Chapala.com Webboard

Coffee pods

BeanRoy

Nespresso, Nescafe Mexico, was running a pod of the month club, promoted by George Clooney. I thought their prices were quite reasonable, considering the very high duties for imported coffees. Maybe there have been recent changes as Mexico opened up more trade agreements with their Latin America neighbors. On youtube there are many posters showing how to pack your own pods. La Abruzza is an Italian brand packaged and marketed in Mexico. La Cremeria usually has it, but it is very expensive.

https://www.nespresso.com/mx/en/order/capsules/original

On 9/13/2021 at 3:37 PM, Mostlylost said:

If you need the Keurig style pods you can save a bundle by filling reusable pods with your favorite coffee.   A set of 4 is available on Amazon MX for $200.

Saving a bundle isn't the only consideration. Those one use coffee pods are environmentally irresponsible.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Only gave one small example. Do I have to be your encyclopedia? Or is just your continuing job to be a sniper?

You completely missed the point in your ongoing crusade to be a ninny.

So you are BeanRoy on here too? Any other handles you've registered and post under that the mods should know about?

pedro kertesz

Why not just buy the coffee beans, grind them and use the paper filters???

This conversation is just as revealing and about as silly as Walmart banning plastic bags at the checkout counter and having massive amounts of all sizes and thickness on the shelves for sale as well as all the food and other packaging flying out the door!!! And if you have a compassionate bone in your body, how about all those poor old bag ladies who lost earnings and the satisfaction of having a job that was neither demeaning nor stressful. 

The whole world is going insane and I am sorry to say that my home country, the USA is leading the way!!! 

• Like 1

We have a stovetop/propane burner expresso machine. It makes a lovely cup of coffee. For latte and foam, we heat whole milk, and a bit of sugar in the microwave and then use a battery powered foamer in the milk. I wonder which is more expensive for energy to make one cup - electricity or gas?

4 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

We have a stovetop/propane burner expresso machine. It makes a lovely cup of coffee. I wonder which is more expensive for energy to make one cup - electricity or gas?

In the grand scheme of things it is not going to make one billionth of a blip on the pimple of a donkeys' arse!!!

32 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Why not just buy the coffee beans, grind them and use the paper filters???

This conversation is just as revealing and about as silly as Walmart banning plastic bags at the checkout counter and having massive amounts of all sizes and thickness on the shelves for sale as well as all the food and other packaging flying out the door!!! And if you have a compassionate bone in your body, how about all those poor old bag ladies who lost earnings and the satisfaction of having a job that was neither demeaning nor stressful. 

The whole world is going insane and I am sorry to say that my home country, the USA is leading the way!!! 

The old ladies are back at Soriana.

2 hours ago, ibarra said:

Older people are back at Soriana. But still bags only big enough for an apple. Gringhombre has it right. You can buy plastic bags, you can put veggies in plastic bags but not groceries at checkout.  Hmmm

So bring your own reusable shopping bags. That's what a lot of people do now. And you tip the baggers.

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

Well, I try to not buy things which are overpackaged. Batteries? Buy them at Steren- no packaging at all.

Steren has exactly the same kind of plastic packaging. It's where I usually get mine.

Still, that's hardly the point, is it? Some people got up in arms about a request for coffee pods. I challenge those people to show that they are 100% packaging free and 100% recyclable. What does their toilet paper come in? What is their toilet paper made of? How do they dispose of their garbage? What does their bacon come in? Their cereal? Their restaurant deliveries? Are they all on solar instead of electricity? Let's get serious.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

So bring your own reusable shopping bags. That's what a lot of people do now. And you tip the baggers.

I do.  But thank you for pointing that out to others who, after many years of doing this need you to tell them again that this is what they may want to do.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ibarra said:

I do.  But thank you for pointing that out to others who, after many years of doing this need you to tell them again that this is what they may want to do.

Well, you seemed to be complaining about the small size of the check-out bags provided, which I don't know why anyone would do if they brought their own bags.

• Like 1