import fees deposit"  but says country may charge import duties & taxes that you have to pay ahead of delivery.

12 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

Do you have an Amazon account? Are you signed in? Do you have a SHIPPING address?

Yes yes & yes

USD tax only applies to an order within the US. Argue all you want. I have bought a lot of electronics on both US and MX and the duty/import fee charge is always shown if it's an import. My invoices are just like ibarra's. I might add that Amazon is pretty accurate and my over payment refund is usually about  80 cents cdn mas o menos.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, fishcake said:

Interesting as I ordered on Amazon US showing my Ajijic address for a destination.  It will be shipped by Aventis Systems from Atlanta Ga.  I have not yet given payment.

If you haven't paid and/or the vendor doesn't ship to Mx,you ain't getting it. You only get invoiced[showing all charges] when you've paid but some vendors don't know what the MX duty is so they won't include what they don't know. I usually avoid dealing with that kind of inexperienced vendor but on occasion have and been surprised by a charge for it by the courier[eg-Fedex]. I try to only use vendors that use Amazon shipping service and that doesn't happen with them ever.

We have been ordering from Amazon.com and shipping to MX for over 20 years. No shipping company has ever been available until item actually ships.  You certainly aren't looking at a product that is being sold by Amazon,  it must be a third party seller.   We would be concerned that Amazon's AZ guarantee would not be valid if there was a problem. But that's us.

• Like 1